Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #16 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Whilst the hotel room experience is very good - there are some very dissatisfying and disappointing elements that will stay with me, and outshine the quality of service and general amenities.

4 things annoyed me:
1. When I arrived into my room - I needed to borrow a charger for my iPhone - and whilst the concierge handled everything perfectly - there was no way I could keep my phone with me (very frustrating - as I was expecting a call which I need to take) - and therefore I had to leave my phone downstairs with the desk. I would suggest the hotel take some time to (a) increase budget on purchasing more phone charges in case of emergency for guests or (b) change the process on the limited amount they have - whereby a guest could leave €20 with the desk whilst they re-charge their phone for 30 minutes.

2. Breakfast was very disappointing. It looked good from afar - but turned out that everything was overcooked and dry

3. Upon check out (only!) I was advised via my bill that there was a €10 charge for parking my car in the hotel car park! I have never heard of this in my entire life - especially for a hotel who claims to have a high level of service. Not only that - but upon departure... it turns out that the overnight charge to the public is LESS THAN €10.

4. And the final gripe I would have unfortunately is that there is NO area in the hotel where smokers can enjoy their cigarette/cigar except for direction outside the entrance of the hotel - which is a very busy thoroughfare - and requires long trips from your hotel room, into the lift and through the lobby to undertake.

Outside of those items - the quality of the amenities and the service from staff was very good - but when paying a high price for a stay - that should be standard. The other items are what I am left putting me off staying in the Fitzwilliam again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annemarie R
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Annemarie R,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted to read you found your room experience, the quality of service and amenities good.

We carry an ample stock of phone chargers and always retain one charger of each type at the concierge desk, to ensure that we are always able to accommodate "phone charging" requests. I am sorry that at the time of your request all other chargers were in use by other hotel guests and that we were only able to offer you a charging facility at the concierge desk.

Your comments regarding breakfast have been noted and fully addressed.

Within any city centre, parking space is limited and at a premium. The hourly rate in our car park is €2.90 per hour; however as we value all our hotel residents, we charge a preferential rate of €10.00 per twenty-four period. This compares very favourably against other city centre hotels that are charging €20-25 per twenty-four hour period. The overnight rate you refer to is €8.00 and is only valid for vehicles that enter the car park after 7pm and depart prior to 8am the following morning. When a ticket is "validated", our system is set up to ensure that if a hotel guest arrives within those hours, only €8.00 is charged.

We have a number of rooms that are available for our smoking guests, which eliminates the necessity to smoke outside the front of the hotel. It is not clear from your review if you requested a smoking room at the time of booking or indeed at check-in. Had we been made aware we would have been delighted to allocate a smoking room to you.

Annemarie R, should your travels bring you to Dublin we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,818)

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I heard many good things but finding ourselves in a small room on the 6th floor , which has no lift access, made me feel like a second class customer. The furniture needs updating and having curtains that fit would be good. Decisive reception staff who know the locality would help. Overall a disappointment for the money

• Stayed: June 2014
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Jobojek,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to Dublin. I regret that your stay did not live up to your expectations. Our 6th floor is a semi-private floor and hence the access via a short staircase; our intention would never be to make any guest feel like a second class customer.

I have noted your feedback regarding the furniture and curtains. I would greatly appreciate more detail on "decisive reception staff", so that I can effectively address your comments. If you could contact me directly at the hotel, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jobojek, I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is my second trip to Dublin, and the second hotel I have stayed in -- and it will be the ONLY hotel I choose in the future. Quality of the hotel, rooms, food, wireless, and service are all top notch. However, I cannot overemphasize the excellent and friendly service we received from all employees which was outstanding and sometimes unexpected! A doorman even asked to take our garbage for us as we were entering the hotel one day after touring! Every server in the restaurant and room service was friendly, and we especially loved the superb helpfulness and friendliness from the concierges. We did have a question about were to get water as the hotel does not provide an in-house store to buy water or incidentals; however, a bottle of free water is available every day and hotel is close to many other shops and venues. Speaking of location -- we were especially pleased with how close we were to many of the sights and how it was not on a busy congested traffic street. I rate the hotel 5 stars and would come back tomorrow if I could!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Teacher7-Sue,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to Dublin and for your recommendation. I am really pleased to read you enjoyed the quality of the hotel, rooms and service.

I am delighted that you found the service friendly, excellent and unexpected! I have passed your kind feedback on to all the team and in particular the concierge team, as such feedback makes everyone's day.

Teracher7-Sue, we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to The Fitzwilliam in the very near future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had a meal last week at the Citron Restaurant. It was the first day of the summer menu. We had been here before, so we had high expectations. It definitely did not disappoint. It was obvious that a lot of work had gone into each of the dishes...
Crab for starter, Duck for mains and Chocolate pannacotta for dessert.
Each one was really delicious and a lovely combination of tastes and flavours. The staff were efficient and friendly. If you manage to get one of the vouchers that come online now and again , you will get excellent value for money. An excellent meal !!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moloney_liz
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Ms Moloney

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review Citron following your recent visit to the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal and our new summer menu. I was equally pleased to read you found the restaurant team friendly and efficient. I have passed your kind comments on to the restaurant and kitchen teams, as such feedback makes everyone's day!

Ms Moloney, we look forward to welcoming you back to Citron in the very near future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here on business, really elegant Hotel. Rooms are well equipped for a business traveler & spacious considering city location. Hotel is very well positioned / located. Food was good although breakfast was very 'basic' and for the price & 5 star rating you would expect a bit more

Only grumble was trying to check out , long ques , 2 desk clerks and staff milling around rtaher than helping customers pay & get going

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Richard G,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted you enjoyed the spaciousness of the room and the location of the hotel. I regret that the breakfast offering did not meet your expectations; we have a full cold buffet and an a la carte hot breakfast menu. We constantly review our menus and all suggestions are most welcome.

We provide an express check-out facility for all guests and in particular our business travellers; this eliminates any queuing at peak times for guests wishing to depart quickly. I am sorry that, on this occasion, your departure was delayed.

Richard G, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just had a lovely three night stay and have to say that we were treated exceptionally well. The person who checked us in actually took us to our room and was most helpful showing us how everything worked. Location was excellent within walking distance of many good restaurants and the theatre. We would definitely return to this hotel when we're back in Dublin.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Lorraine S,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city and for your recommendation.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your three -night break so much and that you found the team most helpful. I have passed your kind comments on to all the team and in particular reception, as such feedback makes everyone's day.

Lorraine S, we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to The Fitzwilliam in the very near future.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We usually have a pre dinner cocktail here and last night was no exception. Thankfully Peter was on duty as both himself and Alex make superb cocktails! They both provide excellent customer service and are truly excellent at their job! I usually opt for a Patron Margarita and my husband has a half and half manhattan on the rocks, no simple syrup or cheep booze here, pure alcohol. Totally recommend it for drinks!

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Molly11Dec

Dear Valhalla7273,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review Inn on the Green, following your most recent visit to the hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your pre-dinner cocktails; Peter and Alex certainly know how to make a good cocktail and they are always creating new ones. I have passed your kind comments on to both as such feedback makes everyone's day!

Valhalla7273, on behalf of all the team and in particular the bar team, we look forward to welcoming both of you back in the very near future.