“Sadly, not what it used to be”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #13 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Sadly, not what it used to be”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We loved this hotel.If we were planning a special break this was our preferred hotel by a distance. Unfortunately on our last stay 28th Dec '13 we were very disappointed. Although the staff were excellent as always the room (228) was not good. We could hear the person next door as if he were in our bathroom. Coughs, phone message alerts, general movement etc were crystal clear. The room looked like it needed updated also. The bathroom had badly cracked tiles & grout missing in places. At breakfast my wife's breakfast arrived promptly however she was long finished before mine arrived with a simple "sorry". We passed on our concerns the following morning to reception & they give us free parking in compensation.
At £180 a night I expect better. As we have a baby & one on the way, this was planned to be a special night away just the two of us. We were looking forward to a good nights sleep in a beautiful room and a stress-free breakfast but we were let down on all counts. Such a shame as we never had any problems before here.

Room Tip: Don't book 228
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Martin C
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Martin C,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your most recent visit to the city. I am most disappointed to read that your stay did not live up to your expectations, or mine. I would greatly appreciate you contacting me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss the matter in more detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Turkish first
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed in this hotel for the weekend just past. To our surprise we were given a room upgrade as a result of our stay being due to my husband's birthday celebration, lovely comfortable room with balcony overlooking st stephens green, really appreciated.
Staff pleasant and helpful at all times. Good parking facility available.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Mckaymafia,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you enjoyed the complimentary, upgraded, room overlooking St. Stephen's Green. I am equally pleased to read you found the team pleasant and helpful at all times and I have passed your kind comments on, as such feedback makes everyone's day.

Mckaymafia, should your travels bring you to Dublin again we would be delighted to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel in August 2013. Unfortunately we were let down badly both by the quality of rooms but more importantly the way we were received at check-in.

I work as a medic and had just worked a 14 hour night shift before arriving at the hotel at 12:30pm. My colleague politely asked check-in staff whether they could possibly accommodate us by allowing me to check in early to sleep in one of our rooms despite check-in being 2pm. We were greeted with a sigh and gruffly reminded that check-in was 2pm - we wouldn't have enquired had we not known this but were asking a favour from a 5 star hotel. This was followed by a lengthy wait in which the receptionist reluctantly sought a room and ignored us. I could only laugh to myself at the absurdity and appalling manner in which the staff member conducted herself - perhaps the service industry was not her calling. A minor inconvenience but I think unacceptable behaviour when we were paying £180/night/room. I realise that this should be viewed as a subjective comment but I cannot emphasise how rudely we were treated. I accept this in rare occasions at 3/4 star locations but I think a 5 star hotel should never speak to guests in this manner.

A smaller matter but again no less important were the rooms. The carpet felt like I was walking on plastic bags possibly betraying a previous serious spillage and the view was of a concrete garden and other parts of the hotel despite being this hotel being situated over St Stephen's green.

I felt short changed by the Fitzwilliam Dublin for the money we paid. It is certainly not 5 star in service and fell short in the room décor. I have had the pleasure of staying at other 5 star hotels in Dublin and while I would possibly pay £120 to stay at the Fitzwilliam, if you want a true 5 Star experience stay at the Westbury off nearby Grafton St. or The Marker at the Bord Gas Theatre - 5 mins by Taxi from Dublin City Centre.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MPK18
Dear MPK18,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your visit to the city during August 2013. I was most concerned to read the contents of your review. As you can see the majority of the guests reviewing the hotel praise the friendliness of the team. Whilst some time has elapsed since your stay, I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly so that we can discuss the points you raised in more detail. This would enable me to fully investigate your feedback and hopefully bring matter to a mutually agreeable resolution.

MPK18, I look forward to hearing from you.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 January 2014

From the moment I checked in everything went to perfection with the friendliest employee at the reception ( I think her name was Maisa), I had previously told them it was my partner's birthday with that in mind they treated us with an upgrade and upon entry to the room there was a happy birthday sign handcrafted with chocolate and a note to thank us for spending the special occasion with them. The room was spacious and the view from the balcony looking onto Stephen's Green was stunning and it showed me a side to my city I had never seen before. I highly, highly recommend this hotel. Oh and it also had the most powerful rejuvenating shower I have ever experienced.

Room Tip: The deluxe premium is extremely worth it with a stunning balcony looking onto Stephen's Green I...
Dear Alextsmurphy,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. I have passed your compliments onto Maia, the receptionist you met on arrival and she is thrilled with your feedback.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed the upgraded room, birthday chocolates and card. The views from our rooms overlooking St. Stephen's Green are quite special and it is great that you had the opportunity to enjoy those rare views.

Alextsmurphy on behalf of all the team, we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam in the near future.

Dublin
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Amazing hotel right in the heart of Dublin. The staff are what make the hotel really special, they were lovely from before we even stepped in the door, as booking was made so easy by their quick response to all sorts of questions.

Would highly recommend anyone to stay there, even though it's not the cheapest it is worth it. Also, make sure you enjoy a cocktail in the bar, they're special! The whiskey sour especially is one to try!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Stephen's Green, if it's available the view is great
Dear Irljs,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay. I am so delighted that the team made such a positive impact on your stay and I have passed your kind comments on, as feedback such as yours makes all our efforts worthwhile.

Irljs on behalf of all the team, we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam in the near future.

Basking Ridge
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I am a hotel snob. The Fitzwilliam lived up to my standards. Great central location, safe area, can walk to nearly everything from here, clean facilities and room, no funky smells. Rooms are not as big as American standards, but European and UK hotel rooms rarely are. Staff was courteous and helpful. Overall, if I came back to Dublin, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Tamarams235,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted to read we lived up to your expectations in terms of location, room facilities & cleanliness and staff. I was equally pleased to read you found the staff courteous and helpful. I have taken the liberty of passing your kind comments on to the team, as feedback such as yours makes everyone's day.

Tamarams235, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to welcoming you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Northern Ireland
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed at the Fitzwilliam when it first opened & again last month. It was a last resort due to a big rugby game that weekend. As I 5 star it was distinctly unimpressive. The bar is internal so there's no outlook ( as is in the Shelbourne) we upgraded our room & found it to be no bigger than the standard size of other nearby 3 star accommodation. Breakfast was fine if you had a deal, greatly overpriced as a stand alone buy there are so many alternatives locally.If you want a St Stephens Green 5 star experience the Merrion & are the Shelbourne are your only real choices.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bellefast
Dear Bellefast,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your breakfast. We provide "room only" and "bed & breakfast" rates to all our guests and would always advise any guests planning to have breakfast to book a "bed & breakfast" rate.

The Fitzwilliam is a contemporary five star hotel and therefore is quite different to a historic hotel building, such as The Shelbourne. I am sorry that our contemporary design and décor did not appeal to you.