“5 Star hotel??” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Armagh, United Kingdom
“5 Star hotel??”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We have just returned from a night stay at Fitzwilliam hotel, really disappointed!! I would not rate this as a 5 star hotel. Concierge staff were very helpful on arrival taking care of our bag and parking our car. We had booked a superior room but I don't think it was superior, I even wondered had we been given the wrong room type by mistake. The room was tiny felt cramped don't even think it was a queen sized bed. As for the bathroom there were two tiles about to fall of the side of the bath. The house keeper arrived to do the turn down service at 6:30 did not even give me time to answer the door just barged in and said here handing me the chocolates!! So disappointed it was our wedding anniversary an thought I would book us a luxury hotel, do not feel that we got value for our money.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Donna2014788,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am pleased to read you found the concierge team very helpful on arrival.

I regret that the room did not live up to your expectations or mine. We have a full maintenance team and a standard in place that should ensure that no room is "available for a guest" if it is not perfectly maintained. Clearly this criteria was not met prior to your arrival.

Your feedback regarding turndown service have been noted and addressed with the relevant team members.

Donna20144788, I truly regret that your stay did not live up to either of our expectations and should you wish to discuss the matter in more detail with me, I would be delighted to speak with you.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We have just returned from a two night weekend stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Generally we were treated quite well and courteously by the staff and our deluxe premium room was clean and spacious. Only by reading other reviews do I now realise how big a problem the noise from the nightclub below must be. Unfortunately this overshadowed all the good points.

We stayed a Fri and Sat night, obviously busy for the club, and we're treated to thumping dance music late both nights. A patience-stretching 3:30am finish on the Sun a.m when the occupants spilled out onto the street below our window, who shouted, fought (and even got arrested) until well after 4am. I think some revellers were staying on our floor, lucky us, as loud conversations and lots of door banging went on in hallway for another half an hour. I think around 5ish I fell asleep for an hour or so until the days work began for the maids (who's store cupboard was beside our door). We were offered to move rooms at 1:30 am, which we declined as my husband had felt unwell for most of the evening and didn't want to get up and move rooms at that time, and we were told it should be over at around 2:30.

If there are quiet rooms available to move people to in the middle of the night, why aren't we put in them in the first place? It would seem to make sense to give guests and staff as little grief as possible in this seemingly ongoing situation. If you value your sleep as much as I do I would not recommend a weekend here, not sure if weeknights are as bad. We have returned home feeling extremely tired and dreading Monday morning!

Room Tip: Stay away from lower floors at the front of the hotel, unless you're an all night clubber! (Our...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sbruce72
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear sbruce72,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your deluxe premium room and the courteous service you received fro the team.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise unreservedly for the noise disturbance you experienced from a neighbouring business. There is a strict agreement in place to ensure that noise from this club does not reach a level that it impacts on our guests; clearly this agreement was breached on the Saturday night you refer to. The matter is being addressed at the highest levels as our key priority is to ensure that all our guests receive a good night's sleep.

sbruce72, I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss this matter in more detail.

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Great hotel in a great location! Staff is amazing! We approached the front desk just to ask if all rooms and beds were the same size as we got a queen size and my husband is super tall and Joanna took it upon herself to move us to a king size bed room free of charge! She went above and beyond and we were not really requesting an upgrade but just asking! Will definitely come back and recommend this hotel!

Dear Ana P,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really pleased you enjoyed the central location of the hotel.

I am delighted that you encountered amazing staff and in particular Joanna, who provided you with a room that met your requirements. . I have passed your kind comments on to all the team, as such feedback makes everyone's day!

Ana P, thank you so much for the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam in the near future.

Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Perfection in every area at this hotel. From the moment of arriving to be met by concierge who took charge of luggage, the reception very professional and helpful. The room, on fifth floor excellent situated facing courtyard. Chambermaid very good, one of the many behind the scenes staff who contribute to this hotels excellence and finally the breakfast area managed most professional and efficiently by staff.

An altogether excellent stay made most enjoyable by all staff concerned.

Room Tip: Rooms facing courtyard.
1 Thank 1939northeast
Dear 1939northeast,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and found perfection in every area of the hotel.

I am equally pleased to read you found the team friendly, efficient and professional. I have passed your kind comments on to everyone, as such feedback makes everyone's day!

1939northeast, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to the opportunity to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We only stayed one night at the Fitzwilliam on a mid-April weekend in a 5th floor room facing the back court yard. From the minute we arrived outside the door of the hotel, bags in hand, we were helped by attentive, engaging and professional staff. It had been a long day traveling so being relieved of all concerns immediately upon entering was much appreciated. Standard but adequate size room for a downtown hotel with very comfortable queen bed and lovely, well equipped shower/ bath. It was quiet as well for sleeping. Breakfast offered a huge selection and abundance of food. They also kept our luggage in storage while we visited Dublin the next day. For its convenience, well trained and professional staff and for its comfort, we are very happy to have chosen this hotel. All downtown Dublin hotels are pricey and this is no exception. I give it a 4-star only because of the briefness of our visit. Otherwise, wonderful place to stay in Dublin.

Dear Janier22,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much, from the moment you arrived to when you collected your luggage after your day exploring the city.

I was particularly pleased to read you found the team attentive, engaging and professional. I have passed your kind comments on to everyone, as such feedback makes everyone's day!

Janier22, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam for a longer and more leisurely stay.

Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Extremely Disappointed. Ordered food in the bar that took ages to come. The experience was like Faulty Towers, saw one guest open his own bottle of wine as bar man was unable to open it. Other guests did not receive expresso after asking for them three times. Don't know how this is a five star hotel

4 Thank Pat C
Dear Pat C,

There are many aspects of a hotel, other than it's bar, that go towards a five star rating. I note that you have made no reference to other hotel, facilities, such as guest room; therefore it is unclear from your review whether or not you were resident in the hotel and had an opportunity to experience the hotel in it's entirety.

However, it is clear from your feedback that your meal experience in the bar did not live up to your expectations and I would like to extend my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced. Should you wish to discus the matter in further detail, I would be delighted to speak with you.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Wonderful hotel,Excellent staff. Our stay was enjoyable from start to finish. From our daughter coming home to an Easter egg on her bed to the bar staff making her her own apple martinis. Staff couldn't have been more attentive to all our needs we couldn't have asked for more. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Carolyn C,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay so much. I have taken the liberty of passing on your wonderful feedback to all the team, as such comments make everyone's day.

Carolyn C, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Fitzwilliam.