“Beautiful hotel in perfect location!”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Merrion! Called and booked 2 rooms directly with the hotel and the receptionist was very pleasant and friendly. Took no time at all and a confirmation email was sent to us immediately. Better price than the Westbury, Westin, and other hotels so it was an easy decision. The location is absolutely perfect, and the hotel is stunning. Staff was very welcoming, helpful, and accommodating. Had delicious afternoon tea in front of the fire. Our rooms were well-appointed and immaculate, though the blankets were a little thin. We had a very good dinner in the Cellar and drinks at the Cellar Bar. O'Donoghue's right around the corner was our favorite pub in Dublin. Would definitely stay at the Merrion again and recommend it to family and friends! Perfect place to end our Ireland adventure!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed our Art Afternoon Tea which is always a favourite of our guests.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and that you have another memorable stay with us.

Peter Mac Cann

Write a ReviewReviews (3,569)

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have stayed in numerous hotels in Dublin when on business, this time I was booked into the Merrion.

A very unassuming frontage belies the large efficient friendly and comfortable hotel that is the Merrion. Spread across numerous properties around a block in Dublin centre, but the ability to move inside the hotel makes this all seamless.

Warm welcome taken to the room and shown what one needed to know, the standard great, even a Bose Wave sound system - perfection.

We ate out that evening so I only sampled the food at breakfast where the welcome was very friendly and the service outstanding good explanation fast and nothing too much trouble.

Check out was a breeze despite being busy around half past eight.

One regret with my stay - it was only one night!

Room Tip: Any room would be good, I had one on the third floor at the bank overlooking the garden - out sandin...
1  Thank Barry B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review following your recent visit to The Merrion.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us.

I hope it is not too long before you return to us again for a longer stay and enjoy more of the facilities on offer here at The Merrion.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Only here for one night, but we loved it. We were upgraded (always a nice feeling). The room looked over the garden and was wonderfully quiet. Bed was very comfortable, and huge bathroom. The public rooms are lovely, and a great place for a quiet drink or pot of tea.

The best thing, though, would be the staff - they are solicitous while being warm and friendly.

I am so looking forward to a longer stay...

3  Thank Feline_charm

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review following your recent stay with us which I was pleased to read.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Every one of my colleagues’ endeavour’s to provide our guests with as comfortable a stay as possible and I am glad that you had such an enjoyable time.

I am delighted that you are looking forward to a longer stay and we are looking forward to the privilege of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I'm Irish but now live abroad but visit Dublin a lot. I had never stayed in the Merrion and usually stay in the Shelbourne or the Fitzwilliam. To be honest it didn't live up to the glowing reviews here. Check in was very nice. Room was ok - faced a brick wall and some sort of gym. Common areas - eg around the lifts etc. are a bit shabby. Pool nice but small and the gym area was full of locals early in the morning. The hotel seems to sell gym memberships to the public. Breakfast was ok. I was in a hurry which I explained to the staff and they did serve me very rapidly.

Service in the lounge area was appalling on the other hand. each time I asked for a glass of wine it took about 20 mins to arrive. The place was not exactly packed.

The service was very good overall but I really don't understand the rave reviews of this hotel.

3  Thank lawchick

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us, which I was disappointed to read.
Firstly, with regards to the room type, we have many different room types available, some of our rooms have city views and others look over our gardens so it may have been that you were in a room with a view of the city. I am pleased to advise you that we are approaching the end of a refurbishment programme within the hotel and all public areas shall be reviewed in due course.

With regards to the Tethra Spa we do have public membership available for our external guests of The Merrion but I can assure you that it is very limited as the comfort of our Hotel residents is always to the forefront of our minds.

I was concerned to read your feedback regarding the service you received in our Drawing Rooms and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly at generalmanager@merrionhotel.com to elaborate on the issues you had so we can prevent them from reoccurring.

I am glad that you enjoyed the overall service in The Merrion and I do look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I took a belated honeymoon to Ireland and spent our first night at the Merrion Hotel. They upgraded us to a suite and we got five star treatment the whole time we were there. The room was amazing - it was so beautiful (and clean). The service was great with one of the managers coming to greet us when we arrived. We got one of the hotel packages, which included champagne on arrival and dinner at the Cellar Restaurant. I think the only negative would be that the restaurant's food was probably a four out of five (my beef carpaccio was a bit bland. It could have had some parmesan cheese or be a bit more salty), but the breakfast there the next morning was also amazing! Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CanuckKiwi09

Dear Guest,

We are truly honoured that you chose to spend your honeymoon with us. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the feedback which I have taken on board.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon, possibly to celebrate your 1st anniversary!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Unfortunately, we had to check out today. The Merrion Hotel, it's staff, it's rooms, it's character, it's experience, it's warmth, it's style - all 5 star.

We live in Dublin, and checked in for one night for a special occasion. We enjoyed the hotel so much, we booked for a second night the next day - and will certainly be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ahnwy
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I am delighted that you decided to extend your stay with us. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and you have as an enjoyable stay as the last.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here for a week in January on my own. A truly wonderful hotel.

check-in quick and easy. polite if not quite 'friendly' staff generally. Rate was very good.

Had a room in the new part of the hotel just about overlooking the garden. was a bit dark as in a corner on ground floor. but it was winter too. room itself was in Excellent condition. Great amenities, tons of towels comfy bed, nice shower. TV was fine though tended to turn itself off sometimes. wifi was ok. can't remember if included or not. breakfast was excellent, but did get busy on the weekend (which, to be fair, they warned guests about which was a nice touch). lovely sitting areas with fires and amazing art collection. had club sandwich in lobby bar/area - was fine but bit pricey. downstairs in the Cellar bar was ok but with so many 'real' irish pubs near by you'd be bonkers to be down there for too long/often.

location excellent. minutes from most of the sites, restaurants, pubs and shopping. taxi's always going past. staff at front door were pleasant and helpful.

only small thing is i don't think its terribly child friendly (like under-10s). its an adult hotel, quite quiet and reserved and lots of steps etc. if you want somewhere for that, Four Seasons is much better equipped in my opinion.

but overall, one of the best hotels i've stayed in anywhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank WharfTrader

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and you found the location convenient.
We welcome guests of all ages and please accept my apologies if you felt that we were not child friendly as this was most definitely not our intention. We do love to welcome younger guests and we have special children's amenities, including our Miss and Master Programme with cutlery designed especially for our younger guests.

I do hope that you shall return to the Merrion in the not too distant future.