“Very good hotel - excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Westbury

The Westbury
Ranked #7 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Very good hotel - excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Hosted a major event here last year and have only got around now to reviewing the hotel.

Staff were excellent and rooms, food and hotel professionalism was greatly appreciated.

Can recommend this for business and pleasure as it's very well located.

(The only off putting aspect concerning location is its proximity to city centre pubs, as some patrons may find this a little intimidating.)

Room Tip: Look for a room overlooking Clarendon Street as this is the less noisy of the surrounding streets.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you with us, thank you for choosing the Westbury for your event in Dublin.

I am thrilled you enjoyed the experience and very happy that you not only found our location and overall ambience ideal, but also thought my team were courteous, friendly and helpful throughout. I have passed your kind comments on to the team to enjoy and thank your for your kind words.

I hope that you come back to visit us again.

Vincent O’ Gorman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Christchurch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

The hotel is in the middle of town so you don't need a car to get around. Exceptional service was provided by every staff member we met. Lovely room everything you could possible want. We had a nice view down the main street.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay in The Westbury Hotel.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and I am particularly pleased that our staff and the service you received was a real highlight during your stay. Your kind words serve as a wonderful motivator for us and the team here will be delighted to read your kind comments.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and thank you for choosing us for your Dublin stay.

Kind regards,

Marseille, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Unfortunately my guest experience of 6 nights in the westbury hotel is very bad, because of the way we have been treated. First, I would like to precise we did not reserve our trip on a booking site. At our arrival, we have been asked to give our credit card for a pre-authorization, which is very normal, but the woman at the front desk took the card, and took note of the three numbers on the back of the card!! Without our authorization!! We gave our card, trusting her, and she took note of the three numbers! The procedure of pre-authorization supposedly did not work (but we think it is wrong, and asked our banker, who confirm our credit card is working well), and we finally had to pay half of the sum.
On our last day we came on the front desk to pay the rest of which was due, and how badly surprised we were to find that 207€ have been took on our credit card…without our authorization! We did not, at any time, give to this woman, or nobody else, the authorization of taking some money directly on our credit card without us being in the front desk to tape our code! It completely is an illegal procedure ! It ruined our trip in Dublin!
This hotel, in the advertisement, speaks about “personal relationships and trust”, supposedly “building it business”… I have never read such a wrong ad!
I travel for many years, I have been in many countries…and it’s the first time I am so badly disappointed with the way I am treated in a hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
21 Thank sinssy
Berkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

From the moment you arrive until the time of departure, you will experience excellent treatment.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to feel valued and it's convenient for shopping, restaurant and bars.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank AnnieMiddlesex
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Dublin and I appreciate the time you took to post your review.

I am delignted that you enjoyed your visit and that our service was excellent. I do hope that you come back again soon. Thank you again for your review.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I just finished a 7 night stay at the Westbury, the first 4 days on business and the rest on holiday. From check-in to check-out the staff could not have been more helpful. The room was clean and the turndown service was great. The complimentary wifi was reasonably fast and reliable without the hassles or daily registration some hotels subject you to. The concierge gave some spot on restaurant recommendations. The breakfast included with my rate offered a wide selection for a good value. Needing a break from Guinness, on the last night I discovered the Marble Bar on the lobby level, which served up excellent cocktails. I'd like to give a special shout out to Sean who seemed to work just about every job in the lobby at some point during my stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom K
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you with us, thank you for choosing the Westbury for your business and holiday trip.

I am thrilled you enjoyed the experience and very happy that you not only found our location and overall ambience ideal, but also thought my team were courteous, friendly and helpful throughout. I have passed your kind comments on to Sean and he is thrilled that you mentioned him, thank you.

I hope that you come back to visit us again and thank your for the lovely review.

Vincent O’ Gorman
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Westbury Hotel is a welcoming and comfortable hotel with accommodating and friendly staff. It is located in the city centre, about 30 minutes taxi drive from Dublin Airport.

It is wonderfully located in the centre of Dublin, with most sights and shopping just minutes away (by foot). It's not the sort of hotel you'd go to for beautiful window views, but it's great to see Dublin city in just a few days and for shopping (it's just off Grafton Street, one of Dublin's more pricey shopping areas).

The staff are friendly and accommodating, but the rooms are a bit too standard to really call it a boutique hotel or to have that waw-factor. The food is excellent and affordable, though the Wilde Restaurant was absolutely deserted at dinner time during my stay (Wednesday evening).

All in all I would recommend this hotel for sheer convenience and comfort, despite being in a more expensive price bracket. Only minor disappointments were the slightly outdated or unimaginative interior (complete with sticky doors and drawers) and technology (phones, television ("multimedia centre" - not really) and worthless hairdryer).

Few interesting points:
Rooms are air-conditioned (easily adjustable)
No balconies - windows open slightly
Sound insulation nearly nonexistent, despite claims of extra noise reduction (if you are a light sleeper, best to ask for a more isolated room)
Complementary wifi, newspaper and bottled water.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room on the front side (facing Grafton St), views from the back a bit...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our location which is so central and within walking distrance to the many shops, coffee houses, restaurants and bars. I am also delighted that our service and the friendluness of our staff stood out as a real positive.

I regret that you had a number of issues in your room and I would like to assure you that we have rigorous maintenance and product integrity systems in place which would normally flag up any anomalies in our product and I can only assume this was a very unusual oversight on our part. I sincerely regret if you were inconvenienced in any way and can assure you that this is most certainly not the high standards we set for ourselves in terms of our bedroom product.

Despite the difficulties that you experienced I am delighted that you recommend us and will return and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The best thing about the hotel is the location. Very central and within walking distance to most attractions. The room is definitely luxurious with great sheets and pillows - a bonus after travelling over 24 hours. The concierge and housekeeping are great however the staff at checkin weren't overly friendly which was disappointing. Didn't eat at the hotel as a bit pricey. Would stay again if I could get a deal or promotional rate as when travelling solo it can add up. Loved that it was close to the airport bus also, it made it very easy to get from airport to hotel

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank gd32
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you with us, thank you for choosing to stay wuth us on your recent visit to Dublin.

I am thrilled you enjoyed the experience and very happy that you found our location ideal for visiting the many hot spots around the area. I am thrilled that the team were courteous, friendly and helpful throughout your stay however I have noted your comments regarding the welcome you received, this I will address as a matter of urgency.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again on your next trip to Dublin.