“5 Star start to finish”

Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“5 Star start to finish”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recently stayed here with a group of old friends who were meeting up for a mini reunion from all over Ireland and abroad. We wanted to treat ourselves a little and be close to city centre restaurants and bars. It was my second time visiting the Merrion and I'm happy to say it was every bit as good as I remembered. The staff were incredibly polite and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. When our numbers changed to include an extra friend, a cot was provided without fuss. The very spacious bedrooms are bright, airy and meticulously kept. We very much enjoyed the swimming pool and cocktails on the terrace. My only(minor) criticisms are that the layout is a little awkward to navigate, particularly when tying to find the pool from the main hotel area and that the selection of beers on the bar menu is limited and uninspired (one of our group is a beer nut and was disappointed that only the usual susoects were on offer). Otherwise, a real five star experience in the heart of the city

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nl2220
Manager_PMacCann, Director of Sales at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I was pleased to read your kind comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. With regards to your feedback on the selection of beer we offer here at the hotel, please be advised that we offer a craft beer selection, both draught and bottled, in our Cellar Bar along with other main stream brands. Our cocktail bar No. 23 offers a more limited selection of beer given the emphasis on cocktails and spirits there.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to stay with us soon and if I can be of any assistance in that regard please do not hesitate to contact me directly. In the meantime, thank you again for your kind words.

Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Great European charm in a lovely hotel. Great location to sights, music, restaurants, shopping and the hop on hop off bus. Loved the room and big bathroom. Cozy sheets and comforter. Very comfortable hotel with a Michelin starred restaurant.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a side street, so it's not as noisy as some. I had a room in the back and it was...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jawtravels
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Omagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The service was 5 star from start to finish. It was an excellent way to finish our girls weekend as we were made feel extra special! The food and cocktails were delicious but the extra mile the staff went was really what made the experience, especially our waiter phil. He was friendly and helpful and we were never left waiting or looking for help as he was there on hand at just the right times. Finishing touches such as iced strawberries for our prosecco and over all presentation and service was just perfection. A really enjoyable experience...we were made feel like valued customers and really made our weekend! Special thanks to Phil.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to our Cellar Bar for brunch.

I was delighted to read your wonderful feedback and I have shared your comments with all of my colleagues including Philip who was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed yourselves so much . It really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys their experience as much as you did and I am glad you felt so warmly welcomed.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back again in the near future

Thanks again for your kind words.

Adare, Ireland
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at The Merrion on on a Saturday in July, the hotel is great from the time you meet the front door staff to being checked in, we a had a king room in the Garden wing, the room was a great size and truly a 5 star room. The hotel itself is immiculate and the decor is great, the gardens are worth a short explore. We didnt try the health suit so we cant comment. The only downside is Breakfast, when we booked we wernt given the option to include it in the rate, we knew the cost €29! per person however expected something special at that cost, breakfast is served in the cellar (not the prettiest part of the hotel), we were sat at our table and the server was more interested in pointing out the cost than anything else, she was fairly abrupt which set the tone, we both order full irish as we were hungry, full irish arrived, it is the first time that I have seen 1 sausage, 1 piece of bacon, 1/2 a mushroom, 1/2 a tomatoe, a piece of some sort of bread, and two poaced eggs called a breakfast, it wouldnt have filled a child. The eggs tasted of nothing and my wife wouldnt eat hers and asked for scrambled egg, they didnt take the plate away they left the poaced eggs which wernt wanted and brought a side plate with scrambled eggs (which my wife said were nice), a man asked if everything was ok with Breakfast, I commented on the size of Breakfast however that was that. When we returned to our room we had a knock and two staff brought in coffee and buckfizz, it was 10 in the morning so we had the coffee.I would have preferred not to be charged for Breakfast however that clearly wasnt an option. We checked out and again the staff were atentive. Overall a great hotel however please avoid the breakfast as it dosnt fit to the rest of the hotel experience.

Room Tip: Dont buy water in Hotel before you retire for the evening as the turndown service provides this.
1 Thank sean67c
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay with us.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your experience at breakfast in our Cellar Restaurant which I was disappointed to read. It is very apparent that you did not receive our usual levels of attention and care and for this I would like to apologise. Rest assured that I have shared your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager along with our Executive Chef and they join me in hoping that we will have the opportunity of restoring your faith in the breakfast experience at some point in the future.

I am glad that on the whole you had an enjoyable experience and enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments and again I hope that it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Marquard, South Africa
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Merrion was an absolute bliss to stay at.
We travelled with an 8 week old infant , and our every need was taken care off.
Attention to detail, is what the Merrion is all about. We arrived to a room with a
baby crib, a baby gown as well as an entire baby range of toiletries.
The staff are incredible and were empathetic to us as young parents.
The Patrick Guilbaud was also exceptional, with service and quality of food worth their Michelin stars.
One of the best hotel experiences we have encounterd on a global scale.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the absolutely fantastic review following you and your family’s recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read you lovely comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel. I have shared your feedback with my colleagues and they are very pleased that you appreciated their attentive care so much.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again and that your visit then will be as memorable as the last.

County Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The understated elegance of Georgian Dublin still survives at the Merrion Hotel. Standards of service are simply outstanding from the smallest detail of room service to the wonderful Art Tea (an absolute must). What a pleasure it is to see the simply outstanding collection of Irish art spaced around the hotel along with historical artifacts and photos. Take a stroll in the lovely garden and pay your respects to the James Joyce statue before venturing out into the Georgian surrounds that await you.

As others have noted the rooms provide for an outstandingly omfortable stay. Everything one is likely to need is provided to ensure guest comfort.

The hotel has a connecting door to the wonderful Michelin two star Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud' (see separate review) but as all great hotels the residents bar is able to provide excellent bar food for hours after a return from a night discovering th city.

Our only negative was the standard of breakfast provided. Not nearly as good as we had experienced in other Hotels in Ireland. Hot Irish breakfast plates were placed on our table while we were still eating our cereal and the fried breakfast was very disappointing in comparison with far cheaper establishments.

Overall the Merrion is clearly a five-star experience and Dublins finest hotel. We would have no hesitation in staying there again. We would however take breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you can afford to stay at The Merrion have no fear as you are guaranteed a superb room and truly...
1 Thank Azeuro O
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review posted recently and for your detailed feedback.

Thank you for the feedback about your experience in the Cellar Restaurant at breakfast, we are continually striving to improve on our guest experience and the amenities and services we offer and your feedback is vital so as to maintain this. We listen to our guests and I want to apologise to you for the shortcomings you experienced which I have shared with the relevant management here at the Hotel.

However, I am very pleased that your stay with us was a memorable one and both my colleagues and I appreciate your very kind comments which are very encouraging indeed.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again.

NY
Reviewed 26 July 2014

If you're looking for a great hotel in Dublin, this is the place!!!! The service is spectacular. The rooms are comfortable. A/C works great, free WiFi. The restaurants are great. The spa is great. It is centrally located to great food, pubs and shops. Trust me, this is a hotel you want to stay at!

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with the entire team. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.