“OK for one night”

Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin
Ranked #56 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed here on business and my room was spacious with a very comfortable bed. The only downside was that I got very little sleep due to the street noise, refuse collection early in the morning etc. The bathroom was fine and products are supplied, the shower was good with plenty of hot water. I am not a big breakfast person myself but there seemed to be a good selection of food but I only had the coffee which was fine. In terms of location it's not the best part of town by all accounts but I felt safe enough - note you have to show your room key when entering the hotel at night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
AndrewWalker, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Fourtyke

Thank you for taking the time to review The Gresham Hotel.

I do appreciate your comments and I am delighted you were pleased with the hotel.

As with many city centre hotels, there may be external noises which are beyond our control. I will be delighted to arrange a quiet room for you on any future occasions.

Yours Sincerely
aw@thegresham.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,461)

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Spending 3 nights in this 4 star hotel in the city centre of Dublin I can say that this hotel met my expectations. I had a very nice and spacious room which was well furnished. Wi-Fi is for free and the connection is OK. Breakfast served is tasty with adequte choice. The only reservation I have is the differentness between rooms, because my colleague had a half size& and not so well furnished room for the same price!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mojmir B

Thank you for reviewing The Gresham Hotel following your stay with us.

We do appreciate your kind comments and I will ensure all our staff see them.

You may send me your reservation details. So I may check the rooms. This situation could occur if guests check in at different time etc. But I will look into this for you.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My friend and I got a very good deal months ago, so that we could stay overnight after The Eagles gig at the O2, namely €60 per head for B&B. The room was small, but clean and, as the saying goes, fit for purpose. The Gresham is, of course, an iconic hotel with a firm place in Dublin's history and the building itself is quite grand and quaint.
Staff were friendly. But oh dear, the breakfast. We asked for a tea and a coffee and got a stewed, almost stone cold cup of each, by which time we had been up to collect our breakfast from the buffet and were almost finished eating before a staff member could be alerted. Some parts of the breakfast were lukewarm too, i.e. the mushrooms and scrambled eggs.
We were glad we weren't paying full whack, and will investigate somewhere else the next time we are staying over.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank WicklowHil
AndrewWalker, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear WicklowHil

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Gresham Hotel and thank you for your comment regarding the room.

To be honest, the room size that was allocated to you was the room size that was booked. We do have on our confirmations, which you received, the room size on this, so I am a little concerned as to why it was a shock to feel it was small. Our standard rooms range from 18 square metres, the Lavery bedrooms are 33 square metres and our penthouses are from 130 square metres.

I do apologise for the inconvenience you have described at breakfast. Last Thursday morning, the restaurant had adequate numbers of staff on duty and the restaurant supervisor. We would have been more than delighted to change your tea and coffee, if you were not satisfied.

Rather than not be satisfied and endure a substandard cup of tea, we do appreciate if you could inform us of this, so we may rectify. Therefore, it may not be necessary to post an anonymous complaint on a review website for something that would have been simple to fix.

Regards

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed this June bank holiday at the Gresham Dublin and I have to say we were less than impressed with 50% of the staff being rude or just dismissive, the rooms are only ok, they are somewhat clean as in the corners and edges of floors were not clean, the carpets in the corridors are very tired, this hotel does well because of its status and location but honestly you will find way better in Dublin than this. 1st room we checked into the Air conditioning was not working so they told us to wait an hour or so and they would find one with working Air conditioning, they called us back and said someone would come with the new key card and help with luggage, they came but no help was given, no directions to the new room and no assistance with bags, the next room was no better but at this stage we just accepted the lack of Air con. The most surprising part of out stay was upon check out, the lady at the desk took my key card, checked bill and said that is all ok, no good bye, no how was your stay and when i asked for assistance with leaving our bags she said "he" will help, pointing to a group of three gentlemen in suites. Felt like I was disturbing her day by checking out and having the neck to ask for a place to leave my luggage. All in all I would not visit the Gresham again, I have stayed in many Dublin city centre hotels and this rates way down my list of stays. Oh I must add the pillows and the bed are not great, pillows are like wafers and the beds way too soft.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ClareWithTheHairCom

Following except of this review, we have made contact with the reviewer so we may investigate the issues described.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I loved the Gresham. Perfect central location for shopping, tourist sites and nightlife. Excellent staff, lovely lobby area. Room service at 3.30 in the morning was great! Only downside was the size of the bedroom, but we had a good deal so didn't mind. Breakfast was excellent!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Busybrennan
Reviewed 2 June 2014

While the hotel was nice over all the staff were a bit challenging. I encountered a night staff at the front desk that was rude beyond belief. He refused to assist me with an issue I had. I asked for a room with a mini-fridge so I could purchase things from the market to have on hand to snack on which included cheese and meats. The fridge did not cool anything..it did not work, in fact it was hotter than the room. On no less than 3 occasions we asked for it to be checked and was told over and over it was to cool not to freeze...exactly...COOL but no it heated and spoiled our purchased nosh. I had purchased a glass from the Guinness Factory and left it out near my things and the cleaning staff took it thinking it belonged to the bar. I did get a glass back but not the one that I purchased. Parking was a bit odd as they had a garage but it closed nightly at 11 pm and was difficult to get an attendant to open it for parking. I went to enjoy the bar one evening and sat at the bar and waited nearly 20 minutes before one of the barkeeps would wait on me. Overall a bit of a disappointment. While the room was fresh, clean and comfortable the staff and busy location would make me choose not to stay there again. Upon check out several items had been charged to our room on the day prior to check-in. They did credit the card back but didn't seem to understand we had not checked in during the time the charges had been made. I would certainly look at other options before staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MCOS69
AndrewWalker, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Due to air strike I had a night at the Gresham
Yes it we'll located near the famous Post Office and around the corner is the Hop on Hop Off Bus.
Location Location Location.
The room was clean and airy. Room was over heated but a call to housekeeper was followed up pretty quickly by maintenance. All was fixed.
No complaints. The reception guys were helpful and it was a pleasant stay.
Taxi ride to airport was $20. All in all a good stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo