“Great customer service and location, but overall fell short.”
Review of The Westbury

The Westbury
Ranked #7 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 24 July 2012

During a 2 week business trip to Ireland, we stayed at the Westbury Hotel as our jumping off point to all things and places Ireland. The location is the most notable factor of the hotel; easy access to St. Stephens Green, the Luas, Grafton St., and everything downtown. You can’t beat it!

Service: The staff is outstanding and extends themselves to make sure your stay is as pleasurable as possible. An example, our inbound flight arrived in Dublin very early in the morning and at 630, we checked into the hotel. Although our reservation wasn’t until that evening, the front desk staff provided a temporary room, our room wasn’t yet available, so we could freshen up and change after a long haul flight. This small courtesy showed the dedication to customer service and was greatly appreciated.

Rooms: The rooms are well appointed with plenty of room for 2 people, 2 suitcases, and a computer bag. The desk has enough space to spread out and work for a couple of hours although the internet was very slow in the mornings and evenings. The beds are uncomfortable; we traveled with other members from the company (total of 4 rooms, 9 people) and the consensus was that the beds were terrible. They are very firm and left us stiff and achy in the morning.

Food: We ate breakfast on Easter Sunday in the restaurant and the food was bland, boring, and the coffee bitter. We ordered yogurt, fruit, an omelet, and juice. We didn’t dine again on property after this experience. Note the prices for breakfast and dinner are very expensive and not worth the value.

Overall, the Westbury is pleasant but we would not stay here again on a return visit. The recent remodel has taken the charm out of the historic building and it’s become a trendy and modern (almost sterile) impersonal space. For example, there are only 2 benches in the lobby to wait for other members of your party. The rest of the lobby has been remodeled with tables, chairs, couches and coffee tables as a seating area for bar services. It has an awkward feel as though if you are not ordering drink service, you should be there.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
WehManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2012

Dear ElectronEYE,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review about your stay at The Westbury Hotel last Easter. Thank you also for your much-appreciated custom.

You have been most kind to point out the excellent customer service you recieved during your stay as well as the hotel's unbeatable location.
I am most concerned that a number of issues you experienced during your stay with us were not resolved beyond your satisfacion there and then. I also regret not having had the opportunity of gleaning your thoughts during your stay and correcting these issues.
I would be most appreciative if you would be so kind as to contact me directly at joseph_downing@doylecollection.com to discuss your experience in more detail and to ensure your continued custom at The Westbury Hotel.

Thank you once again for your attention.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 22 July 2012

First time staying at the Westbury Dublin, location right in the middle of Grafton street. very pleased with all aspects of my stay, staff food room all gave more than expected.

Room Tip: booked through amex and given a free upgrade to room 425, very big room
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
WehManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Dear doakie,

Thank you for your positive review of The Westbury Hotel and for having chosen to stay with us while visiting Dublin.

Your highly encouraging comments are greatly appreciated by everyone here.
I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of your your first stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Thank you once more for your review and custom.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

stayed in the westbury for 1 night ...and its nice ..you are well looked after ...but for the prices charged you should be. Good to see complimentary wi-fi ... other hotels take note !. also excellent location walking distance from everything . Only real quibble is the price of the room service breakfast ..hard to justify €28.75 + €5 ..tray fee for a full irish ... however we did enjoy our stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
WehManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear solito,

Thank you for having chosen to stay at The Westbury Hotel Dublin and thank you for having taken the time to review your experience of our renowned establishment on Tripadvisor.
Your opinion is important to us and your feedback is most appreciated indeed.
Comments from our guests allow us to carefully monitor and ensure the very best of standards associated with those of Leading Hotels Of The World.
I do hope that it will not be too long before I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Westbury Hotel and thank you once again for your comments and custom.

Laura Farrington
Assistant Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 20 July 2012

stayed here for a one night break in July 2012. Room was beautiful (if a little small). Service was impeccable. We didn't eat in the hotel. But we did have a drink in the bar. The wine list was a lot more reasonable than I was expecting. The location is second to none. I would definitley stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
WehManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Dear Strabane Girl,

Thank you for titling your recent favourable review of The Westbury Hotel with the catch phrase "Luxury in the heart of the city."

You have certainly outdone some of the most finely-worded promotional material in the business and for this I am most grateful. It is also nice to read that you found the service impeccable here at The Westbury Hotel and I have no doubt that this is down to our extremely dedicated team who take the utmost pride in surpassing our guests' expectations.
At The Westbury there is a wide selection of rooms and suites to choose from and if you require that extra bit of space I would strongly recommend opting for an upgrade to one of our delightful de-luxe rooms or one of our suites on your next visit.
Please do feel free to contact me directly if you plan on returning and I should be delighted to assist you with your reservation and oversee your stay.
You may reach me on ´Joseph_Downing@doylecollection.com

Thank you once more for your patronage and your review on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Arrived at 10 a.m. and room was ready. Staff was pleasant and attentive. Room - clean! The best part is the hotel's location ... smack dab off Grafton Street. Short walks to Trinity College, St. Stephen's Park, great shopping, and restaurants. The Cafe was excellent; The Wilde, not our cup of tea. All in all, would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Dear ReallyNeedaVacation,

Thank you for being a patron of The Westbury Hotel's and thank you for having taken the time to favourably review your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled to note that your expectations were met on all fronts and that your overall comment of "Well-taken care of" reflects our committment to all of our cherished guests.
From your comments it is apparent that you sampled all aspects of The Westbury Hotel and I am most happy that your expectations were met by our wonderful team.
I would love to tell you more about our new and exciting plans for Wilde, The Restaurant which has already been awarded two AA Rosettes and I invite you to contact me directly if you would like to contribute your opinions.

Thank you once again for your delightful review and for being one of our customers.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

We are back in NYC after a wonderful vacation in Ireland. We used Dublin as our base and took day tours throuhgout the city and countryside. After reviewing Tripadvisor prior to our trip, we decided to stay at The Westbury due to the many positive comments about the hotel. They were all wrong!!! I didn't see anyone give it six stars! The Westbury exceeds all superlatives and is, by far, the best hotel we have ever stayed at anywhere in the world and it exceeds all expectations and comments that I have read. The hotel is in the center of all the action on Grafton Street, yet we didn't hear anything at night. They must have some top secret soundproofing patent because the loudest sound that I heard at night was from my watch ticking. The staff could not have been more helpful and they pitched in for each other; someone's away from the desk, another bears the load. Need something from housekeeping? It is done immediately and with a smile and offer for further help if needed. The food is fantastic, the housekeeping immaculate and we have never slept in a more comfortable bed. The pillows are the size of some beds I have slept in. The reason for all this excellence becomes very apparent once you meet the Guest Relations Manager, Joseph Downing. He will do anything to make sure that your stay is perfect not just in the luxury and comfort provided wihtin the hotel but he will also answer any questions and give right on the money insights and suggestions pertaining to trips and sites to see. In a word PERFECT.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Brainjots,

Thank you for reviewing The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor in such a favourable light.

It is truly encouraging for everyone here at the hotel to read of your experience and that your expectations were not only met but exceeded on all fronts.
Thank you also for your most kind and flattering comments about myself which I must say are greatly appreciated and accepted on behalf of the entire team.

Thank you for having chosen our hotel as your base for visiting Irealnd and I do hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near furure.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

I've stayed at the Westbury a few times over the years and when the Westin (absolutely #1 choice in Dublin) was full I thought the Westbury offered a good alternative. Standards have fallen and the room, facilities etc was nothing special. Despite the hotel guide claiming a 24 hr gym - it isn't and is only available 7-10pm. Room service was very poor, slow and overpriced. Service was generally ok, but nothing like what you'd expect for the price and image suggested. I won't be rushing back

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 2809GPL
WehManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Dear 2809 GPL,

Thank you for having taken the time to review The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor and thank you for having stayed with us once again on this occasion.

I am most concerned about your experience of our hotel and I am sorry that I did not have the opportunity of resolving the issues mentioned in your review to your full satisfaction prior to your departure. I would urge you to please contact me directly at joseph_downing@doylecollection.com to discuss your stay in more detail.
I look forward to hearing from you and ensuring you are retained as a customer of The Westbury Hotel's.

Thank you once again for your comments and your custom.

Best regards,