“Sweet hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sun Valley, Idaho
“Sweet hotel”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Our room is small. The bed and pillows are great.
The room is in between 3 housekeeping rooms, so the night was quiet, but early in the morning people slammed doors at least 30 times. It was very annoying.
Everyone's breakfasts were included, except ours. I think hotels should offer the inclusion to all its guests or none. As it turned out it looked awful. The cold meats and cheeses were not on cold trays, so they were dry and bad looking by the time we arrived. The fruit salad was brown and obviously sitting in the table for way too long. Coffee was good. Table was a mess. Nobody was keeping it neat and the signs were all askew. The juice was almost empty. And it was not cheap.
The front staff are all very nice.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Myra F
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Myra F,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review following your stay with us recently.
Apologies you were disturbed by a slamming door, this has been rectified. Our buffet meats and cheese selection is in fact a chilled unit with ice packs under the serving unit. We will however take on board the thrust of your comments and amend our service standard.

I do hope you had a pleasant journey home and I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you on your next visit to Dublin.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Very nice old hotel with an excellent staff. We had a very nice room and loved staying there. There is a very nice restaurant in the hotel and an excellent bar. Breakfast is very nice and they offer same day laundry service - it was great !!
If I make it back to Dublin (and I would love to) I wouldn't even look for another hotel, I would just book a room at Buswells. I loved it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Garyshedron,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review following your stay with us at Buswells Hotel recently.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and made use of our facilities.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you on your next trip to Dublin.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This could be a decent, traditional if rather overpriced hotel. The big drawback for us was the noise. We were given a pleasant room at the back of the hotel but sadly with a steady hum, not loud but clearly audible even with the windows closed, all through the night. When we asked for a change we were offered a room directly facing a bank of ventilation fans!
We were then given a room still facing the same area but slightly further away from the noise. It was much smaller and less well-equipped, so the offer of even a small price reduction would have been nice, but that wasn't on the menu. Staff were polite but uncaring. It was all the more annoying since we had specifically requested a quiet room.
For the rest, location is great; breakfast average. But really for such a premium price one would expect better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank CharlesLondonUK
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear CharlesLondonUK,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Buswells Hotel.

I believe it was explained by the manager on duty that the noise was not within the hotel but a generator situated a street away that we had no advance knowledge of. This caused a dull hum which was audible in your room. This thankfully was only an issue for that particular night. Delighted you otherwise enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Buswells Hotel.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights in room 214. The room was generously sized, clean with very comfortable beds. The bathroom was large with a nice shower with plenty of hot water. We had the bed and breakfast plan. The breakfast was excellent. The food in the bar is very good and reasonably priced. The staff is very nice and helpful. The hotel is walking distance to sights, but off the main drag so quiet at night. This was our first visit and it exceeded our expectations!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mmargit,

Thank you for lovely comments following your stay with us recently. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and made use of our facilities.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you again on your next visit to Dublin.

Cleobury Mortimer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed for 2 nights at Buswells on the recommendation of a business colleague, i was warned during the day by another colleague to be careful of the room I was allocated as he had already had to change his room because it was so small. I was astounded when i found my room, it was the smallest hotel room I had ever seen, so small that i couldn't fit my suitcase on the floor. I asked to be moved but was told there was nothing else available but was promised they would move me for the second night of my stay. I then went to have a shower but couldn't as there was no water, I rung reception and was told that due to a fault the water had been switched off for a few minutes. When it came back on the water was muddy brown.

I was moved for the second night but was offered no discount or refund for the total disappointment of the first night. Even though the second night was better it still felt expensive at 160 Euro. Overall a very poor experience and I will spend future stays in Dublin at somewhere offering better value like Bewley's.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank JohnY452
Dear John Y,

I am sorry to read your review which highlights your issues.
We do have a number of small rooms and indeed a number of real single rooms. On your stay you were allocate one such room which failed to meet your requirements.
Please do come and stay again on your next visit and I can assure you we will restore your faith in Buswells Hotel. You might contact me personally in advance so that I may afford you my personal attention.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

This was my third stay at Buswells, the last time about 4 years ago. The location is perfect, in the middle of everything, and the staff is extremely helpful, but some of the small points are getting a bit off-center. We had a 4th floor room, which is actually in the back of the hotel at about the 2 1/2 floor level. The "free" wifi did not work there because it was "too far" away; that is a problem that could and should be easily remedied. The building is quite old, which is charming in its way, but it also means that the floor above ours was very creaky and loud. The hair dryer was locked into a dresser drawer (did they think I would take it?) and thus it was of no use in, for example, de-fogging the bathroom mirror after a shower. And one small bar of soap, not replaced after our first night, was not enough to last two people for two days. These are all minor annoyances that detract from an otherwise charming hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Peter S,

Many thanks for your recent review. All feedback is important to us as it enable us to improve on our product and service offering.
It is great to read that you found our location so perfect.
Our free Wi-Fi let us down in your room during your stay. We are currently re caballing these rooms as a direct result of your feedback which will eliminate this issue for future guests.
The hairdryer is cabled through the drawer of the dressing table but perfectly positioned in front of the dressing table mirror, and yes some hairdryers do go missing but thankfully very few. Our bathrooms do not have free power outlets for safety reasons so as to prevent a guest becoming electrocuted. Lastly we have oodles of soap should guests require more. If guests contact reception, we will drop more up or any other supplies a guest requires.
I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you to Buswells Hotel on your next visit to Dublin.

Berkshire, UK
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This was my first visit to Buswell's in more than twenty years (I used always to stay there on work visits to Dublin) and always enjoyed my stays. Not that much had changed. The staff were still friendly and it is still - to my mind - the best located hotel in Dublin. The room decor was a bit tired - we were at the very top of the older part of the hotel and the room was due to be renovated soon - and we had no light in the bathroom on our second night and morning. Since it was an interior bathroom, this was somewhat of a problem - dealt with by giving us a lamp which could only be placed on top of the lid of the lavatory. Very awkward. When we complained, the cost of two breakfasts was deducted from our bill (rather ungraciously, I felt). Nonetheless, I recommend Buswell's for convenience, character and general friendliness - the manager who dealt with our problem being an exception.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Quaestor,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Buswells Hotel. It is great to read that our friendly staff and great location made your stay so enjoyable.
However, I am disappointed to read your comments regarding the lighting. We endeavour to solve any maintenance issues as quickly as possible in order to limit any inconvenience to our guests.
I do hope that when you return to Dublin that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Buswells Hotel.