“Christmas Afternoon Tea at The Westbury”
Review of The Westbury

The Westbury
Ranked #7 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Christmas Afternoon Tea at The Westbury”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

When I ventured into the Westbury in late November to make a booking for a Christmas afternoon tea treat, the first Saturday available was post-Christmas, Saturday December 28th....the charming wait staff laughed not unkindly with me as we contemplated thoughts of "what recession?!".
Five weeks later, our first foray out of the house since Christmas Day, after a couple of hours of not altogether focused sales shopping we arrived at the hotel. All afternoon we watched as hopeful afternoon tea drinkers without bookings were turned away. Dressed for Christmas, the gracious hotel lobby was warm and welcoming, glamorous and inviting. A selection of families, couples, girlfriends were all ensconced at tables, laden with linen and silver and hatboxes of sweet treats.
A classic afternoon tea cost €42 per afternoon tea and included a selection of 4 sandwiches, a sorbet, scones with jam and cream, 12 pastry treats and coffee or tea. One afternoon tea is more than enough to be shared by two moderately hungry adults. The wait staff were charming and discreet, they managed to sound enthusiastic when explaining each mini course that was coming our way, regardless of the fact that they had probably said the same thing hundreds of times over since the Christmas season began. One tip - I suggest that you ask for them to hold off serving your tea/coffee until they are ready to bring the food, our tea had turned to stew by the time the freshly prepared sandwiches were brought to the table.
The scones were warm and the perfect petite size, the sweet treats were mini works of art, colourful and plentiful, we couldn't finish everything despite our most valiant efforts.
At no stage did we feel rushed or that our table was just part of a long chain of reserved afternoon teas throughout the month of December. Looking around, we could see that all the other diners seemed to be having the same relaxing, enjoyable experience, happy to be out and part of the glamorous scene, inclusive but not intimidating. We lingered, not anxious to leave long after we finished eating and drinking.
I am almost reluctant to recommend this wonderful Christmas afternoon tea experience because it means we will likely have to book in September this year! everyone should go to the Westbury at Christmas, if not for the afternoon tea but to savour the atmosphere and to leave your cares behind even for a few lovely hours with your favourite people.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear D4traveller,

Thank you for taking the time out to leave such a kind review of your recent afternoon tea in The Westbury Hotel.

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the sandwiches, scones and the teas on offer. I will share your comments with the team here and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Thank you for sharing your recommendations with others and may I wish you a very happy New Year.

Vincent O’Gorman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Meadville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at four different 5 star properties during a tour of Ireland and this was our favorite. It is very well located down a side street just steps from wonderful restaurants, pubs and shopping, but you are not disturbed at all by noise or traffic. The rooms are a bit small, but very well maintained, nicely appointed, clean and comfortable. Our only problem was figuring out the lights and not having the proper converter to charge our phones. The hotel loaned us a proper converter and we got the hang of the lights after a couple of days. We had the buffet breakfast most days which included a good offering of traditional breakfast foods in the upstairs restaurant which had large windows looking out over the street. However, the staff is what makes this a 5 star property. They were genuinely interested in assisting us in any way that they could and if one person on the staff was unable to help, they very quickly took us to find someone who could. This was without a doubt the most attentive, friendly and accommodating staff we encountered on our entire tour. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear jaf24,

What a great review thank you for taking the time to tell others about your wonderful stay at The Westbury Hotel.

We are delighted that we were your favourite hotel during your visit to Ireland and that our location worked for you and you managed to get out and enjoy the wonderful shops bars and restaurants that are all within walking distance to our hotel.

Our staff are indeed very passionate and they genuinely care for all our guests and will never hesitate to go that extra mile to assist, I am delighted that they stood out for you during your visit and thank you so much for your recommendations.

I am delighted that you will visit us again and may I wish you a very Happy New Year.

Yours sincerely

Ballycastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

As a post-Christmas treat we decided to go to Dublin for New Year's Eve. We arrived in the early afternoon and from then on it was a lovely experience, even better than I remembered from a few years ago. The car was whisked away on our arrival and returned very promptly on checkout. Checkin and checkout were seamless. All staff were welcoming and helpful.

We had dinner in the Wilde restaurant, it was absolutely delicious. The menu was interesting and different with lots of choice. Breakfast was very good, a great selection on the buffet as well as made to order cooked foods.

Our room was very comfortable and clean. There was no annoying outside noise.

I hope to return again in 2014.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear mmcd22,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your stay with us in December to celebrate New Year.

It was great to read your review and to know that we made your stay so special from the moment you arrived until your departure. I am also delighted that you had a super dining experience and dinner and breakfast exceeded your expectations.

I am thrilled that you plan on coming back to visit us this year and we look forward to having you return and thank you for your continued support which is appreciated.

We appreciate your great recommendations and may I take this opportunity to wish you a Very Happy New Year.

Yours sincerely

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Visited here for weekend over December period . Outstanding service . Welcome note in room and a birthday card for our daughter with little cake treats ! The atmosphere is just wonderful and there is no other way to celebrate a trip to Dublin for a special occasion ( and even if there's no occasion) than to stay at The Westbury hotel . It exudes elegance , charm , warmth and all in the spirit of delightful informality.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear 30Catherine,

Fabulous review! Thank you I am really grateful for your wonderful feedback and thank you for taking the time to tell others about The Westbury Hotel.

I am delighted that we made your stay special and that your daughter was impressed with the treats to help her celebrate her special day.

Your personal recommendation is so important to us, and thank you again for your great review it was a real pleasure to have you with us and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Wishing you a very happy New Year

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My family and I stayed at the Westbury in early July 2013. The location is wonderful, easy to walk to all sorts of restaurants & shops. The staff was great, very attentive to all of our needs and very helpful when trying to figure out the types of tours we wanted to go on in the city. The doormen were also very polite and patient with us when we asked them to take a bunch of pictures! Ha. The bar in the lobby has great drinks, but quite pricey. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. We stayed here for three nights before moving on to the countryside. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for great service in an unbeatable location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Meagan H

Thank you for choosing The Westbury Hotel for your stay in July and for your Trip advisor review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our location, our hotel and the friendliness of our team. We are indeed blessed when it comes to location we are in the heart of all the buzz just off Grafton Street with all the wonderful shops, quant restaurants, cafés and bars which are all within walking distance from our hotel.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back again and thank you for your recommendations and great review.

May I wish you a prosperous New Year.

Cupar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Treat weekend in Dublin, recommended to go for afternoon tea as a lovely experience at The Westbury Hotel.
Not as good as anticipated Im afraid!
I'd printed off info just 2 days before we went to The Westbury, saying champagne afternoon tea was 36 euros.
We booked, welcome was lovely, venue is very relaxing and lovely to look out of the windows........BUT the price had gone up to 48euros for the Xmas special teas!

If you like cakes, its fine, not much savoury content (4 finger sandwiches). Cakes were limited in choice. We'd had afternoon tea at Gleneagles 2 weeks before which had set an excellent benchmark with a real feast for £26 - lots of savouries as well as a huge selection of cakes. Im afraid in comparison, The Westbury was much more expensive, and less choices offered.

Disappointing if planning this as a real treat.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
WehManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Brenda C,

Thank you for having chosen to visit The Gallery at The Westbury Hotel for Afternoon Tea and thank you for having taken the time to review your expereince on Tripadvisor.

I am disappointed to note that you were displeased with our offering on this occasion and that the pricing of our Afternoon Tea did not meet with your approval.
Our pricing structure is clearly advertised on our website, literature and menus and I am concerned about your having sourced inaccurate information on the web.
I am most disappointed that you did not have a truly delightful time in our renowned establishment and I would very much welcome your contacting me directly at joseph_downing@doylecollection.com to discuss your findings in more detail.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and to ensuring your continued custom here at the Westbury Hotel.

Thank you for your attention.

Kind regards,

Joseph Downing
Guest Relations Manager
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I wanted a special weekend away with my husband and the Westbury was the perfect choice. The staff are courteous and extremely professional. Even though it was a busy weekend in the lead up to Christmas and there were many people checking in there was no waiting around. In the evening the bar was packed but the lovely hostess had a table as soon as she found out we were residents...a lovely touch. The location is super. Rooms are small but perfect and I can't wait to stay here again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Pinkydinkyireland

Thank you for your review and I am thrilled that you thought we were fantastic.

I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay including our location, the service from our team, drinks in the bar and our rooms and décor. I will share your comments with the team here and I do hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Thank you again and may I wish you a very Happy New Year.