“Luxury Hotel in a Great Location”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #14 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Decided to take a trip to Ireland with some friends for summer vacation. After doing a lot of research on places to stay, we settled on the FitzWilliam. The service started from two days before we left and when we arranged car service from the airport to the hotel. The company also doubles as private tour guiding of Dublin and the countryside - which was fantastic - be sure to ask for Ray.

The hotel is what I would call a modern retreat with touches of luxury and class. The lobby (and hotel for that matter) is done in lots of purples and greens, with low seating, and carefully placed lighting. Upon inspection of the room, the same motif carries on. We had an executive room with two singles. There is a large purple felt headboard above the wonderfully comfortable beds. Also a nice but awkward, almost yoga like, seating by the window. There is a large desk with FREE internet and a TV with a good selection of channels. The closet is large enough with a full size iron and board. The bathroom is also relatively modern, decent size, and a powerfully refreshing shower. The reviews are true though, the rooms are teeny - very hard to walk around with one person, nevermind two.

The dining options are all very good. Dinner at Thornton's is an interesting experience, be ready for 45euro plated meal and a good palette. Citron serves up a wonderful breakfast and the Inn on the Green is open all night long for drinks (popular on Thursday - Saturday).

The location of this hotel is unbeatable. Right across the street from St. Stephens Green, the light rail system, and only 25 steps to Grafton Street. Its central location allows a great base for sightseeing or business travel.

Would definitely recommend to someone who likes the W chain in the U.S. or a new and growing type of trendy luxury. Will be back when in Dublin - Happy travels.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank bhackehs
Write a ReviewReviews (2,881)

Reviewed 26 July 2009

I was givena room on the second floor, At 10PM, the disco cranks up until 4AM. I asked to be moved, and was accomodated. But the room was so small as to be uncomfortable. There was no place to put a suitcase, one chair which was virtually impossible to even get into. The bathroom was nice. I was awakened by the front desk at 11 PM with them asking if I wanted my laundry picked up. The location is good, but a little too close to all of the noise of Grafton St. I got a good price, but it is not worth their usual price.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Das45
Reviewed 25 July 2009

May seem small from the outside but when you go in its obvious this hotel has class and comfort. Spent one night in the close by night clubs and one in the residents bar and both night were excellent. The bar stocked just the right drinks of a high quality and the surrounding night life was buzzing. However returing to your bed room was a pleasure with very comfortable beds and everything you need in the room.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank soleks
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We only made use of the room, so cannot comment on the Bar or Restaurant, but the hotel is very well presented and clean and tidy. Very friendly and helpful service from all the staff. Comfortable beds with good air conditioning and other facilities. If we had more time, we would definitely have tried the restaurant and bar. Not my sort of decor, but nice all the same!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Guernsey09
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I was fortunate enough to schedule a short (2 night) layover in Dublinand even more fortunate to stay in the Fitzwilliam. From the moment I arrived I was treated like a long-lost friend. My room was beautifully appointed, spacious, immaculate, and welcoming. Room service was prompt and the food piping hot and delicious, with a courteous wait staff and prompt pickup of dirty cutlery. All the media applications worked flawlessly.

I found breakfast at the buffet to be better than the average fare at European hotels (which is better than said at America hotels, if more expensive), but the least impressive part of the stay. The concierge made up for it with his fantastic recommendations and manner, and with his guidance I had a fantastic day. The Fitzwilliam's location (off Grafton Street and on Stephen's Green) is absolutely the best. There is a seemingly endless array of dining, relaxation, and shopping choices within walking distance.

I will stay at the Fitzwilliam again. My only suggestion would be to add an airport shuttle service, as cab fare will run you 35 Euro.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Wolfheel691
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Before booking any of my hotels for Ireland I read the reviews and after reading the reviews for the Fitzwilliam I contacted them directly through email. I was quickly answered by ELENA QUIJANO, Reservations Manager, who through several emails made great suggestions to my upcoming trip to Ireland; and later reassuring me when I got advanced travel alerts as well as being concerned at the prospect of driving on the wrong side of the road. So even before I stepped foot in The Fitzwilliam lobby I had great service!

My flight arrived at the ungodly hour of 6:30 a.m. and when I walked to the front desk of the Fitzwilliam I was greeted by Sam, who bless his heart took pity on a weary frazzled traveller and arranged for me to get into my room as early as possible. For some reason Sam was at the front desk every time I went there during my stay and I was always treated to a wide smile and swift service. Anytime we had to deal with the front desk it was a pleasure.

The lobby lived up to its online photos and even more important so did my hotel room, beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean and oh so comfortable. This is high compliments from a person who travels with Clorox wipes!

And then there was Tony the Concierge, who to his great chagrin learned that I had booked events from home instead of using his services, each time I was going somewhere he shook his head in dismay because I would have arrived at the same place with much less work. Oh so true! Even my last arrangement and to his great amazement I had to get my rental car by leaving the hotel to return to the airport to pick it up, a service he would have been happy to arrange, so instead of starting my trip across Ireland straight from the Hotel Lobby I instead had the hassle and expense of going all the way back to the airport! I promised Tony that the next time I come to Ireland, I would have him take care of every detail! A promise I fully intend to keep and I know the first stop on my trip will be to The Fitzwilliam.

An obviously very satisfied customer

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank memyselfandimontreal
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We've stayed in many hotels around the world, 5* to motels, and it's the attitude and demeanour of the staff that makes all the difference - you won't be disappointed at The Fitzwilliam. The concierge also got us a great table at Shanahan's steak restaurant a few doors away - a great recommendation. Can't wait to repeat the experience.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple