“Terrific Hotel & Service”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Alexandria, Virginia
“Terrific Hotel & Service”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Was on a business trip with a colleague and we loved this hotel. Wonderful service - from the front desk, to the concierge, to the cleaning staff, bar and finally at the restaurant. The rooms are smaller than the usual American hotel rooms, but it has all the amenities (shampoo, conditioner, nice towels and soaps). The staff even loaned us a converter for our powerful hairdryer and curling iron as we brought the wrong ones! The evening concierge gave us a wonderful recommendation for local places to eat (and he was spot on). The hotel is centrally located and across the street from Trinity College. We paid a bit extra upfront and online to get a daily hot breakfast (the usual pastries, fruit, yogurt plus wonderful Irish sausage or bacon and eggs) - so glad we did as it made our mornings much easier. Dublin is such a walkable city - we were next to Grafton Street and the hip fun Temple Bar area. We didn't need public transportation as we just walked everywhere. The hotel even has free loaner umbrellas!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Sile354,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the hotel so much from the wonderful service you received to the room facilities and the location.

I am really pleased you enjoyed the recommendations of the concierge team and I have passed you kind comment on to them.

We believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I am delighted that you enjoyed the variety and quality of items available.

Sile365, when business or leisure next brings you to Dublin, we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We found this hotel has a great location with very friendly staff with the Concierge standing out.
The room was a little disappointing for the price, we found the room was very warm and small,
when you turned on the air conditioning it was very noisy. Bathroom was small with a shower in the bath. Shower gel and Shampoo could be better quality and the hotel could do with been
a little more generous with same. The Bar in the hotel is very nice and we were given a voucher on check in for a free cocktail, this was very thoughtful and kind. The lobby area is a little worn especially the leather seats which need attention. Overall great location, room a little small but the
staff are very helpful and are always willing to help.

Room Tip: Ask for a decent size room as they could not be all as small as the room we got.
1 Thank damian044
Dear Damian044,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really pleased you found the team very friendly and helpful, in particular the concierge team.

I am sorry that your room did not meet your expectations; we have several room types and sizes available and we would be delighted to discuss the various, more spacious options available to you. I have noted your comments regarding the bathroom amenities.

We have an on-going programme of maintenance and our lobby chairs are scheduled for replacement over the coming month.

I am delighted you had an opportunity to have a drink in the bar and that you found the team friendly and helpful.

Damian044, we look forward to the opportunity to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam in the very near future.

Oslo
Reviewed 9 May 2014

All in all a very good night in a hotel: Very central, great staff, spacious and clean rooms.

Breakfast not included in normal room price, had it anyway, it was ok, not great.

Point for improvement:
A bit of a queue on check-out, which is always annoying.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Familyguy4fun,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am glad that you had a very good night's stay with us and that you found your room spacious and clean. I am really pleased that the team provided great service.

I am sorry that you experienced a bit of a queue on check-out; we have an express check-out facility with allows you to avoiding any queuing and to depart without delay.

I have noted your comments regarding breakfast and I would greatly appreciate some more detailed feedback.

Familyguy4fun, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Just returned from a three-night (May 4-6) stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel in Dublin. It's located in the heart of Dublin, just across the street from St. Stephen's Green - up from Grafton street. We (my wife and me) came to the Fitzwilliam after spending three days on tour, arriving mid-day on Sunday. We were greeted by Cora Caples, Service Manager, who took another of our group to her room personally. She told us our room was not ready yet, so come to the bar and have some tea and talk. When our room was ready in half-hour she escorted to our room, showed us all - AC controls, lights, TV, Wi-Fi, mini-bar, safe, etc. She was our first of many delights at the Fitzwilliam. The room was very good - clean and quiet. The costs reasonable for the room and location.

The next morning my wife and I came to downstairs to find that a hot breakfast was included with our room stay. Two of the waiters, Peter and Olesea did an outstanding job on service refilling our coffee/tea, bringing toast while it was still hot, checking in often to see if there was anything else we wanted. We were so impressed with the service (unlike a recent experience in the US) I talked to the department manager, Ivan, telling him about the excellent service and quality of the food. He asked us where we were from, had we been to Dublin, where else had we stayed. In our discussion he found that we had an early (5:30AM) cab ride to the airport and arranged breakfast to-go, three hard-boiled eggs, rolls, two sandwiches, and two bottles of water. That all arrived on time the day we left.

We arranged with the Dublin visitor center to have two tickets for a Dublin Green bus tour sent to us at the Fitzwilliam, on Sunday, but only one ticket arrived. It was a Sunday so no one answered the phone at the tourist office. We then spoke to concierge, Tony, who said "no worries" I'll call them tomorrow to get your tickets. He was not able to get them (Monday was a bank holiday), but he got us Dublin Red tour bus tickets and we were off for the day as planned with no delay.

We were also trying to see a play while staying in Dublin, so asked Patrick (the other concierge) and Tony if they could arrange two tickets. The next day they had good news - two tickets in the best seats in the house had been arranged. They also booked a cab for our airport trip.

So our first experience a the Fitzwilliam was excellent! Excellent location, room, and staff. They all went beyond what we expected to make us happy with the hotel.

Ross.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor which was quiet and a quick trip on the lift.
Dear Alice & Ross,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really delighted to read both of you enjoyed your stay so much. I was a pleasure to meet both of you and spend some time chatting with you. I am so pleased that you managed to complete all the sightseeing you planned and that you have an opportunity to see the play you so wanted to go to.

I am delighted that all the team members you encountered went beyond your expectations in terms of the service you received from them. I have passed your kind comments on to everyone and in particular those you have named; such feedback makes everyone's efforts so worthwhile!

Alice & Ross, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to the opportunity to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Clinton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I booked this hotel for a HS graduation trip for a niece, so we would be close to shopping and other activities in Dublin. It couldn't have worked out better. We were steps away from Grafton Street and shopping; great food; theater; park and more.

Every room is wonderfully designed by Sir Terence Conran and perhaps was one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed in -- largely due to serene park/grassy views.

Although we didn't stick around much to use the hotels restaurants, we found the service to be warm, friendly and with great suggestions. You feel a little like home. And one of the doormen even hugged us goodbye. What more could you want?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Pjhan,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel; it certainly makes exploring the city exceptionally easy.

I am delighted that you encountered warm friendly service from the team and that they provided you with great suggestions. I have passed you kind comments on to everyone as such feedback makes everyone's day.

Pjhahn, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Foster City, California
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Our stay at the Fitzwilliam was very nice; overall I can't complain about the hotel which was extremely modern and beautifully appointed. They seemed under-staffed during our stay with them which caused some delays with the concierge and check in process. The hotel is extremely convenient and provides a great central location to all sites in Dublin. There were just a few things missing to make this an outstanding 5 star experience in my opinion and that simply may be a mismatch in expectations on my part. My minor complaints were simply that there was nothing special that stood out to welcome guests upon arrival or a desire to go above and beyond on the service front. The corridors were long and dark, the rooms were fairly narrow (though fine for the few days we stayed there). Overall though great location, extremely clean and modern chic hotel, just not quite in the world class 5 star level. Solid 4 stars though and definitely worth a stay at the right price.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Nicola C,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel and the quality and cleanliness of the rooms.

I am sorry that you experienced some delays at concierge and check-in and that our service levels did not exceed your expectations. It is not clear from your review what time you arrived. We fully staff all areas to meet business needs. However at peak times, even with full staffing, occasional delays can occur.

Nicola C, when your travels next bring you to Dublin I would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam so that you can experience the levels of exceptional service that our guests regularly comment on. Please feel free to contact me directly I would be delighted to personally deal with your reservation.

Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here at the start of May.
I have experienced other 5* hotels in Dublin and have to say that the Fitzwilliam is not near on par with them. Its more akin to an average four star hotel.
I ordered room service at approximately 02:30 asking for a ham sandwich only to be told that "We've no ham !" ok how about a cheese sandwich ? Nah sorry mate...no cheese. so what have you got. I can give you chicken. Now a chicken sandwich should be fairly straight forward but it still took 40 minutes to get it. I thought being a 5* hotel butter would be included in the price of a sandwich however I was wrong, Two pieces of dry bread and a few "lumps" of chicken constitute a sandwich here apparently ! -
Two glasses of milk and a miserable chicken sandwich I found myself relived to the tune of €18.50. Seriously ! 5* prices for a 2* service.
Would I recommend the Fitzwilliam......
The location is excellent however, It shouldn't be a 5* and when compared with the competition. it falls far behind.

Dear Madmax25000,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. It is clear from your review that your room service experience did not live up to your or my expectations. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for such an inexcusable experience.

Madmax25000 I would greatly appreciate you contacting me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss this matter in more detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.