Buswells Hotel
Ranked #24 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Convenient location to Temple Bar area but nice quiet neighbourhood, comfortable beds, very helpful staff, clean, has nice Georgian features with modern updates. We had a room facing the street, but it wasn’t noisy. The hotel bar was very nice for a drink in the evening. Breakfast not included in price. Unfortunately it can take a while to retrieve your room key. The desk staff is really busy and there doesn't seem to be the same ability to retrieve the key quickly for guests as with other hotels with the same key system. I did really enjoy staying here and would stay again. My Mum was not as impressed. Wifi by voucher only, and only works for one day which was a bit of unpleasant surprise, given the price range of the hotel. It was for these reasons: breakfast not included, key retrieval taking much longer than 5-10 minutes, and the lack of free wifi that my Mum will not stay again. Too bad because the staff were outstanding. Although they were so busy, they really went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. We needed a last minute ticket for our Food, Folklore and Fairies Evening and the staff saved the day. Also really quick at rustling cabs and anything else we needed. Our room was always spotlessly clean. We had a few evening drinks in the bar and the staff was extremely attentive. I loved the comfort of the beds and the architectural details of the room. That part of Buswells surpassed my expectations. I still think it's a good place to stay if you are in Dublin over the weekend. It's close enough to the Temple Bar area but far enough away to get a good night's sleep after enjoying an evening in one of the pubs.

Room Tip: We were on the street side on the weekend and still found the area quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dar netnrrd,
Thank you for your lovely comments on the hotel and the friendliness of our team here. It is great to read your positive feedback and how much you enjoyed our cosy bar.
For guests who do not choose breakfast when booking, it is available every morning in the hotel. We are in the process of securing a new Wi-Fi system which we hope will alleviate the current issues that guests experience regarding the vouchers.
I trust that your return journey to Vancouver was a pleasant one and hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you and your mother on your next visit to Dublin.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,553)

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel. Our room was at the back of the hotel overlooking the service pipes like the previous reviewer. This hotel is 3 stars and seems to have very good reviews. Our experience was not so great. The location of the hotel is central and excellent for town, theatres and restaurants. We arrived after a long day travelling, although 3 stars is not the highest rating for an hotel,the rates charged and reviews given for Buswells meant we expected a straightforward stay before our onward journey. The room decor was definitely tired with a cracked window pane, stained lampshades and worn carpet. The bathroom sink was missing the insert for hot or cold and the dial for the shower definitely needed attention as trying to alter the temperature resulted in the shower continually turning itself off. By far the worst feature however was the position of the room above the kitchens which meant the noise of the kitchen fans was constant. We enquirered about the noise thinking it was a faulty boiler and were told it was the fans from the kitchen which would be turned off at 10.45pm and turned on again at 6.30am. The noise and vibration from these fans were totally unacceptable to anyone who might want to stay in their room or sleep. The staff did make sure the fans were turned off at 11pm when we asked again and they did not go back on again until just before 8am but again not great for anyone wanting to lie in a bit on their holiday. The wifi was baffling and after several attempts with the voucher code system we just gave up.breakfast was not included in the price and after our early morning wake up with the kitchen fans we decided to walk down the street for breakfast. The staff were helpful and polite and obviously aware of the pitfalls of our room. We were very disappointed to be put in a room with such obvious faults and resented paying for accommodation that unless you are deaf to loud noise could not be relaxing.if you choose to stay at this hotel, demand a room overlooking the road.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pickle W

Dear Pickle W, thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay with us earlier this month. We appreciate all feedback as this enables us to improve on our product and the service we offer.

I am disappointed to read that you were not completely happy with your stay with us and your room was not up to the standard we expect. I do apologise for the bathroom issues you experienced. We endeavour to solve as many maintenance issues as quickly & efficiently as possible, in order to limit any inconvenience to our guests. I have had the fittings replaced in this room.
Due to the nature of the building and being a city centre hotel with no external grounds, the air conditioning units must be situated on the roof. We do however ensure that these fans are turned off as early as possible in the evening and endeavour to leave switched off as late as possible in the mornings so as not to inconvenience guests. I have made a comment on your profile to ensure that you are not allocated a room on this floor so that you would not be disturbed.
I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcoming you to Buswells Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in October. Our visitor information book said the hotel was recently totally refurbished but our room did not appear this way as the carpets were quite worn and the tiles and bath looked tired. The wifi reception is good but there is a frustrating login system and your code expires each day which is inconvenient. We also had an issue with a simple request to print an email which was not a positive experience. The staff tried to be helpful but appeared to be thwarted by the email system. I cannot comment on the restaurant as we did not eat there, breakfast was not included in our rate and was 12 euro extra. There are many places nearby for breakfast anyhow. The hot water service was patchy at times and we did have a cold shower on one occasion.

On the positive side this hotel has an excellent location and you are walking distance to almost everything, including some great restaurants. Also by prepaying we got a good rate in comparison to other central Dublin hotels on offer. I would recommend this place if you are looking to be very central for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Ginger_Ninja_888, thank you for your comments following your stay with us recently. We appreciate all feedback as it enables us to improve on our product and service.
We are in the process of changing our Wi-Fi system away from the daily code which we hope will make the experience better for our guests.
I am delighted to read how great you found our location - we are so central with many attractions within walking distance.
I hope your journey home was a pleasant one and hope you are planning another trip back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Buswells seems like it belongs in a past era, but we found this to be charming. Our room was comfortable and clean, but the window view of a service shaft left a lot to be desired. The hotel is in a great location that provides easy access to Trinity College and shopping at Grafton Street. The staff is very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate our requests. Dining in the hotel's two restaurants was very satisfying. I would definitely recommend this hotel, but make sure you ask for a room with a view from the front of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Marcysmom,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay with us recently. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and made use of our fantastic location for shopping and sightseeing.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

My Grand -mother stayed in Buswells almost one hundred years ago when she visiteed from the North of Ireland.My brother and I have both stayed there several times.It is comfortablewith a cosy sitting area and a friendly bar and coffee area with very helpful staff throughout.
It is only a very short distance from the shopping centre of Grafton Street ,from Trinity College ,the Art centres and National Concert Hall and from St.Stephens Green with the lovely park in the middle .
An added bonus is that the bus from the Airport stops at the corner and is nearby for the return.
Where else could you find such an agreeable place to stay?

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear PatriciaPentycross,
Thank you for your lovely comments on Buswells Hotel, we are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay. You are right about our location - so many attractions and shops a short walk from the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Dublin.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed here two nights for business travel. The hotel has a great location, plenty of cafes, pubs, and restaurants for eating and very near the Airport Shuttle stop. And it is in a rather nice section of Dublin.

I found the room to be comfortable, especially the bed. The bathroom had a deep bathtub, and while the water takes awhile to get warm, there was plenty of hot water. In addition to standard tea, instant coffee, and biscuits, the room also had two large bottles of water, one with bubbles and one without. Internet access was great. I did not have any trouble with streaming or video calls back home.

My room was on the second floor. My visit overlapped with Arthur's Day, and despite the noise outside, I was not much disturbed by traffic or people noise in my room.

I really enjoyed the old style of the hotel but also appreciated that the rooms were clean and newish. The hotel staff were helpful, giving me directions, as needed. They were not overly warm -- a bit more New England style -- but helpful nonetheless.

I did not eat their breakfast. There were many good coffee shops in the area where one can get a strong coffee and a light breakfast for a few euro.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

AbbyHintz, thank you for your wonderful review following your stay with us last month. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and our great location with the Airport Shuttle (AirCoach) and so many cafes and pubs in the area.

I hope you had a safe and pleasant trip home and look forward to seeing you back in Buswells on your next trip to Dublin.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We loved everything about Buswells - location, size, staff - but most we loved people-watching in comfortable chairs in the beautiful cosy bar where lingering over a newspaper, with tea or a Guinness, is welcome. The hotel has a relaxed pace, attentive and stress-free, a perfect beginning to out Irish adventure.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank glts

Dear Glts, thank you for your wonderful feedback following your stay with us recently. I am delighted to read that you had a great stay and enjoyed our cosy bar - the chairs are great for people-watching and relaxing.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you on your next trip to Dublin.