“Very enjoyable stay will return”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #15 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
“Very enjoyable stay will return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Location excellent, service great. Room was a twin no space between the beds, but the decor was lovely, room was spotless, breakfast was lovely. Wil return. Chocolates on the pillow a nice touch, great quality shampoo etc

• Stayed February 2014
Guest_Relations_Fitz, Public Relations Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear moon2812,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased to read you found the team pleasant and helpful, that you enjoyed breakfast & were impressed by the bedroom décor.

moon2812, should your travels bring you to Dublin again we would be delighted to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I spent hours reading reviews on Trip Advisor to select the right hotel for my husband and I, as it was our first trip to Ireland and am so glad I settled on The Fitzwilliam. When we travel we definitely don't like to cut corners on our accommodations. The Fitzwiliam did not disappoint.

We arrived from the US on early Saturday morning, January 20th. Arriving at the hotel around 10:00 we were expecting to have to wait to check in. Instead, smiling Brid (pronounced "Breed," short for Bridget) literally showed us to our room immediately. When I noticed the bed looked more like a queen than the king size I had booked, without hesitation she switched us to a room at the back of the hotel with a king sized bed. That room was SO QUIET that after walking to Brawleys' for breakfast we returned to the room and slept until about 5:00. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room, thankfully, had its own thermostat. I had read other reviews about hotels in Dublin (5 star) being too warm and having no temperature control so we appreciated this.

The shower/tub was excellent. Good water pressure, great towels, robes and slippers. The breakfast buffet was excellent quality and prompt service.

Our trip was planned for three nights in Dublin before moving onto Belfast and we would be returning to Dublin for the last two nights. Since I didn't know what to expect at The Fitzwilliam, I had only booked it for the first three nights. While we were out in the city the first few nights, we stopped by some of the other hotels I had considered staying at, but as far as cost, location, friendliness, room (yes, we even inspected rooms at the other hotels) we just couldn't beat The Fitzwilliam, so we booked it for the final two nights before we left, requesting the same room upon return (552) as it was so quiet. Checked back in when we returned and, as promised, they had reserved that room for us.

We spent five days in Dublin, getting to know the city and found The Fitzwilliam to be ideally located. Right on St Stephen's Green, it is in walking distance to The Temple Bar District and other attractions, and a short cab ride to just about anywhere else we wanted to go.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room, as the hotel is near the Temple Bar District. That said, it is right outs...
2 Thank martha c
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Martha C,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your first visit to Ireland and Dublin! If we have a room available, we will always accommodate our early arriving guests by proving an immediate check-in. Brid has a great smile and personality and I have passed your kind comments on to her.

Whilst we are in the heart of the city, overlooking St. Stephen's Green, our rooms are very quiet, particularly the ones facing our courtyard garden. I am really pleased you enjoyed the comfort and facilities of your room.

We believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I am delighted that both of you enjoyed it.

Martha C on behalf of all the team we look forward to the opportunity to welcome both of back to The Fitzwilliam.

Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel last weekend. Everything about our stay was fantastic! Beautiful room with lovely décor. When we arrived classical music was paying in our room and chocolates were left out which we felt were lovely touches! The room was lovely and warm, beds so comfortable, and room was very quiet. Breakfast was fantastic- one of the best in the hotels we have stayed in. Staff were fantastic- so friendly and helpful. An added bonus was that breakfast was served until 12 o' clock- very welcome of a Sunday morning!! This is our third time staying here. We have stayed in many other hotels in Dublin, but this is the best hotel in the area, in our experience. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear GPC792,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your most recent visit to the city. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the comfort and décor of your room and the associated additional touches. I was equally pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast so much - we serve until midday on Sunday to allow our guests an extra few hours sleep!

GPC792, on behalf of all the team we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Fitzwilliam in the very near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We loved this hotel.If we were planning a special break this was our preferred hotel by a distance. Unfortunately on our last stay 28th Dec '13 we were very disappointed. Although the staff were excellent as always the room (228) was not good. We could hear the person next door as if he were in our bathroom. Coughs, phone message alerts, general movement etc were crystal clear. The room looked like it needed updated also. The bathroom had badly cracked tiles & grout missing in places. At breakfast my wife's breakfast arrived promptly however she was long finished before mine arrived with a simple "sorry". We passed on our concerns the following morning to reception & they give us free parking in compensation.
At £180 a night I expect better. As we have a baby & one on the way, this was planned to be a special night away just the two of us. We were looking forward to a good nights sleep in a beautiful room and a stress-free breakfast but we were let down on all counts. Such a shame as we never had any problems before here.

Room Tip: Don't book 228
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Martin C
Dear Martin C,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your most recent visit to the city. I am most disappointed to read that your stay did not live up to your expectations, or mine. I would greatly appreciate you contacting me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss the matter in more detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Newry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed in this hotel for the weekend just past. To our surprise we were given a room upgrade as a result of our stay being due to my husband's birthday celebration, lovely comfortable room with balcony overlooking st stephens green, really appreciated.
Staff pleasant and helpful at all times. Good parking facility available.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Mckaymafia,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you enjoyed the complimentary, upgraded, room overlooking St. Stephen's Green. I am equally pleased to read you found the team pleasant and helpful at all times and I have passed your kind comments on, as such feedback makes everyone's day.

Mckaymafia, should your travels bring you to Dublin again we would be delighted to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel in August 2013. Unfortunately we were let down badly both by the quality of rooms but more importantly the way we were received at check-in.

I work as a medic and had just worked a 14 hour night shift before arriving at the hotel at 12:30pm. My colleague politely asked check-in staff whether they could possibly accommodate us by allowing me to check in early to sleep in one of our rooms despite check-in being 2pm. We were greeted with a sigh and gruffly reminded that check-in was 2pm - we wouldn't have enquired had we not known this but were asking a favour from a 5 star hotel. This was followed by a lengthy wait in which the receptionist reluctantly sought a room and ignored us. I could only laugh to myself at the absurdity and appalling manner in which the staff member conducted herself - perhaps the service industry was not her calling. A minor inconvenience but I think unacceptable behaviour when we were paying £180/night/room. I realise that this should be viewed as a subjective comment but I cannot emphasise how rudely we were treated. I accept this in rare occasions at 3/4 star locations but I think a 5 star hotel should never speak to guests in this manner.

A smaller matter but again no less important were the rooms. The carpet felt like I was walking on plastic bags possibly betraying a previous serious spillage and the view was of a concrete garden and other parts of the hotel despite being this hotel being situated over St Stephen's green.

I felt short changed by the Fitzwilliam Dublin for the money we paid. It is certainly not 5 star in service and fell short in the room décor. I have had the pleasure of staying at other 5 star hotels in Dublin and while I would possibly pay £120 to stay at the Fitzwilliam, if you want a true 5 Star experience stay at the Westbury off nearby Grafton St. or The Marker at the Bord Gas Theatre - 5 mins by Taxi from Dublin City Centre.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MPK18
Dear MPK18,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your visit to the city during August 2013. I was most concerned to read the contents of your review. As you can see the majority of the guests reviewing the hotel praise the friendliness of the team. Whilst some time has elapsed since your stay, I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly so that we can discuss the points you raised in more detail. This would enable me to fully investigate your feedback and hopefully bring matter to a mutually agreeable resolution.

MPK18, I look forward to hearing from you.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

From the moment I checked in everything went to perfection with the friendliest employee at the reception ( I think her name was Maisa), I had previously told them it was my partner's birthday with that in mind they treated us with an upgrade and upon entry to the room there was a happy birthday sign handcrafted with chocolate and a note to thank us for spending the special occasion with them. The room was spacious and the view from the balcony looking onto Stephen's Green was stunning and it showed me a side to my city I had never seen before. I highly, highly recommend this hotel. Oh and it also had the most powerful rejuvenating shower I have ever experienced.

Room Tip: The deluxe premium is extremely worth it with a stunning balcony looking onto Stephen's Green I...
Dear Alextsmurphy,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. I have passed your compliments onto Maia, the receptionist you met on arrival and she is thrilled with your feedback.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed the upgraded room, birthday chocolates and card. The views from our rooms overlooking St. Stephen's Green are quite special and it is great that you had the opportunity to enjoy those rare views.

Alextsmurphy on behalf of all the team, we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam in the near future.