“I had a perfect night, my room was excellent”

Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin
“I had a perfect night, my room was excellent”
Reviewed 6 April 2010

Let me preface this by saying that I have stayed in 5 star hotels around the world, and all the way down to shabby hostels and camping grounds, so when I say I had a perfect night I mean it and know what it means to say it. I had been planning a romantic night for myself and my girlfriend, I booked a deluxe room, I then saw the option for rose petals to placed around the room and a bouquet of flowers, I ordered for both. There is a grand ambience to the reception in the gresham, to the adjoining restaurant and bar that makes up the bottom floor, I have eaten and drunk there before but had never stayed in the hotel and it was that the dining was a lovely experience there, and the ground floor so immediatly arresting that I decide to book a room here. Anyway, long story short the staff were lovely, when I got to the room I was delighted to find the bouquet was stunning and the rose petals were layed out as a three layered heart on the bed, the room and particularly the bathroom was gorgeous and i had an excellent stay there. I did not order room service nor did I engage in any other contact with the staff or arrange any other service so i can't honestly comment on the quality of their services but as far as my stay went everything was ideal. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in dublin and looking for an excellent hotel in a city center location.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
SOUTH WALES
Reviewed 3 April 2010

My wife and I thorouughly enloyed our recent stay in the Gresham in Dublin. We were there to celebrate my 5oth birthday. This is our second visit to this hotel, we originally stayed there in 1996, at the time we were less than impressed it was old-worldly and lacking in ambience. The hotel has undergone a recent refurbishment and it has to be said that its vastly improved since its makeover. The room was clean and comfortable and had a nice atmosphere. Our room was at the back of the hotel,, the rear of the hotel was a bit grotty but thats par for the course with big old hotels. Staff were excellent, reception team very informal and welcoming, I was very impressed with the porters who do an excellent job.

I would warn potential guests that the hotel can be a bit stuffy at times, my wife and I have health issues which are aggrivated by excesskve heat, but it is possible to regulate the air-conditioning in the rioom.

Florida
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Dublin Airport has many very early flights arriving from the USA. The Gresham should know when their guests are arriving from overseas . Our flight got in at roughly 5:30am. We got to the "blackened" hotel at about 6:00am. We thought the hotel was closed. There was no staff and no lights on. We stood in the dark wondering what to do until finally a nasty man appeared. My sister asked if we could leave our luggage somewhere. He told us we would have to wait. She then asked if she could at least brush her teeth and he told us to go down the street to McDonald's!! She had never been to Ireland before and certainly did not know her way around town, especially in the dark.
The front desk staff eventually came on and we were able to store the luggage and get on the hop on, hop off bus until a room became available. They were nice enough to give us a room about 11:am.
Rooms were small, but clean and comfortable. There was no view but rooftops and alleys from our window. There was very loud yelling and door slamming at 3:00AM that went on for a least 45 minutes.
We had to leave very early in the morning. My sister ran out and picked up some take out breakfast and brought it back. We met in the lobby with our luggage to save time. We ordered a very expensive hot chocolate from the hotel and quietly sat off to the side in the empty lobby area which has many tables and chairs.
A very arrogant man approached us and admonished us for eating in the lobby and told us we would have to leave because we did not order the food from them!! I guess the hot chocolate did not qualify us to be entitled to sit there or the fact that we paid for 2 rooms.......................
I have been raving to my sister and family about how nice the people in Ireland are. The Gresham Hotel staff that we encountered were a tremendous disappointment to the start of our trip.
Certainly not Céad Míle Fáilte! (100 Thousand Welcomes!!)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
County Antrim Ireland
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I stayed at the Gresham in O'Connell Street last month with my young family. We were in Dublin for a weekend break. I must say I could not fault it at all. This hotel is one of the best located in Dublin. Step outside and you are in the Most Historic Street in Dublin and yards from The GPO and Parnell Square. The Striking Dublin spike is just yards away. Clerys and Arnotts are within two minutes and Templebar and Grafton Street are a short walk away. In the other direction, if you like your sports, Croke Park is within walking distance.

What the Gresham has in buckets is charm, resonance and atmosphere with its architecture and decor in keeping with a Classic Dublin Establishment. Sit in the lobby at a window overlooking O'Connell Street and enjoy the famous Gresham Tea served on a traditional three tiered tray. You could be back in Joyce's Dublin but for the traffic outside!

Our room was excellent and spacious and ticked all the boxes that a young family require, to include the rate. They have some excellent mini break offers. We availed of one on this occasion. But it was the staff...they could not be more helpful and were tuned to our every need. Nothing was too much bother, which is so good. Too often we feel we are imposing in a hotel when we ask for the baby bottle to be filled with milk or when we order a bowl of potatoes and gravy! Not at the Gresham.

This is not a Spa Resort. This is a traditional Dublin Hotel full of character that I cannot recommend highly enough. We see it as our hotel in Dublin...and so do our kids. They love it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MCG111
Yorkshire
Reviewed 29 March 2010

The Location of the Gresham was spot on. Right by the bus stop for the Airport buses and at the beginning of the Hop on hop off tour. Breakfast was excellent, good service and food quality and choice. The rooms were fine - my only gripe is that the water in the shower was only warm and not hot enough. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
belfast
Reviewed 28 March 2010

stayed 2 nights, over st patricks day. was a great location, clean comfortable room although the water in the bathroom was not that hot for a good shower.
overall a comfortable stay, would not have breakfast in the hotel, there are alot of good cafe's etc close by
Parking is in a park at the back of the hotel, although feel they should have more organised for those arriving with cars, as parking is extra

limerick ireland
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Sent my parents here for my dads 60th birthday and could not meet nicer staff. Very helpful , especially Michelle Costello, and did all they could to make mum and Dads stay extra special. We only have loan of our parents, so its nice to treat them to something extra special every now and again. Great rates on rooms, and yet 4 star standard, top class. Fab surroundings, and all in all, a great experience.