Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin
Gate Hotel(Dublin)
  • Bar/Lounge
Wynn's Hotel(Dublin)
4,634 results
All reviewslavery wingo'connell streettoddy's bartaxi ranklovely hotelcentral locationtemple barairport busstandard roomlovely roomfollowing morningtwin roomtrinity collegeeveshamfoyerirelandeuro
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Not a nice friendly face upon arrival , just a manager looking into his screen and he's not a people person . I thought the same the last time I stayed .a good nice breakfast manager but unless you have a b&b deal its terribly expensive . There's a great place for breakfast down the road on the next corner for €5.95. Rooms in the front are nicer than the back however the windows are old poor alliminnion and and the noise from o Connell street is loud. The windows open out wide so no safety if you have kids.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Joanne11297
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I think the key here is that the hotel is overcharging for rundown conditions. I stayed four nights in the middle of this month (September) and grew increasingly irritated by how difficult the stay became. When I arrived, I asked for a quiet room, and was shown to a room quite far away from the main hotel (on the 6th floor, which cannot by reached by an elevator; you take the elevator to the 5th floor and then the poor concierge had to lug my bags up a flight or two of stairs). The room I was shown had one window that opened; the other was sealed shut. The 'quiet' room overlooked a street where construction was taking place. I asked for another room, one that was closer to the main hotel, and not so hard to get to or find, for that matter. The next room, 543, forever sealed in my memory as a room I will never have to live with again, overlooked ugly interior buildings, but both windows opened and it turned out that this room had the good grace to be mostly very quiet. However, negatives accrued. The first thing I had to tell the staff to fix was the toilet seat, which was literally coming off when I first discovered the problem. That got fixed immediately, which is good. The plumbing, however, in that room at least, was a constant issue. Toilets in Ireland seem to require a lot of effort to flush in general, but this particular toilet was uniquely difficult, requiring a very strong arm to shove the plunger down hard enough to get enough flow to actually flush the toilet properly. I didn't tell the staff about the toilet flushing problem, because I began to think that the entire hotel might need upgrading, given the fact that the air con in my room wasn't working, the carpets on the 5th floor all looked worn, and the hotel has the general appearance of the kind of place that used to be quite wonderful, but has fallen on harder times. The location is "good" but not great, because the general area when you go out the front door of the hotel is pretty seedy; the area is surrounded by cheap places to eat, movie theatres, and 'amusement' halls for kids. The breakfast, which is typically expensive, is not special enough to warrant the expense. I've had some great breakfasts this past month while touring around Ireland, and it doesn't take much to make a breakfast selection good and good for you, but the Gresham is clearly cutting corners all over the place, including on its food selection at breakfast. The breakfast room itself is very large and quite nice. The downstairs rooms of the hotel are being given the upgrades and attention, while the upper rooms might be being ignored. There is a lovely "Writers Lounge" area where you can get afternoon tea (or drinks later in the evening) but I had to move three times one afternoon to find just the right table to get the waiters to notice I existed. I asked at one point, will you serve me if I sit here (in this slightly out of the way table) and they said no, but then later, after I'd moved, I noticed they'd begun serving at that table after all. If you do get afternoon tea, try the tea brack, and a tasty tea-dipped fruit bread, which seems to be Irish in its inception, and was quite good. There's also another restaurant attached to the hotel, again, overpriced, as all hotel restaurants seem to be, sadly; this is a brasserie with some good choices, and serves fairly late at night, which is helpful when you don't want to walk the few blocks to the quays (or beyond) to find food. All in all, I would find another place to stay next time I'm in Dublin, especially because I got some of the worst sleep of my entire trip in 543, and it took them until past 5 p.m. to clean my room on the Sunday I stayed. I asked four times to please clean my room. Each time I was reassured very cheerfully that they were just about to get to it. I began to despair but it did get done eventually.

Room Tip: Tricky. The front of the hotel overlooks the main street, quite noisy. The back rooms overlook one of the grimmest interior of other buildings I have had the misfortune of looking at. If you're not choosy, you'll probably find something in this hotel that will work for you, but I would not suggest more than one or two nights here.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Alison G
AndrewWalker, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Alison G

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at The Gresham Hotel in Dublin.

I do apologise if you felt your stay was inconvenienced.

The 6th floor of The Gresham is connected to the hotel, it is just the top floor. Although the elevator does not climb that high, it is serviced by stairs. These would be some of our quietest rooms in the hotel, however, we were unaware of the works outside of your room affecting the hotel.

Within this room, one window is a solid pane of glass, whilst the other is an opening and closing window.

Room 543, like many rooms in The Gresham, overlooks the rear of the hotel. We have never, or be known to, offer rooms with a view. This is due to us being in a city centre and surrounded by neighbouring buildings.

The toilets in all rooms are activated by the flushing mechanism. I am sorry if this proved difficult to use and I have asked our maintenance department to check this.

We have a number of rooms with air conditioning, however, the majority do not have this system. This is the main reason we do not advertise this facility. Had we known air conditioning was a strong requirement, we would have done our best to allocate this room type to you.

The carpets in all rooms on the 5th floor were new as from January 2013.

We cannot agree with your comments regarding breakfast. We have 6 different cereals, 6 types of fresh fruit, a selection of dried fruits, cheeses, cold meats. There are many different bread types on offer and 4 fresh fruit juices. The cooked breakfast comprises of 13 food items, including fish items and omelettes to cater for all tastes. Our chefs and food on offer for all dietary requirements and a smaller takeaway breakfast can be made available for guests wishing to utilise this.

I do love the way your review has seemed to focus on the negatives regarding our location. We are located within Dublin City Centre, we are next door to a cinema and there is a Burger King at the end of our block of building. There is also an amusement arcade further down O'Connell Street. The Gresham Hotel is also 2 minutes walk from the main shopping areas of Dublin City Centre, which has 2 shopping malls and close to 300 stores. The 2 main department stores in the city are located close to The Gresham, namely Clery's and Arnotts. The historic landmark of Trinity college is a short hop from the end of the street across the river and the GPO, Writers Museum, Garden of Rememberance are minutes form the front door. The Gate and Abbey Theatres are a stones throw away from the hotel. For eating establishments, the Michelin starred Chapter One is with 2 minutes of our front door. The Church Restaurant, Hot Stove, Talbot 101, Le Bon Crubeen are within minutes of The Gresham and have each been rated highly on Tripadvisor.

We refurbished Toddys Bar and Brasserie in recent years and have found the feedback to have been very good and the prices reasonable.

I do apologise for the service issues you experienced in Writers Lounge and will be taking this matter up with the department heads directly.

I do thank you for your comments and I do hope I have answered your criticisms appropriately. We do value all feedback as this does allow to appraise our current standards and gives us a platform to build upon for the future.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Everything from the welcome at checking in to the superb breakfast the next morning was fantastic. It is also in the most central location. The rooms were great and the bed very comfortable. The only thing better than the night out in Dublin was looking forward to getting back to the hotel for a late drink at the bar and put my feet up. When in Dublin its the first place on my list to stay and it never dissappoints!

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel or on a higher floor if you like quiet. Dublin is a lively city.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Oisin11
AndrewWalker, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear Oisin11

It is always a pleasure to welcome you to The Gresham Hotel and I thank you for taking the time to complete the review, following your stay.

We shall be delighted to welcome you back next time you are in Dublin and please do not hesitate to contact us for our most favourable bedroom rates.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

For a four star hotel I had expected better. We booked a delux room which in my view was very standard average size nothing special. We also booked breakfast to be included which to me is the best part of staying in a hotel it was disappointing buffet style which was tired looking I prefer when there is a menu and you can have a choice it was very lacking compared to other hotels I have stayed in. After breakfast we returned to our room our check out time was noon fairly standard but we had a ring at the doorbell at 11am from house keeping wanting to know what time we were leaving not very welcoming quite rude actually. I would choose somewhere else my next trip to Dublin.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Vivienne H

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review following your stay at The Gresham Hotel.

I do apologise if you were not satisfied with your stay. The Lavery room you had reserved is 33 square metres in total area, and are among the largest rooms in the city.

I note you were disappointed with the buffet style breakfast. Being a 300 bedroom hotel, offering breakfast, accompanied with the large range of items to choose from, we have found the buffet style is the most efficient way to serve. Whilst your other reviews are only a snapshot of the hotels you have stayed in, they are much smaller properties and can possibly offer a table service experience during breakfast time.

I do, however, apologise for you being disturbed on the morning of departure. We do inform our guests to utilise the do not disturb sign in the rooms, if they do not wish to be disturbed, as our housekeeping department are servicing bedrooms throughout the day.

We will be delighted to welcome you back to The Gresham on a future occasion and I shakll be delighted if you could contact me directly, so I may look after your reservation details.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We booked the Gresham for one night when we went to see a show as our usual hotel was fully booked, We found them to be very helpful, a lovely clean hotel with car park ( extra charge) the car park was behind the hotel so you didnt have too far to walk if you had a lot of luggage, but as mentioned in a previous review very tight turns if driving a large car, a very comfortable bed, nice big room, free wifi & the usual tea, coffee etc, but woken up very early with deliveries and binmen, I think it just depends where your room is located as we were over looking the alley for service and delivery lorries, although we had booked room only when we came to pay the next morning breakfast had been added to our bill so you do need to double check, it wasnt a problem and the clerk took it off straight away.
A very enjoyable stay and we will be back, reasonably priced for the heart of the city.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear David f

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your stay at The Gresham Hotel.

Minor issues aside, I am really pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Just a quick point regarding the car park. As it was mentioned in a previous review also, the width of the ramps is 2 metres, which is wide enough for cars and 4x4's. However, like all car parks, the driver needs to be careful with parking and navigating through this.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Gresham Hotel in the future, and please do not hesitate to contact myself to ensure you receive our best rates.