“Disappointed- location saving grace”
Review of The Westbury

The Westbury
Ranked #7 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Service- excellent but the waiter Juan [---] let the over all standard of service down at breakfast.
Breakfast- nicely presented limited standard choice. Toast arrived burnt and with out butter about 10 mins before cooked breakfast. Eggs Benedict was not edible. Ordered two coffee got one tea and one coffee.
Biggest let down was the very very DIRTY HIGHCHAIR. When I asked for another I was told that was all they had which leads me to believe that they were all as dirty as each other. I could not put my child in it.
Room- although clean I found a little dated and basic. Problem with sound on T.V. Asked for mini bar to be emptied for the storage of medication, the fridge was emptied but was warm and therefore useless. A small portable one was provided and was not fit for purpose. Relied on ice packs to ensure safe and stable storage.
Overall service good. Bed comfortable but small. Carpet clean. Great location for shopping.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Silenone.

I am bitterly disappointed to read your recent review and want to start by apologizing unreservedly for failing to deliver the high standards of service and standards we set for ourselves and clearly failing to meet and exceed your expectations.

I shall personally be addressing our shortfalls namely the standards and service at breakfast, mini bar television and of course the baby highchair. I hope you will accept my personal assurance that your experience is not indicative of the high service levels we strive to and do achieve so consistently. I can assure you that we will use your feedback to close these gaps in our service as a matter of the utmost priority.

Whilst I am deeply sorry that your stay did not reflect our service ethos, your feedback does serve as a necessary and timely reminder to me and my team that our efforts to create and maintain memorable and exceptional service experiences are only as good as our last guests’ stay and will ensure we stay totally focused on continually improving.

I hope we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again and I hope you will give us the opportunity to showcase the high standards of service we strive to achieve.

With renewed apologies

Vincent O'Gorman
general Manager

Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Westbury Hotel is conveniently located in downtown Dublin just off Grafton Street. If you look on Bing or Google Maps, note that they don’t have it in the correct location. It is indeed off of Grafton and not on Grafton Street. You can find it tucked into the corner of Balff and Harry Streets.

The Westbury is an upper end hotel in a fantastic location with great amenities. I stayed for a week on business in a room with a single king size bed. The room had heat and A/C, a flat screen TV with movie options, a decent size desk, small table with two chairs, minibar, tea kettle, coffee maker, selection of teas and coffees, full size bathtub with shower and heated towel rack. Other amenities included:

• Hair dryer and makeup mirror
• Shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and body wash
• Robes and slippers
• Iron and board
• Shoe shine and sewing repair kit

The room was very clean and fairly quiet with noise from other guests coming from the hall almost non-existent. My colleague, who had a same class of room, and I both had the same impression about the mattresses. It was comfortable enough but had a significant divot on one side from previous guests and probably should be replaced.

There was access to free (and fast) wifi as well as ports where you could plug in if you wanted to use a Cat5 connection. The room also had UK plug formats but there was one US plug format near the desk. Better to bring a plug adapter.

The hotel has a large lobby where you could dine or just sit and have a drink. They also have a restaurant this is open daily for breakfast seating and only open for dinner seating on the weekend. Service at the hotel was exceptional. I was asked by several people upon checkin if I needed help with my bags and they checkin process was very efficient. At checkin, I was also given the option of getting a choice of two newspapers delivered to the room daily. Nice touch! I did have a small issue with the lock on my door. They didn’t manage to get it fully fixed during my visit but it wasn’t for lack of trying. I also had an issue with an odd buzzing sound coming from a panel in the ceiling. It happened occasionally and once again they tried to get it fixed and although it was better by the time I left, it never did get fully resolved.

We had breakfast daily in the hotel restaurant and the menu offered a good mix of items. The continental breakfast was exceptional and the a la carte options were excellent.

The location really can’t be beat. Lots of shopping and restaurants and pubs of all kind on Grafton Street and in the area. A 5 minute walk up Grafton brings you to St. Stephen’s Green, a large park. Also beside the park is the start of one of the LUAS tram lines. A 15 minute walk the other direction takes you to the shores of the Liffey, Temple Bar area and another LUAS line.

Business will bring me back to Dublin several more times and I am looking forward to my next
stay.

Room Tip: Getting a room facing the back of the building is a little bit quieter but not significantly so.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Eric V,

Thank you for your detailed review following your visit to us.

I am glad that you had such a good time and that you enjoyed our service and amenities and especially our location which is indeed so central to all the many shops, bars restaurants and the wonderful Saint Stephen’s Green Park which is a terrific place to go for a stroll or just to sit and watch the world go by. I am glad that you had the time to visit this wonderful oasis tucked away on the green.

I am disappointed that your bed was not comfortable and I will address this immediately as a matter of urgency. Our sole aim is to deliver genuine, personalized service experiences that will hopefully make long term patrons out of all our guests, your feedback is encouraging but also clearly confirms how important that feeling of belonging is to guests. I am very fortunate to be surrounded by a wonderful team who love what they do which I firmly believe make all the difference.

I am very grateful for your review and also that you intend coming back to visit us again and I would really enjoy meeting you when you are next with us.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We booked in for a lovely high tea after shopping. All the members off staff where very helpful and friendly especially Colm and Valentino. We had a great view onto Grafton street in a beautiful relaxed seating area,we enjoyed every asplex of the food from the sandwiches to the sweet treats, it was a lovely end to great day, can't wait to go back !!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Lorna C

I am delighted that you enjoyed our scrumptious Afternoon Tea and that you had time to sit and relax and let the world go by. I am glad that you were impressed with our location and that all of our staff were able to assist you and make your visit a memorable occasion.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again and thanks for taking the time to write your great review.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

My boyfriend recently surprised me with a weekend to Dublin and a stay in the Westbury. I would recommend it to anyone who loves a comfortable classy weekend away! Right in the centre of everything! We were greeted by the lovely Rachel who was so helpful and friendly. She recommended the most scrumptious tapas restaurant!! Our room was fab! So plush and clean! Will definitely be back again!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Niomi M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that we exceeded your expectations. I am glad that Rachel was able to assist you and thank you for recognising her.

I am pleased that you will return to us for another visit and thank you for your recommendations.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great location,great comfort,if I had one thing to say it would be that the bar staff were very stand offish and reluctant to accommodate your needs as the night got young.(around 11.15).otherwise great hotel and would return again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Olga C,

Thank you for your review following your visit to us recently.

I am glad that you were impressed with the ambiance and location of our hotel but I am sorry that you were disappointed with some service aspects in the bar. I would like to assure you that this is far from the standards we aspire to and I will take your comments on board and deal with them as a matter of urgency.

I hope that this indecent would not deter your from visiting us in the future and I look forward, hopefully, to welcoming you back during 2014.

Regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed there for one night for business. Room was really nice and staff was friendly.

However, I was a bit dissatisfied because: Toilet flush was not working, lights difficult to switch off (main switch does not operate all lights, other switches difficult to find), Nespresso coffee machine was not working properly and TV set had big pixel errors (square shaped, 1x1 cm). I'd say, the hotel's high ambition was not fully met in my case.

My colleagues reported they were satisfied with their rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Business T,

Thank you for writing your review on trip advisor following your recent stay at The Westbury Hotel.

Whilst I am terribly disappointed to read your review, I am still thankful for your feedback and can assure you we take your comments incredibly seriously. Our aim is to exceed all our guests’ expectations and deliver unparalleled service experiences that evolve into long term relationships with our customers. We clearly did not manage to do this and I wish to apologise unreservedly for not looking after you whilst in our care. I will digest every aspect of your feedback with my team and can assure you we will firstly learn from your experience and secondly make concerted decisions with appropriate actions to ensure we close the service gaps you highlighted. I hope that the incidents you experienced would not deter you from returning to us and I would be most appreciative if you would get in touch with me at when you are next travelling to Dublin so as to give me the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you will give us the opportunity to showcase the high standards of service we strive to achieve.

With renewed apologies,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Great experience at the Westbury. From the moment we checked in the staff made us feel welcome and whatever we needed they got for us. The rooms were well-appointed but not gigantic for a standard queen-sized bed. You're not going to get scenic views of Ireland but the fact that you're right next to Grafton street is worth the price of admission. There are plenty of shops/restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Andrew J,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip advisor following your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled that you had an anjoyable stay with us and that our location was suitable for you for visiting the many amenities that are all so close by.

I hope that you come and visit us again soon and thanks for your review. I look forward to welcoming you back again.