“Lovely hotel - fantastic location”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #15 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Belfast, Northern Ireland
“Lovely hotel - fantastic location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed for four nights in July 2013. The hotel is lovely, but the location is fantastic. We were staying with our 1 1/2 year old son, so it was really nice to be able to take a 30-second walk across to St Stephens Green to dander about rather than being stuck in the hotel, particularly useful first thing in the morning when we were waiting on each other to get ready. Again, it's a very short walk to the shopping areas.

Staff were friendly and helpful, e.g. parking the car for us on arrival.

Food was good - we ate in the hotel bar two evenings and really enjoyed it.

Rooms aren't huge or particularly plush, but they are clean and comfortable.

Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Guest_Relations_Fitz, Guest Relations Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear N_Antrim_Journey,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay in July 2013. I am so delighted that the team made such a positive impact on your stay and I have passed your kind comments on, as feedback such as yours makes all our efforts worthwhile.

N_Antrim_Journey, on behalf of all the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Fitzwilliam in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Turkish first
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I have to agree with the previous reviewer, the staff and service are generally 5 star but the room was not as expected. Having booked as a post Christmas treat from my husband we were quite disappointed. The room was small and a bit worn around the edges. Again like the previous reviewer we had a problem on our final morning with the water temperature which we reported to reception. Unfortunately after being asked several times were we sure we had let it run long enough (we had) it was not rectified in a timely manner and resulted in icy cold showers for both of us. Reception did apologize on check out and gave us a voucher which could be used on our next visit. This is a bit of a cop out as it is unlikely if we do decide to spend that amount of money again we will be back here. That said location is perfect if you can overlook some minor flaws and the price tag.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear splodgeireland,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel. I was equally pleased to read you found the team very helpful and friendly and I have passed your kind comments on to everyone.

splodgeireland, I would like to apologise for the hot water issues you suffered whilst staying in the Fitzwilliam. Please rest assured that these issues have been given absolute priority by the Maintenance team in order to ensure that there will be no repeat of this.

splodgeireland, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend with friends. To say we were underwhelmed would be an understatement. It is listed as a 5 star hotel but there is little to merit this.
The staff and service are definitely 5 star. I requested feather free room and this was noted which was appreciated. I also asked that my husbands 40th be acknowledged but it wasn't. Not a big deal.
All staff we met were very polite, welcoming, friendly & efficient. The servicing of the room twice daily was to a very high standard.
However, the room was very small and very ordinary for a 5 star hotel. The queen size bed was small. But most disappointing was the bathroom. The water temperature was very hard to regulate in the shower. One minute a lovely warm shower, next minute icy cold. Also the water somehow poured onto the floor, not sure how. But stepping out onto a soaking bath mat was not pleasant.
We paid a significant nightly rate, as it was a birthday treat & a premium rugby weekend and unfortunately I did not feel the Fitzwilliam lived up to it. There is no "wow" factor when you walk in. There is no atmosphere in the very quiet bar.
The staff, service & location make this a very good choice but not a 5 star choice.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear CorkGirlEire,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your visit to Dublin. I am delighted you found the team incredibly friendly, helpful & efficient.

Let me assure you that your comments regarding the regulating of water temperature has been given the utmost priority by our Maintenance Team.

CorkGirlEire, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to welcoming you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Could not fault this hotel one bit.

Any minor issues, the concierge team went more than out of their way to address and go beyond what was needed.

Would deffinately stay again.

After staying in many 5*hotels around the world that do not deserve the rating, it is very refreshing to stay in places that really do deserve the status.

Thanks

Paddy & Natalie

• Stayed February 2014
Dear ThePinkerton2,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay & that you found the hotel definitely worthy of it's 5 star grading.

ThePinkerton2, should your travels bring you to Dublin again we would be delighted to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel past midnight , the Chef has left for the night.... I was starving .... John, the Manager at the time, went out of his way (because it was not in the menu), to serve me the best and freshest shrimp cocktail in the world (no salt!, because most hotels and restaurants actually kill the food with too much salt! They kill me too! Ugh!). Hence, I was able to savor the natural sweetness of the shrimps in its purest state, as if just caught from the ocean! He served it with a mild tomato based sauce that has a slight fruity tinge to it. Whatever it was, it was so delicious! Please put that on your menu?

John, Thank you so much again, from the bottom of my heart! I hope to see you again very soon! :)***

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear GirlBlue7,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your visit to Ireland and Dublin!
John always goes that extra mile to look after our guests and I have passed your kind comments on to him.

GirlBlue7, on behalf of all the team we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Location excellent, service great. Room was a twin no space between the beds, but the decor was lovely, room was spotless, breakfast was lovely. Wil return. Chocolates on the pillow a nice touch, great quality shampoo etc

• Stayed February 2014
Guest_Relations_Fitz, Public Relations Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear moon2812,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased to read you found the team pleasant and helpful, that you enjoyed breakfast & were impressed by the bedroom décor.

moon2812, should your travels bring you to Dublin again we would be delighted to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I spent hours reading reviews on Trip Advisor to select the right hotel for my husband and I, as it was our first trip to Ireland and am so glad I settled on The Fitzwilliam. When we travel we definitely don't like to cut corners on our accommodations. The Fitzwiliam did not disappoint.

We arrived from the US on early Saturday morning, January 20th. Arriving at the hotel around 10:00 we were expecting to have to wait to check in. Instead, smiling Brid (pronounced "Breed," short for Bridget) literally showed us to our room immediately. When I noticed the bed looked more like a queen than the king size I had booked, without hesitation she switched us to a room at the back of the hotel with a king sized bed. That room was SO QUIET that after walking to Brawleys' for breakfast we returned to the room and slept until about 5:00. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room, thankfully, had its own thermostat. I had read other reviews about hotels in Dublin (5 star) being too warm and having no temperature control so we appreciated this.

The shower/tub was excellent. Good water pressure, great towels, robes and slippers. The breakfast buffet was excellent quality and prompt service.

Our trip was planned for three nights in Dublin before moving onto Belfast and we would be returning to Dublin for the last two nights. Since I didn't know what to expect at The Fitzwilliam, I had only booked it for the first three nights. While we were out in the city the first few nights, we stopped by some of the other hotels I had considered staying at, but as far as cost, location, friendliness, room (yes, we even inspected rooms at the other hotels) we just couldn't beat The Fitzwilliam, so we booked it for the final two nights before we left, requesting the same room upon return (552) as it was so quiet. Checked back in when we returned and, as promised, they had reserved that room for us.

We spent five days in Dublin, getting to know the city and found The Fitzwilliam to be ideally located. Right on St Stephen's Green, it is in walking distance to The Temple Bar District and other attractions, and a short cab ride to just about anywhere else we wanted to go.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room, as the hotel is near the Temple Bar District. That said, it is right outs...