“Good but pricey” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Marlow, England
“Good but pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

Great location right in the centre of Dublin, adjacent to shopping, trams and park. Maybe the recent depreciation of sterling but found the hotel very expensive - 25 Euros for an albeit excellent full Irish breakfast was a bit steep on top of an already high room only rate. Sevice was friendly and excellent although lack of hot water from my sink tap was rather a surprise in the morning!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Turkish first
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2009

My husband and I spent 4 days at the Fitzwilliam Hotel between Christmas and the New Year 26th – 30th. We always stay in Dublin at this time of the year to relax after Christmas and check out the sales for some bargains. Last year we stayed at the Shelbourne and it was absolutely flawless. We were tempted to return there on this occasion, however we do like to experience other hotels and the location of the Fitzwilliam really appealed to me. When I shop – I shop, and the luxury of being able to return back to your hotel with your purchases at regular interval during the day was a major plus. So let’s begin with the pros:

• Superb location (for those of us who like to spend time on Grafton Street)
• Large spacious room (this was expected as I booked one of their best rooms and paid extra)
• Fresh orchids in the room (nice touch)
• Good breakfast

Cons:

• Poorly trained staff with zero customer service skills – Apart from the very pleasant young lady who checked us in and showed us to our room, the rest of the staff that we encountered were most unhelpful and ‘distant’. I don’t know if this was because all the ‘tenured’ staff were on holiday, however in my opinion there is no excuse for poor customer service at any time.
Whilst walking down the corridor to our room, we could hear this loud noise which sounded like a generator of some sort. We were soon to find out that this was right outside our bedroom door! We assumed that this would not be heard in the room and on entering the room there was music playing in the background. When the young lady who showed us to our room left, I turned off the music and we then realized that the noise we heard outside the room could also be heard in the room. We immediately headed back down to reception to request a different room (the lady who checked us in had told us that the hotel was practically empty). Here we were met by a guy from Chicago whose name escapes me. I told him about the noise and without looking at me he told me, I quote “Wow, you’re the first person ever to complain about this in the four years that I’ve been working here”……. I immediately thought to myself – what an outrageous thing to say to a customer. As it happens, I am a Director of Customer Service for a large Global company, and this type of attitude to any customer is totally unacceptable. Instead of empathizing with me, listening to my problem and offering a solution, he immediately got his back up (and mine!) and labeled me as a ‘Complainer”. I did not even get a chance to complain! I simply advised him of the noise! I then asked him if he could possibly move me and his response was “I sure can, but you won’t get as nice a room”. Again, a totally unacceptable response. Why should I not get a similar room – it was 26th December and the hotel was empty. To be honest, I was really in shock with this guys response and he then said to me “So, do you want to move or not?”. I asked him to show us the room that he was offering and he took us there; and wait for it – IT WAS 2 ROOMS DOWN FROM OUR ORIGINAL ONE!! The room was much smaller, less natural light and the noise from the generator could still be heard. We declined his offer of this room, and told him that we would stay where we are and see how we got on. He didn’t seem to care either way and told us that if we changed our minds to let him know. He was possibly the most arrogant, obnoxious person I have ever come across in this line of business.
We returned to our room, turned up the music and decided to check out the following morning if the noise interfered with our sleep.
• The bar – lacked atmosphere and the staff were the coldest bunch I have ever met. We sat at the bar on our first evening along with 2 or 3 other couples. The rest of the bar was empty. There were 3 staff on duty and all of them had the exact same manner. You could not possible recruit 3 more similar people (attitude wise) if you tried. It was like as if there was a brick wall between us (the customers) and them. They would not make eye contact, and they did not offer to serve you even though we sat at the bar. When you did call them for a drink they put the drink on their side of the bar so that you had to stretch in to get it, and finally when they gave you your change, again this was put on their side of the counter. We had 1 drink and sat with empty glasses for 20 minutes testing them to see if they would offer us a refill!!! They never made eye contact or approached us. So we left and went across to the Shelbourne where we spent the next 3 evenings.

What a shame that the Fitzwilliam has got it so wrong with some of their staff. In this current economic climate, they can ill-afford to upset their customers and send them over to their competitors for evening drinks and meals. I did try to speak to a Manager whilst there, and I was told that there was nobody available as they were all on holidays. With regards to our room, when we returned that evening, there was a voice message from ‘Chicago boy’ telling us that the noise was coming from an NTL generator which is located in the room adjoining our room and hopefully it should go off later in the night!! It never went off and as annoying as it was, we did not move out the following morning (put it down to laziness!), and instead invested in some ear-plugs which worked remarkably well. However, we should not have had to invest in ear-plugs and neither should I have to be writing this review. The ‘Chicago boy’ could have sorted this simple problem out there and then had he wanted to. Clearly he didn’t and as a result, I will never return to the Fitzwilliam again and some friends of mine who were booked in there in March have since cancelled and will now stay at the Shelbourne instead……..

Give it a miss – there are too many other hotels in Dublin where your custom will be appreciated more.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — some of the staff
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank ITALIA1234
Donegal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights over the new year. Check in was quick and friendly and our room was clean and very compact. We had a room overlooking the Green, and settled in for a nice 3 night break. The hotel is very lacking in atmosphere, the bar was for the most part, very quiet and lacking in a certain something. The cocktails were good, but no where near as good as the Westbury or Dylan. Breakfast was a noisy affair, with lots of noise from early morning from the accomodation staff outside. On one occassion, even though we had a do not disturb sign outside, we were telephoned several times to ask could we return our tray, even though we were not finished. The room service was swift, but for the price, (and I never care when I am on holiday about the price) was not 5* quality. I asked on one occassion as I do in many 5* hotels if I could request something off the menu, in this case, a ham sandwich, and I was told they did not have any ham! This has never happened to me in a 5* hotel, you get what you want for a price of course. The locatio could not be more central, but I feel that when paying for a room here, you are getting a 5* location and a 3* hotel ! One small gripe is that we were supposed to have a dvd player and we clearly did not. Another reviewer mentioned that they had a great suprise at the level of the attention their partner received for their birthday and even though my partner mentioned that we wished to take a good room as it was my birthday, we did not even get as much as a happy birthday! (A very different experience from the service and gfit we received in the G Hotel on a previous occassion. This is a clean, hassle free hotel with a great location, if however, like me you like luxury and going that extra mile, book the 4 Seasons or the Dylan.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The Noise inside the hotel (corridors in the morning)
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robert78
antrim
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

Stayed 2 nights in The Fitzwilliam Hotel early December for a pre Christmas break. The hotel is very central on St Stephens Green and within walking distance to all major attractions.
The room was excellent with the most comfortable bed and pillows I have ever enjoyed. There were fresh orchids in the room and en suite - nice touch! Brilliant over sized bath tub and pressure shower with very nice cosmetics, fluffy robes and slippers.
Loved the whole experience and would highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a special treat. The only negative was I thought the spa prices were a bit steep but then again it is central Dublin!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Price of spa treatments
1 Thank boyce5Antrim
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2009

We decided to stay in Dublin city for New Year's Eve. We rang reservations at midday on the 31st and booked in.

I loved the hotel - the location is amazing right at the top of Grafton Street - so it's great for strolling around or shopping.

We had a room overlooking the St Stephen's Green which was lovely. Yes the rooms are quite small but the decor is nice and the bathroom was spotless.

I thought the staff were excellent - everyone we spoke to was very friendly.

The bar is a nice place to start the evening - it is a bit dear but there is a nice atmosphere there. We had breakfast included in our rate - it was nice there was a good selection and the bread was really fresh. I would recommend this hotel and hope to stay there again!

Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2008

Difficult to find, disorganised parking arrangements - no offer from hotel to park or collect.
Rooms smaller than expected from a 5* hotel.
Grilled kipper was fried! And service slow even tho not busy.
Otherwise staff pleasant enough and helpful - albeit short on the ground. Had to wait 10 minutes for a concierge to return car key.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cramped
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2008

The Fitzwilliam is a very nice hotel in a good location right across from St. Stephens Green.

Our room was very nice and roomy with a view of the Green. The staff were extremely helpful and they were able to honor our request for an early check-in - our flight arrived at 7:30 AM.

We would certainly stay here again.

• Liked — The service and location
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple