“Central and high quality.”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #19 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 May 2014

All in all a very good night in a hotel: Very central, great staff, spacious and clean rooms.

Breakfast not included in normal room price, had it anyway, it was ok, not great.

Point for improvement:
A bit of a queue on check-out, which is always annoying.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Familyguy4fun,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am glad that you had a very good night's stay with us and that you found your room spacious and clean. I am really pleased that the team provided great service.

I am sorry that you experienced a bit of a queue on check-out; we have an express check-out facility with allows you to avoiding any queuing and to depart without delay.

I have noted your comments regarding breakfast and I would greatly appreciate some more detailed feedback.

Familyguy4fun, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

There are newer reviews for Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Just returned from a three-night (May 4-6) stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel in Dublin. It's located in the heart of Dublin, just across the street from St. Stephen's Green - up from Grafton street. We (my wife and me) came to the Fitzwilliam after spending three days on tour, arriving mid-day on Sunday. We were greeted by Cora Caples, Service Manager, who took another of our group to her room personally. She told us our room was not ready yet, so come to the bar and have some tea and talk. When our room was ready in half-hour she escorted to our room, showed us all - AC controls, lights, TV, Wi-Fi, mini-bar, safe, etc. She was our first of many delights at the Fitzwilliam. The room was very good - clean and quiet. The costs reasonable for the room and location.

The next morning my wife and I came to downstairs to find that a hot breakfast was included with our room stay. Two of the waiters, Peter and Olesea did an outstanding job on service refilling our coffee/tea, bringing toast while it was still hot, checking in often to see if there was anything else we wanted. We were so impressed with the service (unlike a recent experience in the US) I talked to the department manager, Ivan, telling him about the excellent service and quality of the food. He asked us where we were from, had we been to Dublin, where else had we stayed. In our discussion he found that we had an early (5:30AM) cab ride to the airport and arranged breakfast to-go, three hard-boiled eggs, rolls, two sandwiches, and two bottles of water. That all arrived on time the day we left.

We arranged with the Dublin visitor center to have two tickets for a Dublin Green bus tour sent to us at the Fitzwilliam, on Sunday, but only one ticket arrived. It was a Sunday so no one answered the phone at the tourist office. We then spoke to concierge, Tony, who said "no worries" I'll call them tomorrow to get your tickets. He was not able to get them (Monday was a bank holiday), but he got us Dublin Red tour bus tickets and we were off for the day as planned with no delay.

We were also trying to see a play while staying in Dublin, so asked Patrick (the other concierge) and Tony if they could arrange two tickets. The next day they had good news - two tickets in the best seats in the house had been arranged. They also booked a cab for our airport trip.

So our first experience a the Fitzwilliam was excellent! Excellent location, room, and staff. They all went beyond what we expected to make us happy with the hotel.

Ross.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor which was quiet and a quick trip on the lift.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Alice & Ross,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really delighted to read both of you enjoyed your stay so much. I was a pleasure to meet both of you and spend some time chatting with you. I am so pleased that you managed to complete all the sightseeing you planned and that you have an opportunity to see the play you so wanted to go to.

I am delighted that all the team members you encountered went beyond your expectations in terms of the service you received from them. I have passed your kind comments on to everyone and in particular those you have named; such feedback makes everyone's efforts so worthwhile!

Alice & Ross, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to the opportunity to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I booked this hotel for a HS graduation trip for a niece, so we would be close to shopping and other activities in Dublin. It couldn't have worked out better. We were steps away from Grafton Street and shopping; great food; theater; park and more.

Every room is wonderfully designed by Sir Terence Conran and perhaps was one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed in -- largely due to serene park/grassy views.

Although we didn't stick around much to use the hotels restaurants, we found the service to be warm, friendly and with great suggestions. You feel a little like home. And one of the doormen even hugged us goodbye. What more could you want?

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Pjhan,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel; it certainly makes exploring the city exceptionally easy.

I am delighted that you encountered warm friendly service from the team and that they provided you with great suggestions. I have passed you kind comments on to everyone as such feedback makes everyone's day.

Pjhahn, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Our stay at the Fitzwilliam was very nice; overall I can't complain about the hotel which was extremely modern and beautifully appointed. They seemed under-staffed during our stay with them which caused some delays with the concierge and check in process. The hotel is extremely convenient and provides a great central location to all sites in Dublin. There were just a few things missing to make this an outstanding 5 star experience in my opinion and that simply may be a mismatch in expectations on my part. My minor complaints were simply that there was nothing special that stood out to welcome guests upon arrival or a desire to go above and beyond on the service front. The corridors were long and dark, the rooms were fairly narrow (though fine for the few days we stayed there). Overall though great location, extremely clean and modern chic hotel, just not quite in the world class 5 star level. Solid 4 stars though and definitely worth a stay at the right price.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Nicola C,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel and the quality and cleanliness of the rooms.

I am sorry that you experienced some delays at concierge and check-in and that our service levels did not exceed your expectations. It is not clear from your review what time you arrived. We fully staff all areas to meet business needs. However at peak times, even with full staffing, occasional delays can occur.

Nicola C, when your travels next bring you to Dublin I would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam so that you can experience the levels of exceptional service that our guests regularly comment on. Please feel free to contact me directly I would be delighted to personally deal with your reservation.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here at the start of May.
I have experienced other 5* hotels in Dublin and have to say that the Fitzwilliam is not near on par with them. Its more akin to an average four star hotel.
I ordered room service at approximately 02:30 asking for a ham sandwich only to be told that "We've no ham !" ok how about a cheese sandwich ? Nah sorry mate...no cheese. so what have you got. I can give you chicken. Now a chicken sandwich should be fairly straight forward but it still took 40 minutes to get it. I thought being a 5* hotel butter would be included in the price of a sandwich however I was wrong, Two pieces of dry bread and a few "lumps" of chicken constitute a sandwich here apparently ! -
Two glasses of milk and a miserable chicken sandwich I found myself relived to the tune of €18.50. Seriously ! 5* prices for a 2* service.
Would I recommend the Fitzwilliam......
The location is excellent however, It shouldn't be a 5* and when compared with the competition. it falls far behind.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Madmax25000,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. It is clear from your review that your room service experience did not live up to your or my expectations. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for such an inexcusable experience.

Madmax25000 I would greatly appreciate you contacting me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss this matter in more detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed in this lovely hotel for 5 days just before Easter this year with my sister. The staff were fantastic especially the boys on the concierge desk, they deserve a big pat on the back, nothing was too much trouble and their advise on where to eat/drink or what it see never missed the mark. Beautiful rooms and the location is great, right near the shops and pubs, everything within walking distance. Loved this place and would stay here again. Lisa and Karen Bermingham

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lisa and Karen,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city and for your recommendation. I am delighted that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel. I am equally pleased that you enjoyed the service you received from the staff, in particular the concierge team. I have passed your kind comments on to everyone as such feedback makes everyone's day!

Lisa and Karen, we look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam in the very near future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I choose this Hotel because of the wonderful reviews I read on Tripadvisor. Oh boy, I was NOT disappointed at all. The Hotel is literally in the center of all the action that Dublin Center City has to offer. All the best restaurants, shopping and site seeing opportunities are right outside their doors. And, they are about 50 feet away from St Stephen's Green. Dublin's very own Central Park.
As for the Hotel, the second we walked through the doors we were treated like VIPs. We arrived very early in the morning (around 6:30am) and they had a room available for an early check-in (and, without charge)! That is unheard of in all my travels. After taking a nap, The concierge, Marsin, completely planned my entire 2 days in Dublin and it was amazing! I'd also like to commend Jarko who made sure our stay was everything we could ask for. For, Jarko went above and beyond daily to meet our every need. I recommend the FitzWilliam

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mark M,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city and for your recommendation. I am delighted that you enjoyed the location and the service you received from the team, in particular Marcin and Jarrko. I have passed your kind comments on to everyone as such feedback makes everyone's day!

Mark M, we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to The Fitzwilliam in the very near future.