“Poor start but handled well”
Review of The Westbury

The Westbury
Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Cork, Ireland
“Poor start but handled well”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We had a really disappointing start to our stay in the hotel as we had organised an early midday check-in but when we arrived at 2pm our room wasn't ready. We said that we would go and have some lunch while we waited for a call to let us know the room was ready. They were also aware that we were going out for dinner at 6:30pm as their concierge had booked this for us. We returned at 4pm to be told that our room was now ready even though they never called to let us know. Upon check-in we were presented with a gift voucher for a complimentary dinner or lunch during our 1 night stay. They already knew we were going out for dinner but had failed to let us know of the availability of this lunch voucher before we went and paid for lunch elsewhere. I was annoyed at this and after speaking to one of the managers they did their best to get us a different gift of equal value. A business can always be judged on how well they handle mistakes/confrontation, and I can safely say that the Westbury did a brilliant job at this. The room was lovely, although I don't really like the large soft pillows on the bed as I find they offer no support (that's a personal preference though). The general vibe of the hotel is brilliant. Staff are friendly and incredibly helpful. The breakfast was one of the best I have had for a long time, and the location is fantastic for exploring Dublin. Will definitely return and after speaking to the manager have been assured that all the small details will be looked after

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear BMartin79,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent visit to The Westbury Hotel.

I was frustrated to read of the challenges you experienced during your recent visit and I was really disappointed that you had such a negative start to our visit for what should have been a memorable and enjoyable stay. We strive to achieve the highest standards of service and quality and I was most disheartened to read your review.

However, I was delighted that Joseph our Guest Relations Manager was able to turn the negative into a positive and that we managed to turn things around for you. I am thrilled that overall you had a brilliant time during your visit and that your room was lovely and the staff met your expectations and the general vibe in the hotel was brilliant.

I know that Joseph has reached out to you to make contact on your next visit to us but if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me I will be more than pleased to offer you any assistance.

Once again thank you for bringing your experience to our attention and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Westbury Hotel during 2014.

Yours sincerely

Vincent O’Gorman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
warrenpoint
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights as part of my partners birthday celebrstions. Hazel checked us in and was more than friendly. The room was beautiful and very clean and spacious. Dana turned down the room each evening and was very nice to chat to. Breakfast was really delicious. Thank you Shannon for excellent 5 star service. I liked the fact that the restaurant manager Chris was clearing and resetting tables. He seemed very relaxed with the restaurant team. On checkout Colum was very friendly. We were sad to leave The Westbury. We had a brilliant stay and loved it very much

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Shelly-Ann

We could not ask for a better review, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience and for telling others about your wonderful stay.

I am glad that we managed to tick all the right boxes and that you enjoyed your partner’s birthday celebrations. Our staff are indeed a great asset to the hotel and they will always go the extra mile to make our guest feel special. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and that we made you feel special and overall that you had a brilliant stay
I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon and thank you again for your great review.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The staff was very kind and polite. The room was incredibly comfortable, especially the bed- I wanted to bring that home! The location was great, we walked to a lot of the big sights. It was also a convenient surprise that there were American plugs in the room. I do wish there would have been some meals included, but the teas and coffees provided in the room helped.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Renee W,

I am delighted that you had an excellent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write your review and tell others about your visit.

I am glad that our location worked for you and that you managed to get out and about and visit the many treasures that are all within walking distance from our hotel.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your incredibly comfortable bed so much so that you wanted to take it home and that teas and coffees provided were an added bonus along with the American plug points.

I hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back on your next trip to Dublin.

Sandro Franke
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

The Westbury Hotel is perfectly situated in the center of Dublin.
The hotel is very nice and the service is great. Breakfast is a bit pricy for European standards but fresh and lots of variety. The rooms are very nice and comfortable just the beds are too soft for my taste. There are plugs for all standards, US, Europe and of course local.
I'll come here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sansro_LU,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us while in Dublin on business and thank your for taking the time to write your review.

We are indeed blessed with our great locations which is so convenient for shopping or for browsing the many restaurants and bars which are all within walking distance from our hotel.

I am disappointed that you did not find your bed comfortable and I would like if you can reach out to me when you are next coming to visit us, I am confident that I can rectify this situation for you. I have also noted your comments regarding our breakfast pricing, our breakfast pricing is very much in line with the other five star competitors in the area, I will however continue to monitor all such feedback to ensure we are perceived to offer good value.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to hearing from you when you are next visiting Dublin.

Midlands,Ireland
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I had a romantic Valentine's weekend here with my husband last week and it was an amazing hotel in a fabulous location - right on Grafton St ,so handy for popping to shops or eating out etc.
Staff make everything seem effortless and so welcoming and attentive without being over intrusive. Just right! Room was spotless, peaceful and so comfortable.Lovely chocolate treats and water delivered each night and coffee machine in room was so nice.Bathroom was a bit small and dated but perfectly clean and functional.
Only small gripe was breakfast was just too expensive to justify so we sampled breakfasts in many other nearby locations- (we like value for money!!) Prices otherwise(drinks/dinner etc are perfectly fine and in line with expectations for any 5 star hotel-well worth it for the comfort , luxury and location. Its an ideal romantic break or luxurious treat for shopping with the girls location. Well done all! Keep up the good work!We'll be back soon!

Oh and one other tiny thing! My husband says please change the lobby music before we do come back ! It is not at all relaxing!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MTLMidlands_Ireland

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent Magical Valentines celebrations visit.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the décor and ambience of the hotel and thought the location was perfect for shopping and for browsing the many restaurants and bars that are all located within walking distance.

I am also delighted that our staff stood out and that they managed to exceed your expectations and be on hand to assist you without being over intrusive.

I have however noted your comments regarding our breakfast pricing, our pricing for in room dining and Wilde are very much in line with other five star properties in the area, I will however take your comments on board and will continue to monitor all such customer feedback to ensure we are perceived to offer value.

I am glad that you will come back and visit us again and we look forward to having you as our guest.

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 19 February 2014

January 2014 - The Westbury is definitely the place to stay in Dublin, centrally located, within steps of Trinity College and the main shopping area (Grafton Street). The rooms were beautifully appointed and the front desk staff was amazing, constantly offering us water to take on our journeys and answering any and all questions we may have had. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to everyone. The only complaint I have would be their wait staff in, The Gallery; not very pleasant nor accommodating. Afternoon Tea was a big disappointment.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JenyReg,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay in January.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that our locations worked for you and you managed to get out an about and visit the many lovely areas that are all within walking distance from the hotel. I am also thrilled that our front office team were able to make your stay extra special and that they were on hand to offer you assistance with directions and recommendations.

I am however disappointed that you were not made to feel welcome on The Gallery and that you did not enjoy Afternoon Tea. This is simply not good enough as we want to exceed every guests’ expectations and deliver unparalleled service experiences that evolve into long term relationships with our customers. We clearly did not manage to do this and I wish to apologise unreservedly for not looking after you whilst in our care.

I will digest every aspect of your feedback with my team and can assure you we will firstly learn from your experience and secondly make concerted decisions with appropriate actions to ensure we close the service and standards gaps you highlighted.

I hope that this will not deter your from visiting us in the future and I hope you will give us the opportunity to showcase the high standards of service we strive to achieve.

With renewed apologies.

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 16 February 2014

"Stayed here with my boyfriend over Valentine's weekend & honestly can't speak highly enough of the hotel and in particular the staff. From the friendly welcome upon checking-in, to the fabulous room complete with hand-made Irish chocolates, to the sumptuous 3 course dinner & a breakfast feast fit for a queen the following morning. While the hotel itself is beautiful, the staff really are the crown jewel here - Daniel, the restaurant manager when we had dinner - couldn't do enough for us and was fantastic when I informed him that I'm both gluten free and lactose intolerant. I had my choice of courses & they worked around me throughout the meal. The finishing touch was the chocolate covered strawberries after dessert - which were dipped in gluten free chocolate so I could have them as well. Would highly recommend a stay here and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Ali3084
Dear Ali3084.

We could not ask for a better review, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience and for telling others about our beautiful tranquil and elegant hotel.

I am glad that we managed to tick all the right boxes and that you enjoyed your Valentine’s celebrations. Our staff are indeed a great asset to the hotel and they will always go the extra mile to make our guest feel special. I am delighted that you enjoyed the little special treats of chocolate and that that Daniel was able to facilitate your dietary requirements.