“Great hotel, great location, not inexpensive”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #16 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 June 2009

My wife and I traveled to Europe with our 16 year old daughter in late May. Dublin was the first stop in a ten day trip and I wanted to find a hotel that provided a situation where we could get a good start and recover from our jet lag in comfort.

We stayed in an executive room with an attached lounge. Both rooms were spacious - and thankfully each had their own door as well as flat screen TVs. The doors to each room opened to a shared foyer connecting to a large bathroom. It really was the perfect situation. The room was quiet, on the upper floor. It had a view of a courtyard, but the view was not memorable and probably not exceptional. The location could not be better.

The best part for me was the breakfast. Lots of options, lots of fresh fruits and juices, and of course the Irish sausages and grilled tomatoes. The only downside was the lack of soda bread - which I love, but seemed to have more trouble finding on this trip. Breakfast was included in our room rate. (I think it would have been 24 euros otherwise - it's not worth 24 euros).

On the downside, we had to wait almost an hour past check in time before our room was ready. It could have been the hotel's fault, but I'll forever blame Beyonce's road crew who had stayed the previous night. As we sat in the lobby, the crew drifted down to check out. Dressed in the all black concert regalia of their previous campaigns, they didn't seem like people who spent a lot of time worrying about check out times. I'm just glad they all found something to do after Tower records closed.

The reception staff was apologetic, but offered no recompense. Though, somehow I think we got even as my daughter, asleep and snoring in their fancy lobby, was now drooling on their chair. My wife, though still vertical, was asleep, but could easily have taken for dead by a casual observer. Probably not the best first impression for customers of a five star hotel.

Though a nice hotel, I now wonder if it was just too much. Given the state of the Irish economy, the hotel is certainly pricey. And in a way I regret that this was the first exposure our daughter had to European travel. I didn't get to Europe until I was well into my twenties and for the first few trips I stayed in scary hotels or on the couches or floors of friends. For our daughter, her first trip was a much different experience. Seeing her close the door to her private room wrapped in a fluffy Fitzwilliam robe, I wondered if it was all just wrong.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank MrMichael_Chicago
Write a ReviewReviews (2,821)

Reviewed 5 June 2009

We are a family of 5 who stayed at the Fitzwilliam’s for 2 nights and were supposed to stay for another night before going back to our home.

First of all let me point out that my experience with this hotel started very well since the reservation manager, Mr John Kelly did his utmost to help me with good suggestions about rooms and rates.
Let me also point out that I am usually a very enthusiastic client and rarely complain about a hotel, unless I really MUST.
This time I MUST tell you why I WILL NEVER GO BACK to a place like the Fitzwilliam.

The location is just perfect and all the other reviews can just confirm this: very close to GRAFTON Street, ST STEPHEN GREEN: fantastic when you have a 21 year old, an 11 year old and a 2 year old!

The hotel is very nice but I would not define it a 5 star: I would say that it is a good 4 star: the rooms are nice but the service all over the hotel and restaurant is a bit cold, as though there was not a sense of unity. Everyone is nice but somehow distant.

We stayed for dinner in CITRON and although the service by Fernando was excellent, we were really not impressed with the food: it was OK, but again did not meet the standards of a 5 star hotel. The restaurant itself which is on the mezzanine is a bit anonymous.

Our rooms were clean and well decorated.

On our trip back to Dublin after 3 days at Ashford Castle a good 4 hours drive from the capital, we arrived at the Fitzwilliam’s where the receptionist told me that it was impossible to check in because of a computer problem.

After a few minutes the assistant manager, (for decency I will not mention his name despite of the fact that we have his business card) came to see me with a very sad face and told me they were unable to check us in because there was a major problem with water supply and the rooms had no water. He said to me he was very upset because he would have an empty hotel for the week end. However, he said, we would stay at the MARRION (I knew already this hotel, it’s a real gem) which was a better hotel, with more facilities, a swimming pool etc.
Useless to say that despite of their “upgrading” I was not excited to move the luggage and especially the boys who were tired for the trip and hyper because of 4 hours of seating in a car but showed a certain sympathy for the whole situation: after all who would like to be the assistant manager of an empty 5 stars on a bank holyday week end?
Only the hotel was far from being empty and the more I waited in the lobby for my husband to come back from the car rental garage, the more I could see that the clients were arriving with their Saturday shopping. Also, I went to the bathroom to change the baby’s nappy and guess what? There was water…

I went to see the manager and share my doubts with him. He said that in fact only 15% of the rooms had no water, the rest was fine…

When my husband arrived, he really thought the assistant’s manager explanation was very strange, but we decided to move hotel anyway. The concierge called a courtesy taxi van for us.
I waited for about 1 hour and 40 minutes, more than 30 minutes just for the cab. Concierge said all the vans were occupied and the traffic was very bad because of BEYONCE CONCERT IN DUBLIN and when I saw a van come I rushed to see if this was ours. Promptly the concierge said this was not ours but guess what? I think I know who had rented the van. A couple of very big body guard type gentlemen open the van and started to extract dozens of cases and, NO KIDDING, dozens of shopping bags from very expensive shops in Dublin… And who sent a double at the museum in Vienna while she was shopping in the city centre a few weeks ago? Was it not Beyoncé?

When my husband asked the concierges if she was staying at the Fitzwilliam’s they suddenly became very evasive saying they could not confirm the information and that we should talk to the manager. My husband went to see him again and asked very simply if they had rented our room to someone else. He became very confused, gave us again the story of lack of water. When my husband asked to see JUST ONE ROOM with no water, he said it was not possible.

I know this story is a bit long but there is only one conclusion: I doubt that Beyoncé or another VIP would stay in the standard room of the Fitzwilliam’s: they would certainly use the penthouse. But how about their staff, the desire for privacy that make certain of these people rent entire floors just to have peace and quiet…
This is maybe a possibility. I will never know for sure…and honestly now I do not care.

Whatever it was, we were told and told again A BARE FACE LIE and treated like perfect idiot. The older kids were really shocked because this behaviour is against the basic rule of education.
People should never be treated with disrespect, no matter if they stay in a 5 or 1 star hotel, no matter if they are dressed in Prada or in old clothes.
Respect is probably not a subject present in all the Hotel schools and probably not in every family. For sure this is not something we experienced with the assistant manager of the Fitzwilliam.

When you choose a nice hotel, you choose a certain number of elements that should never lack. I use a lot this kind of hotels also for work events. The area of St Stephen Green has other remarkable hotels (see my other review)

I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THE FITZWILLIAMS TO ANY OF MY FRIENDS OR COLLEAGUES. NEVER.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank RobiOne
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Myself and my wife stayed here last weekend and were mostly happy with our stay. It is in a fantastic location, just off Grafton Street. The concierge was very helpful.
The bar area was nice but the staff were a slow with service. The room was lovely with everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel but it was on the small side. (We stayed in an executive room). Breakfast was served until 12pm which I thought was a great bonus. Breakfast was quite good but we did not appreciate the cleaners hoovering the area all around us while we were eating. It would seem obvious that if you are offering a breakfast service until that 12pm, it would be greatly appreciated if one could have breakfast in peace and not be put off by the cleaners!

Reviewed 22 May 2009

We have just returned from a three night stay at the Fitzwilliam Hotel to celebrate my husband's birthday. We chose this hotel due to the location and the reviews and we were not disappointed. We had an early flight from Edinburgh and Ihad contacted the Hotel and arranged to drop off our cases about 10.30am. When we arrived our room was ready! It was a lovely room - the bed was very comfortable. We found all the staff very friendly and helpful. The location was great - a few steps to Grafton Street and St Stephen's Green shopping centre.
We will certainly stay at this hotel on our next trip to Dublin.

Reviewed 21 May 2009

Living in Belfast have had many trips to Dublin but always disappointed by hotel rooms.
Decided on Fitzwilliam because of location and reviews.
It was the best hotel experience I have had in Europe in recent years.
The staff were very welcoming.The decor and rooms are beautiful,bathrooms wonderful.Ordered room service breakfast that arrived on time and warm.The gym is small but adequate with towels and bottled water.
Hotel 30 second walk from nearest shops and lots of restaurants nearby.
Can't wait to go back and try the hotels Michelin star restaurant next time.
Go for it!

Reviewed 18 May 2009

Two nights in dear old Dublin and staying in the Fitzwilliam was sheer heaven to me. Book a room at the front with a little balcony and sit there with a coffee and watch the comings and goings in Stephen's Green during the day, then close your doors and sink into the amazing comfort of their beds and have a little snooze, before heading out for some retail therapy on Grafton Street., just a few steps away.
If you're on a budget, stay a little further up the road in 0'Callaghans,( my no.2 Dublin Hotel) but for that extra luxury, views and great service, The Fitzwilliam is THE place for me.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2009

This hotel is a great choice for a stay in Dublin. Everything about it is smart and sharp. The staff is helpful and there is a full supply of umbrellas in the lobby to use when going out. The free computers with printer in the business center are always available. Although our room was small it was very nicely decorated and appointed. The location is very central, just a few minutes from Grafton Street and across the street from St. Stephen's Green, although the frosted glass in the lobby obscures the view of the Green. Unfortunately you have to see the large TGI Fridays sign a few doors away when walking to the hotel. But these are minor annoyances.