“Great Surprise”

Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Geneve
“Great Surprise”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

First time in Dublin. Difficult to find by road as it is in the deep center of the city: walk only area.
However the room where big, nice, clean. Located very well, and quet, and the staff absolutely perfect.
Will get defitively back

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Alessandro D
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review following your first visit to Dublin and for taking the time to tell other about your experience with us.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am genuinely thrilled that you thought the experience was so good and thank you for your recommendation to other travellers.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to what I hope is now your home away from home in Dublin.

Best wishes

Vincent O’Gorman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Dublin 6w
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The service from all staff at The Westbury was five star from reservation to check out - nothing was too much trouble and all with a friendly smile. The hotel is fantastically located just off Grafton St and we loved our room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted following your recent visit to us and for taking the time to tell other about your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to enjoy the facilities and amazing service here at The Westbury Hotel.

Thanking you again.

Amman
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Friendly staff, helpful and cheerful. Location is excellent for shopping, restaurants and pubs. Taxis always available and presentable. Lobby very , very nice , rich furniture, and quite accommodating . Free internet and drinking water .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled that you had such a great time when you visited us recently and thank you for you’re wonderful review.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and I am genuinely thrilled that you thought the experience was so good and thank you for your recommendation to other travellers.

Thank you for choosing us and I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Calif
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Having stayed at the Westbury Hotel, I believe it has to be one of the best located hotels in the Dublin city centre. It is commensurate with other Leading Hotels of the World (all five star properties), in terms of both service and decor (as well as amenities), yet not in terms of price. Even taking into account the somewhat miserable Euro/U.S. dollar exchange rate, the Westbury, while pricey, is a better value than other five stars I have stayed at in other countries.

The rooms are lovely, with quality linens and elegant but contemporary decor. The bathroom is clean and modern. I was upgraded-twice!-to an awesome, spacious suite (don't expect or demand this as hotels upgrade based on availability and/or loyalty programs, etc; many hotels don't upgrade). This was done by the nicest, most professional manager I've met in my travels-Joseph Downing, guest relations manager. He, as well as all staff encountered, was friendly and gracious. I was even given an ice pack for my back while I had delicious tea and scones (I regret not having the full tea- it is supposed to be wonderful-but had already pigged out on one in London!).

If you get a chance to stay at The Westbury, Dublin, I would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank zimmchiro
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the absolutely wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Westbury Hotel. I must say we get a great “buzz” when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Vincent O'Gorman
Cape Town
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I was looking forward to treating myself to a luxury weekend at a 5 star hotel in the middle of the city. I had visions of a large comfortable room with all the little lovely extras of other five star hotels I have stayed in – one of my favorites being the Merrion ( who were full that weekend).

I was greatly disappointed. All the rooms in this hotel are in need of a major refurbishment. At nearly Euro 300 per night one would expect a certain standard of accommodation. This was sadly lacking in all aspects except a good bed and a nice view. The double room was small, the windows were dirty, the furniture extremely tired looking. The dark somber woodwork was chipped, the ice bucket was tarnished and there were no shelves for one’s clothes.

The small fridge was poorly stocked and one could not accommodate a jug of fresh milk which I had to request so that I could enjoy a cup of tea. They had those awful little milk punnets you get in 2 and 3 star hotels. The coffee machine did not work properly.

The bathroom was tiny with ( horrors!) a shower over the narrow bath which is my pet hate.

I went to have a look at the Deluxe Room ( I had the standard Superior Room) and it was huge- drab looking with again a tiny bathroom with a shower over the bath!

So here are the positives: The place is very central and just off Grafton street very convenient. The lounge area is lovely and large- has lots of atmosphere and the service is somewhat slow but very friendly. There is a charming bar off the lounge which can get very full over tea time where the public come for their famous ‘high tea’ which looked inviting. There is also a coffee bar/ light meal restaurant on the street level next to the main entrance. It is very light and airy with very friendly service. The cups are a bit small and the coffee slightly too bitter for my taste, but a good enough place to have a light breakfast or lunch. I did not taste the food however so cannot comment on that.

The staff at this hotel are all very professional , warm, friendly and helpful especially the Assistant Director of Sales, Ken Lyons who could not do enough for me when I complained bitterly about the room as well as Guest Relations, Lindsay White, from a free glass of wine , coffee to a late checkout. Kudos to them for trying to please me as best they could and to make my stay more pleasant. However the fact remains that this hotel is overpriced and just NOT up to standard. I certainly would not stay here again until they have refurbished the place!

Room Tip: Beware rooms overlooking the front entrance if you want to have open windows as it noise and music e...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Tripper032
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us.

I am incredibly sorry and disappointed that you felt your stay was not up to our usual high standards. May I start by apologizing unreservedly for failing to meet your expectations, it is unacceptable and I can assure you we take your feedback very seriously indeed. I will review the points you have raised with the wider management team here at the Hotel and address them accordingly.

I know that Ken and Lindsey have reached out to you and I hope that you will give us another opportunity, at some point in the future, to show you the high standards of service we can and do deliver.

Thank you again for your review and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westbury again.

With renewed apologies,

Vincent O'Gorman
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We would never stay anywhere else in Dublin. What a lovely hotel, on the best street in Dublin. Close to St. Stephen's Green, and Trinity College. A very safe area, and right off of Grafton Street. The hotel is very clean, safe, and away from the rowdy parts of Dublin. Would definitely stay here again, and have recommended it to friends.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking Grafton Street
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarahmurphy7
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted that you had such a great time while visiting us recently.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and I am genuinely thrilled that you thought the experience was so good and thank you for rating us as the Best Hotel in Dublin.

I hope to welcome you back very soon and thank you for your recommendations.

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My stay at the Westbury was exceptional! Every small detail was taken care off (We even got some birthday chocolates & a handwritten card)! Staff were extremely pleasant and professional.

The room was modern, clean and comfortable, and the bathroom was impeccably designed. The minibar was big enough to stash two bottles of wine also!

But most of all, the location is brilliant. The ability to step out of the hotel straight onto Grafton Street was extremely handy. Although expensive, a stay at the Westbury is a great treat and my experience was perfect!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review following your recent visit to The Westbury and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are truly honoured that you chose to spend your special celebrations with us and congratulations on your recent birthday. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and thank you great review.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.