“Lovely stay in Dublin”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
“Lovely stay in Dublin”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed two nights in December at Buswells with our two sons on our first visit to Dublin. The warmth and welcoming atmosphere of the hotel and bar / grill was a lovely surprise in a cold and wet December. Location is excellent - quite and opposite the Museum of Archaeology also within easy walking distance of Temple Bar and Trinity College - Book of Kells and the library are a must see.

Excellent and friendly service with good food and of course Guinness!

We will be back.

1 Thank Dietvb
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Deitvb,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us recently. We are delighted you and your family enjoyed your first trip to Dublin and hope that will be the first of many at Buswells Hotel.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Thai first
Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We visit Dublin usually once a year as a group and have stayed in quite a few different hotels. This year we opted for Buswells and we are so glad we did. This is where we will be staying from now on. Nothing at all to fault about this hotel. Food good, breakfast great, rooms clean and warm, staff exceptional. Made our New Year perfect. Thanks. See you next year.

Dear ericcon1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are delighted you and your group enjoyed you stay with us over New Year and look forward to welcoming you again this year.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here with my husband and teenage daughter for 4 nights over New Year. Great Hotel, wonderful staff cannot fault service and facilities. Within walking distance of the City without the need to get on a bus. Shops and restaurants all local.

Highly recommend.

1 Thank Constantia B
Dear Tina B,
Thank you for your lovely review following your stay with us at Buswells Hotel recently. I am delighted that you found our location so great and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Dublin.
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My wife wanted to go Christmas shopping the main target being the Patagonia outlet store in Dublin and we choose Buswell's two day shopping deal using Trip Advisor. We could not have chosen better, it was perfect and the staff were exceptionally helpful and considerate. Food was very good. Why not 5 stars, simply because I'm being picky, outlook from the room could have been better! No hesitation in recommending Buswell's, I have a funny feeling we might be back again next year. Thoroughly enjoyed the break.

1 Thank Golly_11
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Golly_11,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. When you are booking for your next visit, be sure to request a front room.
I look forward to welcoming you and your wife to Buswells Hotel in the near future.

Nashville, TN
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The visit to Dublin during the "Thanksgiving Week (US)," was a great experience starting with the great welcome that we received when we arrived at Buswell's 11/24/13. The doorman Paddy greeted us as we arrived and promptly had our bags in storage until the room was ready, AM arrival from the states. This property is central to all the various museums and places of interest like "Trinity College and The Book of Kells." The Buswell's Pub has a nice atmosphere in the evening to reflect on the day's tours and planning your next day. Paddy(doorman) and Vicki (front desk) was very helpful in helping us select tours to take or cities like Kilkenny, Belfast to visit and the train services to use. If interested in Irish Whisky, Colm (Manager) has an expansive knowledge of the various distilleries of Ireland. Our third floor rooms were spacious and comfortable. I believe Room 302 has a step down from bathroom to room, maybe a issue if you forget or senior. This did not bother us but wanted to mention for this review. There is elevator service to this floor so no worries. You will enjoy this property and the Buswell's Team they are on the mark.

Room Tip: As mentioned in my review there is a step down from bathroom to room in Room 302, if you are senior...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cecil E
Dear Cecil E,
Many thanks for your wonderful review following your stay with us recently. It is great to read our staff could assist you in planning your trips to make the most of your time in Dublin.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We were lucky to get into Buswell's. It was booked but my husband's employer was able to secure us a room for three nights.

The location was great, we walked everywhere and it was close to the airport bus drop off and pick up spots.

The hotel is made up of interconnected buildings so the stairs and floors are a little funky. But, once you figure out how to find your room, all is good. We had a large room facing the street. We heard no street noise so this was not a problem. It was very comfy, clean, with a great shower. Breakfast was included and it was terrific. There is a large buffet and you can order hot food from the menu.

My husband had a dinner commitment one evening and I had dinner alone in the hotel pub. I was treated nicely and never felt uncomfortable eating by myself. The fish and chips dinner was pretty good too.

The front desk staff was very helpful about the hotel but less informed about Dublin. The concierge was more knowledgeable but was only around during the day.

We would certainly stay here again...recognizing it has personality and is not the run-of-the-mill cookie cutter chain hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Baya,
Thank you for your wonderful review following your stay with us recently. It is great to read how much you enjoyed your stay and especially our fantastic location.
We hope you had a pleasant journey home and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Dublin.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Buswells is an institution in Ireland strongly associated with politics being across the road from the Irish Parliament - Dail Eireann. I suspect that is part of the reason that never have I had any interest in staying there, and I assumed it maintained it's existence on the basis of being a political B&B.

But also the National Museum and the National Gallery are also across the road; it is a few hundred metres from Grafton Street and Trinity College, and convenient to the Luas light rail on St Stephens Green etc etc etc.

There is the quality of the location (if it's good enough for the famous Shelbourne Hotel around the corner -- it has to be a pretty good location)
And then there is the question of is what is like as a hotel? When you are used to a Generic International 4 star hotel offering that is virtually the same the world over; this was a breath of fresh air!

It's 3 star, and while some areas/features are a bit worn, most of the hotel has been refreshed/refurbished really, really beautifully and "comfortably".
I agree with criticisms that there are stairs and mini stairs everywhere, and that may compromise access for some, but it is in essence a very old Georgian townhouse, and the small rooms and narrow twisty corridors are part of that charm.
Over and over it reminded me of Agatha Christie's "At Bertram's Hotel"!

My doubleroom was shoebox in size. But it didn't matter in the least. Indeed for the first time in forever I could sit in bed with a computer charging from a side wall socket, and have my mobile phone charge on a bedside locker. I did not mind having just a shower instead of a bath - it's easier and safer to get into as well

The breakfast buffet looked a little mean - until you realise they actually take an order and bring it to you - and that means it comes on a proper warm plate!

I've seen people criticise that it doesn't have Air Con. In fairness in Ireland this is not really needed - really ever. I hate to see Air Con plants running constantly in hotels at massive cost to the environment.
What Buswells has are windows that actually open!
If it is a choice between being hermetically sealed and a window that opens I'd take a window every time.

Excellent bedding - really lovely and comfortable, great blackout curtains.
It's as if they ignored most of the so called "progress" in hotels in the last 40 years and concentrated on what was traditionally important - a comfortable bed and breakfast - with a really friendly staff.

THE STAFF DESERVE A SPECIAL NOTE. It's an easy friendliness they have, there is nothing artificial or packaged about it.

"Free" wifi is always great.

Finally, one outstanding point is the room water. It's not big brand 500ml still and sparkling that some "better" hotel brands have realised is a must. I think what they do is provide filtered water in their own brand glass bottles with flip cork lids. One way or another there was 1 L (or 750mls) of Still and the same amount of Sparkling.
It is the little things that matter....

One Caveat - I stayed here in Dec in Christmas season and perhaps that gives the whole package a seasonal lift that might not be there at other times of the year.

There were downsides - there has to be:
---Orange juice at breakfast was FCOJ and I think hotels - even 3 star - should have the real thing. An alternative would be a crushing machine. Most people would take the FCOJ for speed but there would be a choice offered.
---a little garnish on the breakfast would make it pretty and the fresh scrambled eggs (and it was evidently fresh) could have been a little better, but that is probably a matter of taste and the rashers were most definitely Irish and tasted real - like that had not been prepped 4 hrs before. I'd liven up that continental buffet with maybe Irish branded granolas/museli as opposed to Alpen/Rice crisps/ bran flakes .
---it's an old hotel - and I could hear the next room listening to Sky news at 6am, and someone doing sit-ups on the floor above - but simple solution: snuggle down under the duvet and I soon forgot it.
---Had a smoked salmon sandwich in the bar. It was fine but a bit pedestrian, which was a bit of a pity for what is essentially a national dish.
---I had a room at the back with no view - but I wasn't there to stay up all night pondering the streetscape....

If you can accept it for what it is - an old Georgian townhouse with tiny rooms and stairs, beautifully and comfortably refurbished shoe box rooms, I think you'll agree the building and staff deserves more than its 3 stars.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tombusa
Dear Tombusa,
Wow, what a great review. It is fantastic to read all the great things you experienced in Buswells Hotel. Thank you so much and I hope you will have an opportunity to stay with us.