“Golf trip to Ireland”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hotel is a bit overpriced to be honest, but it is in an excellent location and the amenities are fabulous. Everyone there is more than happy to try and make your stay as pleasant as possible and the food was great. We have stayed there twice now and each stay was excellent. I believe you will enjoy really enjoy the hotel and the staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TD2256
Manager_PMacCann, Director of Sales at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review following your recent stay with us.

We are honoured that you chose to stay with us during your golfing trip to Ireland and I hope you had a great holiday. I have shared your kind words with all of my colleagues and thank you also for your feedback on our pricing.

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I spend a wonderful 3 nights here recently and are looking forward to a future visit.

It's a wonderful hotel and excellent staff. It was a 5 Star experience in every dimension. We'd highly recommend it if you're looking for a luxury property centrally located in Dublin.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kevin P

Dear Guest,

We are all delighted that you and your wife had an enjoyable stay and are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon. I hope your stay with us then is as memorable as this one was.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Everything about our stay at The Merrion was perfect. Beautiful hotel, in a good location, and the staff was remarkable. The front desk staff was most helpful in getting us checked in and in locating good pubs as well as an outstanding restaurant for dinner, Matt Thresher's
The Merrion is expensive but well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Linda V
Manager_PMacCann, Director of Sales at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We were delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to stay with us again.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is a lovely hotel in a great central location. I phoned in a reservation for seven days and was promised a garden view room. When I arrived, I was told the garden view was available for only 3 days and for "my convenience" they would place me in a room with a city view; that is, an alley way. Staff was very polite throughout. Maid service was especially great. Food was mediocre and the service indifferent to me, perhaps because I was a single. There was no way just to have a bit of porridge and a cup of coffee in the morning without being charged 26 euros for the continental breakfast, which I did twice, thinking there must have been some mistake. The pub downstairs was enjoyable as was the spa. When I expressed my concerns on the hotel's website, the assistant to the assistant manager contacted me, promised to look into the problems and never got back to me.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank pbucking

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your kind comments about my colleagues and thank you for your feedback which I understand you have been liaising with my colleague Brian Murphy about directly.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay with us very soon and if Brian or I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us directly here at the Hotel.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We booked a slot for an artist's tea here. Wow, what a lovely and well worth experience. The hotel has one of the largest private collections of art in Europe. It's something like 36 euros each, but you could even share one tea among two people if they allow....there was plenty. For a special occasion, this is tops!!! Very romantic if you want. A family nearby brought grandpa and even a 2 year old, to celebrate his 70th birthday. Tea meant, first a cold beverage of your choice or champagne. I chose an awesome ginger lemon iced tea, which was incredible. Served in the comfy room off the terrace. You sit on couches and chairs as if it was your private sitting room. Two courses actually meant more food than we could finish. Served on a silver 3-tiered tray, there were cheese, meat, egg salad, cucumber and salmon sandwiches. The second tier was cakes, yummy scones and a muffin...all chef specialties. I have a nut allergy and they were abundantly sensitive to it..making sure I would have no health problems. Any dessert which contained nuts, was not put on my plate, plus they pointed out which things I should avoid on my husband's tray. After not finishing everything, they wrap it up for you to take home. There was actual tea, of course, but more varieties than I could imagine. They serve you...don't even think of trying to pour on your own! The top tier was homemade jam, lemon curd and clotted cream (which is like whipped cream and butter combined). Delicious!!! Ok, I am still writing because, this wasn't the last part. Finally you are served 3 chef creations that are based on 3 paintings in and around the room you are currently in. Of course, you are given small cards showing the relevant paintings. The desserts are tasty, oh so creative and fun! By now you are sleepy and relaxed beyond comprehension...we were told that guests fall asleep all the time. I would do this again in a heartbeat! Book it online even if you choose to stay elsewhere. Check out the wonderful garden outside the hotel as well.

Room Tip: Book the artists tea for an amazing afternoon experience!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robinedg
Manager_PMacCann, Director of Sales at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your extremely generous and complimentary review following your recent visit to our Drawing Rooms for our Art Tea.

My colleagues and I were delighted to read your wide-ranging and encouraging comments and are all pleased that you had such a memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to visit us very soon and thank you again for the lovely feedback.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recently stayed here with a group of old friends who were meeting up for a mini reunion from all over Ireland and abroad. We wanted to treat ourselves a little and be close to city centre restaurants and bars. It was my second time visiting the Merrion and I'm happy to say it was every bit as good as I remembered. The staff were incredibly polite and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. When our numbers changed to include an extra friend, a cot was provided without fuss. The very spacious bedrooms are bright, airy and meticulously kept. We very much enjoyed the swimming pool and cocktails on the terrace. My only(minor) criticisms are that the layout is a little awkward to navigate, particularly when tying to find the pool from the main hotel area and that the selection of beers on the bar menu is limited and uninspired (one of our group is a beer nut and was disappointed that only the usual susoects were on offer). Otherwise, a real five star experience in the heart of the city

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank nl2220

Dear Guest,

I was pleased to read your kind comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. With regards to your feedback on the selection of beer we offer here at the hotel, please be advised that we offer a craft beer selection, both draught and bottled, in our Cellar Bar along with other main stream brands. Our cocktail bar No. 23 offers a more limited selection of beer given the emphasis on cocktails and spirits there.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to stay with us soon and if I can be of any assistance in that regard please do not hesitate to contact me directly. In the meantime, thank you again for your kind words.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Great European charm in a lovely hotel. Great location to sights, music, restaurants, shopping and the hop on hop off bus. Loved the room and big bathroom. Cozy sheets and comforter. Very comfortable hotel with a Michelin starred restaurant.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a side street, so it's not as noisy as some. I had a room in the back and it was...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jawtravels

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.