“Wouldn't stay again”

Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin
Ranked #56 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The lobby is beautiful and the hotel is centrally located on OConnell Street. The room was an adequate size and faced the street. The noise wasn't bad, just normal light street sounds. When we arrived in the room, the toilet wouldn't flush. Housekeeping came right up and fixed the problem. Then the next morning the shower wouldn't give any hot water. We tried on our own for about 20 minutes, then called housekeeping. Housekeeping couldn't figure it out so they called someone else in. he said there was no problem, it just needed time to warm up. it had been "warming up" for 40 minutes at that point. Because we were running behind for our flight, we decided to pack up and check out before eating breakfast. We checked out (after waiting in a line 7 people deep) then asked the woman at check out if she could hold our bags while we ate breakfast. She told us we needed to wait for the concierge and she couldn't help us with that. 15 minutes later the concierge still wasn't there. we approached another person to see if he could find the concierge but he said the concierge should be right back and ran off. While my husband waited with our bags I checked on breakfast, which was 19 euro per person, which I thought was a bit high. Coffee and a pastry was 9 euro a person, and was offered at the bar although no one was at the bar to assist customers. When I got back, the concierge still wasn't there, so we just left and went to the airport to eat there. It seems like it would be better suited for a business stay than a vacation spot. Overall a fine hotel but awful service.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey1123334
Write a ReviewReviews (4,465)

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Stayed at Gresham for 2 nights during the week. Perfectly ok room but not great. Very small window which was half hidden by lowered ceiling. Generally clean but as I do yoga on towel I could see loads of hairs stuck on carpet which was not very nice.
Only took breakfast once as was not impressed.
If I stay again I will find out if there are better rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the Gresham and in the main whilst we thought this was a lovely hotel we did have a few niggles. We did get a good deal, but having said that it still wasn't cheap at well over £150 per night, so we were a little disappointed with the room, finding it a bit on the small side with no view at all, and the bathroom could have done with quite a bit of updating. However, the public areas are lovely, especially the lobby and the Writer's Bar and the staff in the main are lovely, professional and friendly. We didn't think too much of the breakfast as things were a bit disorganised on our first day, and the food was cold to luke warm. To be honest, we didn't bother going for breakfast again after our first day! The general ambience of the place is lovely though and if you want to pay more for a better room I'm sure it would make a difference. All in all, would probably stay here again for the ambience, service and location.

2  Thank Harrysma
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed in the Gresham for three nights we were on a railbreak so it was good value for money.I e mailed the hotel before we stayed to make sure we got one of the renovated rooms. On arrival we were upgraded to one of the Lavery rooms which was very nice spacious with good air con.
Bonus was having an empty fridge in the room. Ask for room on an upper floor at the back of the hotel as OConnel street can be very busy.
Breakfast was just ok nothing special ours was included otherwise not worth the 20 euros.

Room Tip: Upper floor room at the back of the hotel away from the service area. Ask for an upgrade if one is a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Just arrived home after spending one night in the Gresham to watch a concert in the Aviva. The first room we checked into 453 was the worst room I have ever come across. It actually filled me with dred. I did not take photographs as I could not stand being in the room. It was like a bad hostel in 1990! The pug sockets were all covered up by the skirting board then painted over in white- not sure why! Once you went into room you had to walk down a dark awful looking corridor before you really got into room. I really mean this I can not see how this hotel is 4* with rooms like this, this room was 2-3* at best. I went down and asked to be changed rooms (the 1st time I have ever done this). I explained how the room was so depressing and I would struggle to stay in it. The moved us to the 5th floor and the room was 'updated' and off a better finish.The updating was slightly strange when you looked closer with maasive gaps between the tiles in the bathroom and the sink. Slept fine, room quiet and warm.
We had breakfast included again not up to a 4* standard either- sausages are they really??? Never tasted sausage this poor, come on Gresham your letting Ireland down.
On a good point the common areas of this hotel are very pleasant and nice to spend time in and the hotel is in a great area.
This hotel is resting on its name. I would not take take the chance and stay here again- local b&bs are even better.
Please Gresham why will you not spend money on doing these rooms up to the standard they deserve?

Reviewed 16 September 2012

To celebrate a recent special birthday for my mum (a Dublin girl) we travelled over from the Wirral to Dublin and booked into the Gresham hotel as part of a weekend break. It is a hotel that my mum remembered well from her childhood as a flagship for service quality and a place where those who could afford the very best would choose to stay. I was therefore especially pleased to find out that although the service levels we experienced were in keeping a 5 star hotel, the prices were extremely reasonable. I'm not one to fill in these kind of feed back forums but I have been so impressed by the fantastic levels of service we received that I needed to give credit where credit is due! From the assistance we received at the carpark, the attentive front-desk team (esp mention to Andrew Walker for helping our weekend to run so smoothly), the bar staff, cleaners...the list goes on...all of them an absolute credit to their employers. Dublin is a wonderful city with so much to offer and obviously still 'home' as far as my mum is concerned and the Gresham is as much a part of the city as the Liffey itself. It has an impressive history, is wonderfully run today and is somewhere I would recommend for future visits.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Dublin is one of our favourite cities and we try to visit as often as we can.

We have previously always stayed at the Morrison hotel however after visiting The Gresham for a drink on a previous occasion we decided that we would stay there after visiting my parents in Galway before taking the boat back to the UK.

The car park is really interesting, after parking your car you gain access to the hotel via a lift that takes you to up to the 3rd floor and then exit the lift to take another lift down to reception, to then check in and get the lift up again to your room. That said, the car park is on site and is very convenient, safe and not too expensive for the location.

Talking of location, it couldn’t be more perfect; you are right on O’Connell Street a stones throw from everywhere. If you get the airport coach, it stops straight outside and nothing is far away from the hotel.

Whilst we didn’t have breakfast or an evening meal in the hotel, on our first day whilst waiting for our room to be finished we had lunch in the lounge. It is such a wonderful place to sit and watch the world go by especially if you are lucky enough to get a table by the window overlooking the hustle and bustle of Dublin. We both had wraps and they were delicious, packed full of fillings and not too expensive at all, washed down by a couple of glasses of delightful wine, again, all reasonably priced. Even if you just experience a drink in the lounge it all feels very grand and grown up!

Our room was at the back of the hotel and only overlooked other rooms so no view to speak of. Our room however was wonderful, really big with lovely décor and an amazingly comfortable bed. We had a little foyer where our huge wardrobes were and the bathroom was off there, our bathroom was very generous and whilst the décor was a little tired and the shower not the most powerful in the world, it was spotless.

All the staff were very polite and efficient, I would say they gave off a more professional than warm persona – however this does suit the grandness of the hotel.

We had a wonderful stay and will definitely look to stay again when next in Dublin and next time look to get a room overlooking O’Connell Street.