“Top Quality hotel in the perfect location”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #17 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed here for one night last weekend. We got upgraded to a deluxe room looking over the park with a four poster bed! Room was fantastic. Staff were very professional and friendly. Location is fantastic right at the top of Grafton Street. Only negative I have is that I didn't find the pillows very comfortable. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Glenio,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit and for your positive recommendation. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the central location and complimentary upgraded room overlooking St. Stephen's Green.

I am sorry that you did not find the pillows comfortable; we have a number of different types available so when you next stay, please let us know your preference and we would be delighted to place the appropriate pillow in your room.

It is great you found the team very professional and friendly and I have passed your kind comments on to the team as such feedback makes everyone's day!

Glenio, we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam in the very near future.

There are newer reviews for Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Friendly staff, amazing location just off Grafton road and tram , quality services, very clean rooms.
I will definitely visit it again.
I find it the best hotel in Dublin , highly recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Hutham A,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit and for your positive recommendation. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the central location and quality service.

I was delighted to read you found the staff friendly and I have passed you kind comments on to all the team as feedback such as yours makes everyone's day.

Hutham A, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Fitzwilliam in the very near future.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

What a disappointment. Especially after staying at the Fitzwilliam Belfast before visiting this property. We were saving this for the end of our Ireland and N. Ireland trip to celebrate my partner's birthday. I reserved a deluxe room and was told by the front desk manager that we were upgraded to premium deluxe (a perk for booking directly according to their webpage). Not sure if we were but the evening manager said our room was the deluxe we reserved. This is fine and it did come with a small balcony. We were on the 4th floor. It was room 408 if I remember correctly. No way would this qualify for a three star or even two stars by most standards. Hallway leading to the room was shabby as the carpet was worn and old. Inside, the there was thick chalking and black molds around the tub and sink/ bathroom floor. The furniture in the room was well past it prime. Bed was comfy though. The biggest disappointment was how thin the walls were. We tried to rest and heard our neighbor talking and their tv the whole time. We went out for a few hours and came back to the same noise. They were not excessively loud, the walls were just thin. And when they were on their balcony talking and drinking, it sounded like they were in our room.

I went down and the evening manager said we can move to a third floor courtyard room. I took a look and it was dark with little privacy as it faces neighboring rooms so we would have to have the curtains closed. She also said she "can't guarantee neighbor noise if we moved room". While true, not a comment I'd expect from a 5-star hotel manager. We went out and when we returned, the neighbors werer still loud, this time with louder talking and stereo base going. I couldnt find the air control so I called and the bellman came up. He finally located one in another room. When he turned it on, the individual air unit above the bed made a very loud rattling and humming. Loud. Even the bellman said it shouldn't sound that way. He asked the duty manager to come up and she did. Same woman, the evening duty manager. She said that's how the individual air con sounds. Which doesn't seem right. I understand that air con hums. But really, not an air con that rattles loudly like something was loose or broken. Worst it wasn't a constant rattling and humming so that we can use it as white noise to drown out the neighbors. It turned on and off which made the rattling more disturbing. She heard the neigbors and stereo and said there's nothing she can do about it. Really, not what would be expected from a manager of a 5 star hotel. She explained that all the rooms facing St Stephens have the individual air con unit. And that the courtyard rooms are newer and have central air. She suggested I take the courtyard room on the third floor. I said I will and would like to check out the next day. At this point, she offered a one bedroom on the 6th floor for the rest of our stay. I was so put off about the noise, rattling air con, shabby furnishing, and how the night duty manager handled the situation that I declined the offer. We did move for one night and checked out the next morning. While the second room was better, we heard the kids and neighbors in the morning in our the second room. The walls are thin folks.

That said, I do have to give them credit for charging us only for the one night we stayed rather then the full four nights we had originally booked. (We did book a non-cancellable rate on their website.)

If you read my other reviews, I'm really not a hard to please traveler or a complainer. TA have helped me select quality accomodations that resulted in great trips throughout. This hotel just turned out to be a huge disappointment, especially as we timed our Ireland trip to celebrate my partner's birthday here. It's day and night if compared to it's sister property in Belfast. This hotel doesn't even compare to the inns we stayed at during this trip.

I just don't want to have fellow TA users to have the same disappointment and hassle we experienced as I contribute and rely on TA for my travels. Really, I wonder if I and the other reviewers stayed at different properties.

Room Tip: If you must, stay in the less pricey executive rooms that faces the courtyard. Newer with quieter c...
5  Thank ThuanMTran9
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Micahtran,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I regret that your experience did not live up to your expectations and to the positive reviews posted by other TripAdvisor members who have stayed with us.

Micahtran, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the review with you; should you wish to do so, please contact me directly at the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last weekend with my girlfriend. The staff in the hotel are extremely friendly and professional. The Concierge staff are a great asset to the hotel and I saw they way they interacted with other guests, nothing was too much for them. The hotel is in a great central location, jus 10 mins walk from o connell street and close so many good restaurants and trendy bars. Unfortunately the bar is not a 5 star standard. The menus are set in hard cardboard with visible tatters on the menus... I think the menus should be encased in soft leather. On the Friday night before we ate in Thortons we had a cocktail in the bar and there some type of "house or Dance music playing" I did not feel this was appropriate music. But again, very friendly staff with great location.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear John5840,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted you found the staff extremely friendly and professional and in particular the concierge team. I have passed your comments on to all the team as such feedback makes everyone's day.

The menus in the bar have been changed since your stay. Thank you for your feedback regarding the music in Thornton's; I have relayed it to the relevant managers.

John5840, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to the opportunity to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Lovely comfortable hotel. Staff extremely friendly and appeared to enjoy working at the hotel. As it was a special occassion the hotel (without requesting it) upgraded us. This was a lovely surprise and made the stay very special. Hotel is very central. I would without question reccomend this hotel.

Dear Smcsor M,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for your recommendation following your recent special occasion visit. I am really pleased you enjoyed your complimentary room upgrade.

I am delighted to read you found the staff friendly. I have passed your kind comments on to everyone as feedback such as yours makes everyone's day.

Smcsor M, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

such friendly staff! hallways are a little dim, but the rooms are amazing. they upgraded my room for free, without me even asking. front facing rooms can be a little loud on a saturday night, but excellent quality hotel. concierge was extremely knowledgeable and friendly, and gave tailored advice for my very short dublin trip!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Lauren D,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for your recommendation following your recent short visit. I am really pleased you enjoyed your complimentary upgraded room.

I am delighted to read you found the staff friendly and knowledgeable and in particular the Concierge team. I have passed your kind comments on to everyone as feedback such as yours makes everyone's day.

Lauren D, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to welcoming you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had a fantastic night away at this hotel. When I booked I mentioned on the reservation that it was our wedding anniversary. They upgraded our room and gave us lovely chocolates on check in. The room was gorgeous if a little small, valet parking for just €10 and location is amazing. I would highly recommend for a hassle free stay with high standards and very friendly staff.

Dear Jane M,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for your recommendation following your recent wedding anniversary visit to the city. I am delighted that you had a fantastic stay.

I was equally pleased to read you enjoyed the upgraded room, valet parking and central location of the hotel. It is great you found the team very friendly; I have passed you kind comments on to everyone as feedback such as yours makes everyone's day.

Jane M, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.