“Great location, stylish & modern”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #18 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed here over New Year. The hotel is in a fantastic location, right on St Stephen's Green and adjacent to Grafton Street, just a stone's throw from many great bars, restaurants, shops and tourist attractions.

The hotel itself is modern, stylish and welcoming. All staff we encountered were extremely friendly and helpful. Everyone was ready with a smile and friendly greeting.

The bar situated beside the reception was great. Good food, lovely staff and fabulous chocolate martinis! Always a bonus. The bar serves food throughout the day and is a good choice for a later breakfast if you have missed the restaurant breakfast due to over-indulging in Guinness the night before!

The room itself was very chic, with a stylish and practical window seat/table arrangement.
However, a major disappointment (and for me, a loss of the 5th star) was the bathroom. It was small, but this is not the reason - we have stayed at other hotels with similar sized bathroom have have been both stylish and functional (Hotel Indigo in Glasgow for one). The poor tiling, leaking bath tap, mouldy grout & silicone, shower curtain (in a 5 star hotel?!) and general poor design and lack of maintenance resulted in a less than luxurious bathing experience. It was particularly incongruous with the modern and stylish bedroom and the plush carpet in the hallways. The shower itself was really powerful (perhaps too much?) and combined with the flimsy curtain, this was most likely the cause of the previous water damage. It was in stark contrast to the high standard of the rest of the hotel.

Overall, I would stay here again - the location, staff and (most of) the design make the hotel a great choice. However, I can only hope they are re-modelling the bathrooms before my next visit!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Caz141,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your New Year's visit to the city. I am delighted you enjoyed the central location of the hotel, the décor and welcome you received.

It is great you had an opportunity to dine in The Inn on the Green; the perfect place for a bite to eat "the day after the night before"!

I am very disappointed to read the feedback regarding the bathroom as we pride ourselves on an exceptionally high standard of room and bathroom maintenance. Clearly that standard was not met in the room you stayed in. Thank you for this feedback and be assured it will be acted upon.

Caz141, when you are next planning a visit to Dublin, please contact us directly and we shall ensure you get the best available rate for you and your family.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed here in March of 2014. Great location, beautiful hotel, very comfortable, and beautiful rooms and with super comfy beds and a variety of pillows (I love that). And they also provide a nice big white cotton robe!

The staff is incredibly friendly and nice. My travel agent booked me in the wrong day (thanks), but the hotel made it all better with very little fuss.

I really can't find anything negative to say - if I had to say something, I think they need new big bath towels because they are starting to feel a bit thin - but if this is the worst thing about this hotel, then there is nothing wrong with this hotel. I do wish they had a mini-fridge for personal use so I could put in my lovely gluten-free food-neurotic stuff :)

My favorite moment was getting into the cab, and the doorman was getting me a cab - as I left, I guess I dropped my sunglass cloth inside the hotel, and he actually saw it and rushed back to give it to me! It's those little things that make an impression of the type of people who work at a hotel.

Would definitely stay here again when I am back in Dublin.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear AshBH,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really pleased to read you enjoyed the central location of the hotel and the comfort of your room and facilities.

I am delighted that you found the team incredibly friendly and nice and I have passed your kind comments on to them.

I have noted your feedback regarding the bath towels.

AshBH, there are minibars in every room, which we can partially or fully empty for your gluten free items. Also, we stock a range of gluten free items within the hotel, so feel free to contact us directly prior to your next visit and we can discuss the best options for you.

I am delighted that one of our team spotted your sunglass cloth and managed to get it to you prior to your departure. They have frequently followed departing guests with much larger "forgotten" items!

AshBh, when you are next planning a visit to Dublin, please contact us directly and we shall ensure you get the best available rate and refrigerated space for your gluten free items.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I am just astonished that such a lovely hotel is found in such a perfect location, and the price was very reasonable too! Hotel room was very modern in design, the bath was just luxurious, staff were so friendly. Will stay again for sure!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked the Fitzwilliam Hotel for a party of 7 ladies to celebrate a 70th birthday . Having stayed there previously I was aware that the hotel standard was very high and it would be the ideal venue for a special treat. Although we could have chosen a less expensive hotel, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for and I would have no hesitation in paying that bit extra as the service is second to none. The location of the hotel is also perfect ,being as central as you can get for the main shopping areas, Dublin sights and restaurants & nightlife. From the moment you arrive at the hotel you are treated like royalty. The staff make you feel so special and cannot do enough for you. After pulling up outside the door , we were greeted by the welcoming smile of Jarko, who could not have been more accommodating and helpful. Special thanks to him as being a party of 7 ladies who had also been shopping in the morning we had a considerable amount of luggage! We had 3rooms booked and initially we did have a issue with one of the rooms as we were not aware that the “third” bed was a pull out couch. However, what was initially an issue was resolved quickly and efficiently by Cora Caples. Cora was most helpful and actually exceeded our expectations with how she dealt with our complaint. This was no mean feat, as we were expecting very high standards, especially as one of the party is a Hotel Manager herself. Thank you Cora and Jarko for making our stay a very memorable occasion and giving us a lot to talk about on the way home in a very positive way. We had such a fabulous stay that I have this morning booked the same party of 7 for another stay in November for another 70th birthday. We are so looking forward to experiencing the wonderful hospitality again, not forgetting to mention the fantastic breakfast which again was served to us by staff who were friendly, welcoming and make you feel that nothing is too much to satisfy their guests. Well done to everyone and thank you. There are enough stars to rate our stay. Fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Deirdre,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your most recent visit to the city to celebrate a 70th birthday. I am delighted that you chose to stay with us for this very special occasion.

Our central location makes it exceptionally easy to explore all that the city has to offer. Jarrko's smile never leaves his face and he is always on hand to assist guest and colleagues alike; I have passed your kind comments on to him as feedback such as yours makes everyone's day.

Deirdre, it was my pleasure to assist you and resolve the bedroom allocations and to ensure that your special occasion was a memorable one for all the right reasons!

We believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we offer a wide range of cooked and continental items. I am so pleased that your party enjoyed the food and service.

Deirdre, the biggest compliment that we can ever receive is when a guest tells us they are coming back for another stay because they had such a good time on this stay - so on behalf of all the team - "thank you"!

We look forward to welcoming all of you back in November and if I may be of any assistance to you in the interim, please contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed at the hotel for two nights (Friday and Saturday Night) on a visit to Dublin having stayed in the hotel before I was aware of what to expect thou this time I was just overwhelmed by the excellence in every department, We arrived at 1am Friday Morning and had a hassle free check in to a very well-appointed deluxe room with nothing to fault. Breakfast was great plentiful and the staff where very attentive. Louiz from the night staff was simply excellent his customer service is brilliant and always greats you with a smile, the highlight of my stay was his attention to detail and eagerness to help at all times nothing was too much.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Coolouis,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your most recent visit to the city and the hotel. I am really delighted to read we exceeded you expectations in every department on this visit. Luiz is a valuable member of our night team; he always has a smile on his face and is eager to assist all our guests. I have passed your kind comments on to him.

We believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I am delighted you took the time to have this meal with us.

Coolouis, we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed here at the end of Jan 2014.

We booked the hotel only the night before we went and we rang the hotel directly to get a better price. They definitely beat any price that was available on all the last minute hotel booking websites so I would definitely recommend trying this if you find yourself in a similar position.

Pros: hotel itself is beautiful just as you'd expect from a (city centre) 5 star hotel. The location is perfect if you're aiming for South Dublin City interests. Restaurants, shopping etc all within walking distance.
Parking is a big pro for this hotel, in my opinion. For 10E we parked for 2 days at the hotel and just walked to where we needed.

Cons: breakfast was not good... for a 5 star hotel I definitely expected (and have experienced) better in other hotels. Not much choice really which would normally be fine but if your'e going to offer such a limited breakfast menu it really needs to be cooked a lot better. My partner had sausages/bacon that was well over cooked. The toast was served about 10 mins before the hot breakfast ever arrived.
If your'e just after a continental breakfast - it's OK but comparable to 4 star hotel quality.

The other thing that caused me to rate this hotel lower was the heat in the bedroom. Though it was the end of January and temperatures were cold enough the bedroom was roasting even with the air con turned on. We rang reception and they suggested turning off the radiator which we did but maybe it was the heat from the rooms next to us but really, really too warm.

For a 5 star modern hotel I would have expected a separate bath and shower in the bathroom, but there is only a bath tub in a relatively small bathroom.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TravellingNoirin,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your January visit to the city. We will always ensure that guests who contact us directly receive the best available rate and I am really pleased to read you did so.

Our location is very central and with onsite parking, it means once you arrive you can forget your car and easily walk to the sights, shops, restaurants and bars.

I am sorry that your breakfast did not meet your expectations and have fed back your comments to our Food Service team. Our a la carte breakfast menu has everything from porridge, to full Irish breakfasts, to pancakes, omelettes and eggs benedict - I regret that you did not find sufficient choice in this offer.

I have noted your feedback regarding room temperature; all rooms have individual AC units, which when set to the lowest setting make the rooms quite cool.

We have many different room types and bathrooms; some with shower over bath and more with a separate bath and shower. When you are next planning a visit to the city, please contact us directly and we can advise you of the room types that that have separate bath and shower.

TravellingNoirin, we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Right on St Stephens Green and very central to Grafton Street. Staff were great. They worked hard to get me the type of room I needed and were very helpful. The breakfast was really good! Was just disappointed I didnt have time to avail of all of the hotel had to offer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Philip519

Dear Philip519,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay so much. Our location is certainly central and I am really pleased that you found the team very helpful. I have passed your kind comments on as feedback such as yours makes everyone's day!

We believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I am really pleased that you had an opportunity to enjoy it.

Philip519, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Fitzwilliam for a more leisurely stay on your next visit to the city.