“Excellent”

Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Galway, Ireland
“Excellent”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

One of the best hotels in Dublin. Staff are brilliant and very friendly! Rooms are comfortable and beautiful. Breakfast was excellent. Would definitely recommend this hotel and will definitely be back in the future!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Lfinnegan1,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you found the team so friendly as it is one of our core values. I have passed your kind comments on to everyone.

We believe that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day and I am really pleased you enjoyed your meal so much.

Lfinnegan1, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Fitzwilliam on your next visit to Dublin.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Turkish first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed this past weekend in the Fitzwilliam,going down for the Six nations rugby match, it was our second visit to this hotel. It was another enjoyable experience. The staff cannot do enough for you, from being personally shown to your room on arrival, the concierge seeking you out on departure to see if you need a taxi, it's little things like this that make all the difference.
Even the staff in the bar impressed, the girl who served us on Friday night and Saturday was so friendly and welcoming (unfortunately I can't remember her name, a young dark haired girl). We stayed in one of the rooms on the second floor overlooking the courtyard, it was a nice room, but didn't compare with the room overlooking the green we had on our last visit, but I think Beyonce and her entourage had taken over the upper floors during our visit.
The location of the hotel is second to none. I can't wait until my next visit to the Fitzwilliam, Highly recommended.

Room Tip: A room with a view of St Stephens green would be good, but the courtyard facing rooms are definitely...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jim & Linda,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your six nations visit to the city. I am delighted that you found the team so helpful and friendly as they are our core values. I have passed your kind comments on to everyone and in particular the bar team.

I am glad you liked your courtyard garden room; they are wonderfully quiet. Like you, my personal preference are the rooms overlooking St. Stephen's Green, as they provide a unique view over the city.

Jim & Linda, we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam on your next visit to Dublin.

Ireland
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Well where to begin, when booking our stay on the hotel website, we phoned the Fitzwilliam after to make sure our booking was complete, the lady I spoke with said she would phone me back when she received the booking, (I thought her name was Caitriona, but the hotel said it was Maria ), well she did phone me back and took great time with me as I had explained that recently good recommended hotels were slipping and these packages that were offered seemed to be the worst rooms in hotels, so I asked for a nice room, Maria was lovely and told me about the rooms that were available, so we decided on a room to the front of the green, Maria did explain about the noise, (which by the way was not bad at all) I did request a room with two double beds as I was taking my mum which I was told would be no problem that she would give us a family room with two large beds.

When we arrived to check in the receptionist Manuel was giving us a twin room two single beds in the back of the hotel, I explained my phone call with Maria, but he was clearly confused and did not know how to deal with the situation, we asked him questions and he just did not answer us, so finally when we were starting to get some what annoyed and about to leave, he said he had a deluxe room available facing the green he would up- grade us to, at no extra cost( €150 extra if paying ) he showed us to the room which I have to say was a standard double room, definitely not the five star as it states on website This five star environment will provide you with a relaxing and stylish retreat for your stay in Dublin ...
Great location if you want to explore the city, lovely staff, dinner menu very limited if you on a package, dinner ok not what you would expect from five star, breakfast was cold on both mornings, the first morning we did not say anything but the second morning we did, on our second day we put the clean our room sign on the door in the morning but when we returned late that evening our room was not cleaned so we had to ring looking for towels, toiletries etc, overall very disappointed with our stay,

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JacquiEddie
Dear Heatherfeb,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your February visit to the city. I am sorry that your stay did not live up to your, or my expectations. I would greatly appreciate you contacting the hotel directly so that this matter can be discussed in more detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Livingston, Scotland
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed here over New Year. The hotel is in a fantastic location, right on St Stephen's Green and adjacent to Grafton Street, just a stone's throw from many great bars, restaurants, shops and tourist attractions.

The hotel itself is modern, stylish and welcoming. All staff we encountered were extremely friendly and helpful. Everyone was ready with a smile and friendly greeting.

The bar situated beside the reception was great. Good food, lovely staff and fabulous chocolate martinis! Always a bonus. The bar serves food throughout the day and is a good choice for a later breakfast if you have missed the restaurant breakfast due to over-indulging in Guinness the night before!

The room itself was very chic, with a stylish and practical window seat/table arrangement.
However, a major disappointment (and for me, a loss of the 5th star) was the bathroom. It was small, but this is not the reason - we have stayed at other hotels with similar sized bathroom have have been both stylish and functional (Hotel Indigo in Glasgow for one). The poor tiling, leaking bath tap, mouldy grout & silicone, shower curtain (in a 5 star hotel?!) and general poor design and lack of maintenance resulted in a less than luxurious bathing experience. It was particularly incongruous with the modern and stylish bedroom and the plush carpet in the hallways. The shower itself was really powerful (perhaps too much?) and combined with the flimsy curtain, this was most likely the cause of the previous water damage. It was in stark contrast to the high standard of the rest of the hotel.

Overall, I would stay here again - the location, staff and (most of) the design make the hotel a great choice. However, I can only hope they are re-modelling the bathrooms before my next visit!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Caz141,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your New Year's visit to the city. I am delighted you enjoyed the central location of the hotel, the décor and welcome you received.

It is great you had an opportunity to dine in The Inn on the Green; the perfect place for a bite to eat "the day after the night before"!

I am very disappointed to read the feedback regarding the bathroom as we pride ourselves on an exceptionally high standard of room and bathroom maintenance. Clearly that standard was not met in the room you stayed in. Thank you for this feedback and be assured it will be acted upon.

Caz141, when you are next planning a visit to Dublin, please contact us directly and we shall ensure you get the best available rate for you and your family.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed here in March of 2014. Great location, beautiful hotel, very comfortable, and beautiful rooms and with super comfy beds and a variety of pillows (I love that). And they also provide a nice big white cotton robe!

The staff is incredibly friendly and nice. My travel agent booked me in the wrong day (thanks), but the hotel made it all better with very little fuss.

I really can't find anything negative to say - if I had to say something, I think they need new big bath towels because they are starting to feel a bit thin - but if this is the worst thing about this hotel, then there is nothing wrong with this hotel. I do wish they had a mini-fridge for personal use so I could put in my lovely gluten-free food-neurotic stuff :)

My favorite moment was getting into the cab, and the doorman was getting me a cab - as I left, I guess I dropped my sunglass cloth inside the hotel, and he actually saw it and rushed back to give it to me! It's those little things that make an impression of the type of people who work at a hotel.

Would definitely stay here again when I am back in Dublin.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear AshBH,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really pleased to read you enjoyed the central location of the hotel and the comfort of your room and facilities.

I am delighted that you found the team incredibly friendly and nice and I have passed your kind comments on to them.

I have noted your feedback regarding the bath towels.

AshBH, there are minibars in every room, which we can partially or fully empty for your gluten free items. Also, we stock a range of gluten free items within the hotel, so feel free to contact us directly prior to your next visit and we can discuss the best options for you.

I am delighted that one of our team spotted your sunglass cloth and managed to get it to you prior to your departure. They have frequently followed departing guests with much larger "forgotten" items!

AshBh, when you are next planning a visit to Dublin, please contact us directly and we shall ensure you get the best available rate and refrigerated space for your gluten free items.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I am just astonished that such a lovely hotel is found in such a perfect location, and the price was very reasonable too! Hotel room was very modern in design, the bath was just luxurious, staff were so friendly. Will stay again for sure!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Monaghan, Ireland
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked the Fitzwilliam Hotel for a party of 7 ladies to celebrate a 70th birthday . Having stayed there previously I was aware that the hotel standard was very high and it would be the ideal venue for a special treat. Although we could have chosen a less expensive hotel, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for and I would have no hesitation in paying that bit extra as the service is second to none. The location of the hotel is also perfect ,being as central as you can get for the main shopping areas, Dublin sights and restaurants & nightlife. From the moment you arrive at the hotel you are treated like royalty. The staff make you feel so special and cannot do enough for you. After pulling up outside the door , we were greeted by the welcoming smile of Jarko, who could not have been more accommodating and helpful. Special thanks to him as being a party of 7 ladies who had also been shopping in the morning we had a considerable amount of luggage! We had 3rooms booked and initially we did have a issue with one of the rooms as we were not aware that the “third” bed was a pull out couch. However, what was initially an issue was resolved quickly and efficiently by Cora Caples. Cora was most helpful and actually exceeded our expectations with how she dealt with our complaint. This was no mean feat, as we were expecting very high standards, especially as one of the party is a Hotel Manager herself. Thank you Cora and Jarko for making our stay a very memorable occasion and giving us a lot to talk about on the way home in a very positive way. We had such a fabulous stay that I have this morning booked the same party of 7 for another stay in November for another 70th birthday. We are so looking forward to experiencing the wonderful hospitality again, not forgetting to mention the fantastic breakfast which again was served to us by staff who were friendly, welcoming and make you feel that nothing is too much to satisfy their guests. Well done to everyone and thank you. There are enough stars to rate our stay. Fantastic.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Deirdre,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your most recent visit to the city to celebrate a 70th birthday. I am delighted that you chose to stay with us for this very special occasion.

Our central location makes it exceptionally easy to explore all that the city has to offer. Jarrko's smile never leaves his face and he is always on hand to assist guest and colleagues alike; I have passed your kind comments on to him as feedback such as yours makes everyone's day.

Deirdre, it was my pleasure to assist you and resolve the bedroom allocations and to ensure that your special occasion was a memorable one for all the right reasons!

We believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we offer a wide range of cooked and continental items. I am so pleased that your party enjoyed the food and service.

Deirdre, the biggest compliment that we can ever receive is when a guest tells us they are coming back for another stay because they had such a good time on this stay - so on behalf of all the team - "thank you"!

We look forward to welcoming all of you back in November and if I may be of any assistance to you in the interim, please contact me directly at the hotel.