“Dublin trip”

Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Cork, Ireland
“Dublin trip”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed in the Gresham last week and it was a great experience. This hotel is in the centre of Dublin and is close to all amenities. The staff were wonderful. There is a fab foyer where you can sit and watch the world go by. The only negative was the twin room was a little small.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Booked into The Gresham for one night and truthfully, one night was enough.
The hotel looks great as you walk up the steps into a large reception, but the rooms are tired, the walls are very thin and the room amenities is poor (e.g. no tea / coffee maker).
The location is as good as it gets with only a few minutes walk from the Temple Bar area and shops literally at your doorstep.
But for us, the hotel is old-fashioned. We tried the restaurant "Toddy's" located in the hotel and found it bland and overpriced.
The only real positive was the breakfast the next morning. We got breakfast included in our package......otherwise it would've cost us 45 euros!!
But the variety of fresh foods on offer was incredible and the service at breakfast was A+.
All in all, I wouldn't go back unless I got a really good deal. We recently returned from another trip in Dublin staying in The Merchant House in Temple Bar area this time.
By far, The Merchant House was far superior with large modern rooms, every room amenity you can think of, and very friendly staff.
The Gresham Hotel I'm afraid needs a lot of TLC, with possibly some of their staff needing manners along with being educated in customer service.
I've given the 3 star rating purely because of location and the breakfast the next morning, but truthfully, with such a variety of hotels in Dublin, you can find better value and more modern accommodation than The Gresham.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Looking to book a night in Dublin, this marginally-fading grand hotel came up with a good offer. My room was the second one up from the bottom,so a small double. It was indeed small, and overlooked the back so was quiet (thank you reception for asking if I preferred the front or back). There was hanging space but no wardrobe, and, oddly, no drawer for clothes. Tea and coffee facilities were limited with no hot chocolate, fruit or herb teas and, shock horror, no biscuits. Otherwise a very good stay with a really comfortable bed and a HUGE flat screen TV. Reception staff were lovely and couldn't have been friendlier. I would return.

Room Tip: I was told that rooms on the main street can be very noisy. Mine, on the third floor at the back, w...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
AndrewWalker, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear celloconcert

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Gresham Hitel.

You had stayed in one of our bijoux standard rooms. Which are advertised as being smaller in size than a standard bedroom. The facilities in the room are the same as what you would find in a larger room type. There is storage space for clothes and a small wardrobe.

The room sizes vary from the bijoux rooms, to standard rooms, Lavery rooms and a selection of suites including our penthouse.

I shall be delighted to welcome you back to The Gresham when you are next in Dublin. Please do not hesitate to contact myself where I will make sure you receive our very best room rates. Will try and get you something bigger too!

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We booked to stay in the Gresham hotel on Sunday the 8th of June for my moms birthday. It was a beautiful hotel, with exceptionally helpful and friendly staff. From the moment we went to check in it was a lovely experience. The receptionists name was Rosemary she was extremely pleasant and had a lovely softness about her. Our room was booked on a room only basis, she explained to us that with a supplement charge we could avail of this and the times and location of the breakfast room. I have stayed in numerous hotels where the receptionist goes for the hard sell and pesters you in to it but this was not the case here. Once our check in was completed we made our way to the lifts the lobby area is decorated to a very high old charm standard with gorgeous chandeliers, there were 2 bars located either side with a generous seating area in between.
We were staying in room 568, it was a really spacious room with all modern facilities. Once we had settled in we made our way down to the bar area for afternoon tea which runs from 2pm to 6pm. The cost is €21 per person as it was a birthday break it was something that we thought would be nice to do but I really think that it is good value for money, well worth trying out on your stay.
We had a really nice meal in Toddys restaurant. The staff were so pleasant in there and nothing was too much for them, a lovely girl waited our table, she was a pleasure to deal with, the only pity was that I did not get her name as I think that her service was outstanding and it should be recognised. It was excellent value for money and the food was so tasty, definitely a must for any stay.
My only critism for the whole weekend was that our stay was not long enough!!!! We will definitely be back again and I will be recommending it to all my family and friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Fiona G
Dear Fiona G

I do thank you for your review regarding The Gresham Hotel.

I have passed your comments to the relevant staff members and departments and I must say they are delighted with you kind words.

I do hope we can welcome you back to The Gresham when you are next in Dublin, and hopefully for that little bit longer! Please do not hesitate to contact myself where I will ensue you eclipse our very best room rates.

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Lovely hotel with excellent customer service and very pleasant staff.The double room was very spacious and I loved looking out on the night sky and busy O,Connell st. With double glazing there were no noise problems. The bar areas were wonderful to relax in and staff were very attentive there also.It is a great location and will certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Daisy123452014

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Gresham Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay and we do hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Please do not hesitate to contact myself where I may ensure you receive our very best room rates.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I spent two nights at this hotel on a business trip to Dublin. It was well located for the tram.

The hotel has a bit of a wow factor when you walk in, although I felt my room was a bit small for the cost – it was hard to move round the bed and would certainly have been a tight squeeze if two people had been sharing the double.

It was not the quietest room either, overlooking the main road; however there was not much road noise during the night.

I had dinner and breakfast at this hotel and both were excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BarneyB1981
Dear BarneyB1981

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Gresham.

The Gresham Hotel is situated in the heart of Dublin City Centre and many of Dublin attractions and places of business are within a stones throw from our front door. The drawback is some of the rooms overlooking O'Connell Street can be noisy. We do have the majority room facing the rear of the hotel which can be a little quieter.

I am delighted to read you had enjoyed the remainder of your stay and we do hope to welcome you back to The Gresham in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Loved staying here. Ever since I booked it I was excited. Beautiful hotel, staff are so helpful and friendly, room was lovely and spotless and the location of the hotel couldn't be any better. Great place.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Lauren Maguire
AndrewWalker, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Lauren Maguire
hank you for taking the time to review The Gresham Hotel.

All my colleagues at The Gresham thank you for your kinds words and we do hope to welcome you back to The Gresham again in the future.

Please let me know if you will be staying again, so I may ensure you eclipse our best available room rates.