“Wonderful Location!”

Buswells Hotel
Ranked #24 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 May 2014

In April, after our 7 day River Cruise on the Rhine, my husband & our good friends decided to go to one of our favorite cities in Europe, Dublin! But where to stay for just 3 days? I am a travel agent and I used my resources to search for the best value and a great location and found - Buswells!
The small hotel is located near the Government buildings and about 3 blocks to the main shopping area of Grafton Street. The rooms are good sized, with high ceilings and a nice en suite bath with a shower over a very large tub. The hotel is older, but very well maintained.
The staff was always very helpful and accomodating. Our friends are Welsh, and one of them really wanted some 'Salad Cream' for the sandwich he had ordered in the pub and the hotel manager, John, ran out to the nearest grocery and got him some! Now that's service!
Often in Europe you may find that in April the heat won't be turned on in hotels as often (and sometimes too much!) as it does in the US. So our room was a bit chilly at night. (Our Welsh friends thought their room was just fine!) John again brought to our room a floor heater to warm things up a bit. Very nice.
From the helpful doorman, to the ladies at Reception, to all of the service staff in the pub & restaurant, and especially management, this hotel is your best bet while in Dublin.
We thought the rates were reasonable when you consider the time of year we were there and their location,
Thank you Buswell's for taking such wonderful care of us! We'll be back again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CaliGirl0
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear CaliGirl0,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your stay with us at Buswells Hotel. It is great to read how much you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff could assist you during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you to Buswells Hotel on your next visit to Dublin.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I read elswhere about 'dated rooms', 'small spaces' - well, it is an old building in an old city, so that shouldn't be a surprise.
We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay here. The staff were friendly and accomodating. The location is simply the best: literally across the street from the gates to Leinster House! If you enjoy the best city locations, then you will not care that your room is not the size of a palace.
The bed was fine; the bath very good (strong, hot water!); but a note of caution to car drivers: the parking garage used by the hotel is free and easy to get to (around the block, easy access) - the lot has odd hours (odd by our NY 24/7 standards, that is!). And parking during the daytime is indeed expensive. But as you are in the heart of the City, that is to be somewhat expected as major cities worldwide are becoming less and less reliant on the personal car.
Overall: I would absolutely go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Greg747LI,

Thank you for your lovely review following your stay with us last month. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and found our location so great.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Buswells on your next visit to Dublin.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

A friend booked this hotel for us and after reading some reviews I was a little concerned, I needn't have been. The hotel is well situated for all the sites in Dublin. The room was lovely, clean not enormous but big enough, the bed was so comfy, getting up was difficult. The staff were great, nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent we had both breakfast and dinner, the steak was fantastic. The only problem was a lack of large plates on the Saturday morning. It was quite expensive but nowhere is cheap in Dublin. All in all a great weekend

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Witzend48,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review following your stay with us recently. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Buswells Hotel.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Buswells hotel have lovely friendly staff and a good location. The bar has a busy atmosphere and great for people watching. Unfortunately when you leave the main part of the hotel, it's all downhill. The decor is tired, scored, abused and in dire need of a refurbishment. The rooms are small with 1990 style bathrooms and very very poor bed linens, decor and carpets. The noise at night is a drawback and the early morning staff banging on your door from 8 am shouting housekeeping. There is one positive, you can open a window and let in fresh air. The food is standard catering, both breakfast and restaurant dinner. I did not have lunch, so cannot comment. They have huge potential to develop this hotel into something for the 21 century. I had a baby in a cot and we literally had to climb over the bed to get to bathroom as the room was minute, dark and reminiscent of a jail cell. I did ask politely for a slightly bigger room to allow us to walk around the cot but was told this was all they had. Parking is away from the hotel so remember if you have a child all has to be decanted from car and carried quite a distance plus the suitcases. Not to be recommended for families but perfect for hens, stags, rugby weekenders just looking somewhere to crash.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Killin
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Killin,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review following your stay with us recent. It is great to read your found our location so good and our bar so great for people watching.

I am sorry you were less than happy with the room we allocated you. I have spoken to our front office team about the allocating of appropriate sized rooms to families so as to avoid your experience of tight space.
You mention car park, we are fortunate to have a loading bay in front of the hotel and guests who drive are welcome to pull up and decant the car before parking in the multi-story car park therefore less lugging!
We have just finished refurbishing 31 rooms in the hotel and hope to complete the balance in the new year. And lastly our bed linen is of a very good standard, we have all goose down duvets and pillows, fresh towelling and sheets.

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you again to Buswells Hotel.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Beggers can't be choosers. I had come to Dublin for buisness on a Wedensday without making any booking for accomodation that night. How hard would it be to get a room in the city centre mid week? Well, very difficult. On this particular night due to a soccer match being played in the Aviva Stadium. (Liverpool v Shamrock Rovers) accomodation was sparse in the city centre.
After physically going around to a number of city centre hotels only to be told there was no room in the inn, (I felt like Jesus and Mary in Bethlehem), I arrived at Buswells, desperate to take anything. I was given the last room (122) for the princley sum of 162 euro. The receiption staff were really nice and inculded breakfast when I asked for it to be included for the price.
The room was tiny (about 8 foot by 7 foot) with a small ensuite bathroom. It was basic.There was very little light coming into the room as I had the vista of a wall about 6 feet from my window. It had all the charm of a cell in Mountjoy Jail.
I suppouse when you are getting the last room in the Inn you are not going to get the Penthouse Suite. Other than the room, everything else in the hotel is fine. It is located close to the city centre / Grafton street / Parliment buildings / Trinity College/ St Stephens Green. The staff are helpful, The breakfast was the usual standard fare. I also had lunch there. 10 euro for a soup and a sandwich. The place was very busy for lunch. Again it was ok for what you were getting.
The most enjoyable thing to do was the people watching. A lot of Government ministers at breakfats meetings, high profile buisness lunches. From what I could see, you could tell alot about what is going to happen in the country by just by hanging around Buswells Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you are allocated the room. There seems to be a huge variance in room st...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LyrDaly
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear LyrDaly,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us last week.

We do have a few small rooms in the hotel, and whilst they are very compact they are well laid out with full ensuite bathrooms. The view is limited but this is the same for most city centre hotels.

It is great to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and found it so nice you stopped here for lunch too.

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you to Buswells Hotel again.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Our room is small. The bed and pillows are great.
The room is in between 3 housekeeping rooms, so the night was quiet, but early in the morning people slammed doors at least 30 times. It was very annoying.
Everyone's breakfasts were included, except ours. I think hotels should offer the inclusion to all its guests or none. As it turned out it looked awful. The cold meats and cheeses were not on cold trays, so they were dry and bad looking by the time we arrived. The fruit salad was brown and obviously sitting in the table for way too long. Coffee was good. Table was a mess. Nobody was keeping it neat and the signs were all askew. The juice was almost empty. And it was not cheap.
The front staff are all very nice.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Myra F

Dear Myra F,

Apologies you were disturbed by a slamming door, this has been rectified. Our buffet meats and cheese selection is in fact a chilled unit with ice packs under the serving unit. We will however take on board the thrust of your comments and amend our service standard.

I do hope you had a pleasant journey home and I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you on your next visit to Dublin.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Very nice old hotel with an excellent staff. We had a very nice room and loved staying there. There is a very nice restaurant in the hotel and an excellent bar. Breakfast is very nice and they offer same day laundry service - it was great !!
If I make it back to Dublin (and I would love to) I wouldn't even look for another hotel, I would just book a room at Buswells. I loved it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Garyshedron,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review following your stay with us at Buswells Hotel recently.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and made use of our facilities.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you on your next trip to Dublin.