“Plenty of 'old world' charm and character”
Review of Buswells Hotel

Buswells Hotel
Ranked #24 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 August 2012

A well maintained historical hotel in the heart of Dublin. My wife, daughter and I stayed here for three nights. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, although the view from our window of the central heating plant was bleak. The views from the front rooms are probably a lot more interesting, but we did ask for a 'quiet room'.
Well positioned to the main attractions of central Dublin, which are mostly within walking distance.
Hop-on-hop-off bus stops are also close at hand.
Good Irish breakfasts, cooked to order, were served by grumpy (overworked, overstressed, and probably underpaid) staff. The evening 'dinner' staff were quite cheerful and vibrant by comparison - but they did have a smaller number of guests to look after, and were not as busy as the breakfast staff.
Clean, well furnished rooms, comfortable beds and good showers. Yes, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front should have better views, but may be noisier than back ones - although the double...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Thank you ACR96 for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you and family again in the future.

Paul Gallagher.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,556)

Reviewed 31 July 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 10 day vacation in Ireland and our last two days and nights were spent in Dublin and we stayed at Buswells Hotel. What a way to end the vacation. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the hotel is just an amazing quirky older building. Very centrally located. Withing walking distance of many attractions, restaurants and pubs. We lucked out and got a corner room on the second floor with a great street view. We couldn't have been more pleased with the accomodations. Thanks for helping us end the trip on a high note. We'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Jerry L, many thanks for posting your review following your recent stay with us at Buswells Hotel. We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

We loved our stay at the Buswells Hotel. The location could not be better - we were down the block from the National Library and the National Museum, and a short walk to pretty much everywhere else you want to get to: St. Stephen's Green and the surrounding shopping area, Temple Bar, Trinity College, O'Connell Street. The rooms (we booked 4) are a decent size with modern bathrooms which are kept spotless by the staff. The hotel itself has an old-fashioned charm, and although there are a few worn areas on the carpeting, they're not a big deal since everything is spotless. We would definitely stay here again next time we're in Dublin.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

I am really glad you enjoyed your stay in Dublin and made use of the location of Buswells Hotel.
Should you ever return to Dublin, we would love to haev you stay with us again.

General Manager.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed at this hotel twice (at the beginning of my trip and then again at the end). For the first stay, we arrived very early (6 am) and our room was not ready so we left our bags at the hotel and walked around Dublin. We came back at 2 pm which is check-in time and we were told that the room was ready but that they were waiting for a towel delivery. We were exhausted at that point after flying in on the redeye and I expressed my unhappiness with this. They told us that they would deliver the towels in an hour but I told them that we would be going to sleep and that we did not want to be woken. We entered the room to find that there was a full set of clean towels already in there so I don't know what they were talking about. The room was a good size with a double bed and also a single bed which we did not request so it was nice having the extra bed. There was no view from the window. In fact, our window overlooked massive fans/compressors which made a lot of noise but luckily, it was quite cool out so we were able to keep the windows closed. The bathroom was a nice size with a tub and handheld shower. The room was very clean and quite lovely. We went to sleep and sure enough, an hour later, there was a knock on the door and someone was bringing us towels even though I had specifically stated that we didn't want to be disturbed. After our nap, we started unpacking and found that the in-room safe didn't work. Three different people had to come to try to fix it before they finally brought a new safe. The upside of this was that one of the maintenance workers gave me a bunch of recommendations for my stay and they turned out to be very good recommendations. So, we had a rocky start but after that, things settled down and then the stay was very pleasant. One thing that we really liked was the bar/lounge area. Right off of the lobby is a very comfortable seating area where you can just sit and read or get a drink or food. If you are a woman traveling alone, you can definitely go in there and not feel uncomfortable at all. The hotel is decorated in a Victorian fashion and is kept very clean. They give you one key per room and you have to give them the key when you go out. There was something nice and old-fashioned about this but the one time I wanted to go to the room while my husband stayed in the lounge was a problem because I needed the key to get in the room and then he had no way of getting in.
Our second stay was much better. We weren't exhausted and the room was ready when we arrived at 2 pm. This was a much bigger room with a king-sized bed and very large bathroom. The only problem was that it was hot in the room (Dublin was unusually warm on that day) and we had to keep the window open. This wouldn't be a problem except that at about 5 am, ducks/geese started honking really loud. I don't know know where they were but it was loud. Overall, I would say that the hotel is very nice and I would stay there again. The location is fantastic. The Parliament is located at the corner so there is security for that building so the area seems very safe. It's within walking distance of Grafton St., St. Stephen's Green and Trinity College. I only have two complaints which I think the hotel could easily fix:
1) There is free Internet but you need passwords to use it and every person needs their own passwords. Also, it only lasts for 24 hours and then you have to get new passwords. This is quite annoying and you should just be able to connect to the Internet.
2) The shower is very complicated to figure out. There are two different shower heads and three different knobs to turn. They really need a sign with directions on how to use the shower.
I know it sounds like I had many complaints but really these were just small things in the grand scheme of it all. The hotel is very charming and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FinickyNewYorker

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your recent stays at Buswells Hotel.

We are delighted that your enjoyed your stay with us despite the rocky start. We are currently in the process of changing out Internet access for guests so passwords will no longer be required. We are also putting up small notices in each room with regards the shower.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you to Buswells Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

I have just returned from a trip to a conference in Wales, and had decided to go via Dublin rather than Heathrow. I stayed overnight on the way there at Buswell's, and was just delighted. It was like going back about twenty years, in ambience and service and comfort. Maybe some find the odd worn spot on the stair carpet off-putting, but my room was spacious, spotless and exactly what I like. Though I had a reservation at an airport hotel on the return journey, I called Buswell's as soon as I got off the ferry from Holyhead and they were able to give me a room. Doing this was a bit extravagant, maybe, but after 4 nights in a student residence room, I really wanted another taste of Buswell's comfort and charm. Location was excellent, being right across form the National Library and the National Museum.

Room Tip: Double rooms overlooking Molesworth Street are very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Many thanks torres7 for your lovely review. I am so glad that you had such enjoyable stays with us - it was especially nice to read how impressed you were with the comfort and location of the hotel.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Buswells hotel on your next visit to Dublin.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stayed for one night in single room on business. Great hotel full of character. Staff excellent other than few gruff lunch time servers! Single room small but spotless and comfortable. Breakfast really tasty. Would recommend!

• Stayed: July 2012

Thank you Anne D for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Buswells Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

I had two triple rooms for the first Springsteen concert, I had two of my teenage kids & some of their friends with me. I know the hotel having stayed many times before.
It is close to everywhere you might normally want to go. It offers subsidised parking very nearby.
The building is an amalgamation of several and so the rooms are varied in size & style, this may not be to everyone's taste but makes it more interesting.
The staff are friendly & helpful.
Breakfast is very good with a range of juices, cold meats, cereals, fruit, cheese, bread, traditional Irish, kippers & eggs.
Saving the best 'til last - the bar is great which is not often the case in hotels. Stout in good order, friendly service, good menu & no hurry to close!
I will definitely return!
Saving the best 'til last - the bar is

• Stayed: July 2012
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Kildress, many thanks for taking the time to post your review of Buswells Hotel following your stay with us this week.

We are delighted that you enjoyed another stay with us and we hope you also enjoyed the concert.

We look forward to welcoming you to Buswells Hotel again in the not so distant future.;