“The best hotel in the world!”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“The best hotel in the world!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

The only place to stay in Dublin is The Merrion Hotel. The fabulous rooms, service and location cannot be beat! Between sightseeing and business, it was always a joy to retreat to the drawing room for afternoon tea or a pre-dinner cocktail. Our server, Alexandre, was especially helpful and fun to chat with. I look forward to visiting the Merrion in the future.

Stayed July 2014
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us and for your extremely generous compliment.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 6 July 2014

To me the Merrion Hotel is the what Tiffany is to Holly Golightly - nothing bad can happen here. It is a special place. It isn't cheap - it is a treat and we can't afford to spend more than one or two nights at a time here, we have always been treated in thee same courteous manner by all members of staff. The rooms are furnished in a traditional manner, always well equipped and decorated with attention to detail. Breakfast in the room is a special moment and the amazing art collection, throughout the building makes the stay even more special.
Yesterday we unexpectedly received an upgrade to a beautiful room, it made my week end! Thank you Merrion Hotel for looking so well after your clients. As long as I spend week ends in Dublin, I will stay there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your recent stay with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your experience and we are genuinely honoured that you chose to stay with us again on your return to Dublin.

I hope it is not too long before you stay with us again.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Merrion in June to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and had a wonderful time. The hotel is beautiful, elegant and staying there made the weekend really special. Our welcome by the doormen and being escorted into reception was amazing.
We booked a deal which included champagne in our room and a 3 course meal in the Cellar restaurant which was very good. I was a tiny bit disappointed that reception or the restaurant weren't aware of our anniversary given I had mentioned this on emails to the reservations team and assumed this would be passed on but no big deal.
Breakfast the first morning wasn't great, with lots of little problems. This was bought to the duty manager's notice who did apologise and everything was 100% the next morning. The quality of the cooked breakfast was great but I didn't think the cold buffet selection was overwhelming.
The swimming pool was very nice and very clean.
The location was great for exploring the rest of Dublin and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Merrion especially for a special occasion.

Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay on the occasion of your 10th Anniversary.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with the entire team here. We are honoured that you chose to stay with us for this very special occasion and I am also disappointed that it wasn’t acknowledged as we would normally do. I will follow up as to why it was not and if you could provide me with any further details by emailing me at generalmanager@merrionhotel.com I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you both back again and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Southampton
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We travelled from Southampton to Dublin just for afternoon tea! It actually only cost the same as going to London on the train. We have had quite a few afternoon teas I so e wonderful places but this was the best. We arrived to a table all set for us with a view of the wonderful log fire. The too was very elegant . The staff we absolutely wonderful. So attentive. As vegetarians we rarely find we get delicious sandwiches, they always seem to be soggy vegetables! Not here. They were wonderful, they understood that we do eat cheese and eggs. We then went on to delicious scones, we loved the lemon curd as well as the raspberry jam. And then on to a great assortment of cake. And if that wasn't enough you,then have course two! The impressive art cakes. The whole experience was faultless. We will definitely return next year to repeat the experience. This is a must do!

Room Tip: Make sure you can see the fire.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank VictoriaCarole
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your visit to our Drawing Rooms for our Art Tea.

I have already shared your kind words with the Pastry Team and those who attended to you in the Drawing Rooms and they all join me in thanking you. We are genuinely honoured that you travelled all the way from Southampton to experience our Art Tea and I am delighted that you enjoyed it so much! I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and you have more time to enjoy more of the facilities here at the Hotel.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Westerly, Rhode Island
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I was traveling with cousins who always stay at the Merrion. I confess it is usually out of my price range when I'm in Dublin, but this was definitely at treat. First the positives, of which there are many. You are greeted at the Merrion by every, and I mean every, staff member you encounter. The training of the staff and their quality is evident from the moment you arrive. They are very responsive to each guest and go out of their way to be helpful and welcoming. Housekeeping is lurking, I swear, behind the potted plants for the moment you leave your room to make it perfect for you before your return. The toiletries in the bathroom are Asprey and far and away the best I have ever encountered. I confess I "pilfered" ever bar of the soap they left in my room, and they very kindly left two morning and evening. The bellmen deserve special mention as well. They were a welcome site every time we returned to the hotel and so very helpful with bags, cabs, directions, recommendations, anything and everything.
The Cellar Restaurant served an ample and wonderful breakfast each morning which was a part of our package, and, it must be said, I would not gave availed myself of if it had been a separate charge because of the expense. We had dinner there one evening, and as good as the dinner was, and it was phenomenal, the service was even better. I really tip my hat to the Merrion's attention to training and detail.
The only negatives are few and maybe a little picky but the service in the Cellar bar was a little diffident and unenergetic, perhaps because of the volume. Perhaps because the service is so very good in the rest of the hotel, the lack of perfection there was more obvious. The last thing is the overall cost of staying at the Merrion. Our room (first floor/garden wing) was nice but nothing to write home about. The bathroom was quite nice, but the shower was on the tight side. And the cost was a bit breathtaking for me. I think as a treat, and because of the service, it was ultimately worth it, but it is costly to stay. Overall though, well done!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel along with your other observations which I have which I have taken onboard fully.

I hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I echo the other reviewers in that the service at the Merrion is exceptional. All of my quirky requests were greeted with a smile and immediate response. So, don't hesitate to ask for whatever you need; I am confident the staff will work their magic for you.

I was in the Lord Antrim suite and it is spacious and comfortable. The bathroom amenities are Asprey, which I really love, and everything you can need is provided for you (cotton swabs, robes, cozy slippers, shower cap, etc., etc., etc.). Plenty of fluffy towels and a lighted make up mirror (which I found pretty useless because it doesn't extend out from the wall, so unless you are very tall, it doesn't really work). Each room was very large, but surprisingly the shower stall is very small and as usual (I can't tell you how many times I've mentioned this) there is about 6 square inches of shelf space in the shower, which is not nearly enough. I am mystified why hotels don't put more shelf space in their showers, as it is a real practicality and not having it is a real annoyance.

The TVs worked great, but the internet was strange in that there is only a one day log in so I had to keep logging in each day. Seemed unnecessary and I would recommend that the hotel try to remedy this. There were great books in my suite which I delightedly browsed and a small bit of terrific whiskey was offered complementary. The bed and bedding are great and there is plenty of closet and drawer space.

Also, at times, it seemed understaffed at the door (short of porters and doormen). However, I ordered room service and it was delicious and prompt with very friendly service . Housekeeping had a few missteps, but they were remedied without issue. The concierge printed out my boarding pass for me without trouble. I used both the pool and the spa and they are excellent. Unfortunately, the day I used the pool it was full of a family (I think) and they were screaming and splashing, so it wasn't as restful as I had hoped. I wish the hotel would reserve a half an hour or so just for adults. My spa experience was terrific and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

The hotel itself has a strange layout. There are two buildings connected by a glassed in walkway which goes through the middle of a lovely garden. If you are in the main building, you cannot get to the spa without going through the lobby or winding your way down some stairs, and at least 2 elevators, which is a labyrinth. The reason I mention this is that if you want to change into your robe before going to the spa, you will have to trek though the main reception areas. I went once in my clothes and had to come back carrying a wet bathing suit. The next time, I didn't care and walked right through the public sitting rooms in my robe and slippers. This is the second luxury hotel I have stayed in around the world where this is the case and it frustrates me greatly. I would like to go directly down one elevator to the spa, discreetly. And with all the incredible amenities the hotel provides, I was very surprised not to find a spa bag to use; one for sundries and a wet bathing suit, to use between the room and the spa. Perhaps this is something the hotel could provide in the future.

Nevertheless, this is a great hotel with service around every turn. You will not be disappointed with either their effort or the location.

Room Tip: The view of the government buildings is great!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Christmas2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful and comprehensive review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. I must say we get a great “buzz” when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. Thank you also for your other thoughtful feedback which I assure you I have taken on board fully and will act upon accordingly.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Benicia, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I can't say enough about how wonderful The Merrion Hotel is. My husband ended up in the hospital and the hotel bent over backwards for me. I will be forever grateful to them for their kindness. The service is wonderful, the people who work there are kind and caring. Definitely a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience with us here at The Merrion.

Your words are so kind and I can assure you that they have given the entire team a great boost. They all join me in thanking you for sharing your appreciation with us and we wish your husband all the best with his recovery.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege and the pleasure of welcoming you both back again.

Thank you again for your encouraging words.