“Location Location Location”
Review of The Westbury

The Westbury
Ranked #7 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Have stayed in many Dublin hotels, and being a native I can't rate this hotel high enough, I have styed there many times. It's directly off Grafton Street ( all main shops including design,er shops and Brown Thomas). Thousands of places to eat within five minutes walk. Great Hairdressers and fashion and beauty boutiques in the Westbury Mall , which is attached to the Hotel. Rooms very clean and spacious. Food fab, brekfast great also, but if you want something cheaper, there are many cafes etc on grafton street and lots of night life, bars, clubs everything you could want in a city break and if you go online and join the leading hotels of the world, www.lhw.com , the westbury is a member and if you book through this website and use your membership number you will definitely get an upgrade or something nice upon arrival.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank A140
WehManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear A140

Thank you for having chosen to stay at The Westbury Hotel Dublin and thank you for having taken the time to review your experience of our renowned establishment on Tripadvisor.
Your opinion is important to us and your feedback is most appreciated indeed.
Comments from our guests allow us to carefully monitor and ensure the very best of standards associated with those of Leading Hotels Of The World.
I do hope that it will not be too long before I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Westbury Hotel and thank you once again for your comments and custom.

Reviewed 30 June 2009

I stayed here with my partner towards the end of June (for the Oasis concert). Having found a rate that was equivalent to many 3* hotels in Dublin, we jumped at the chance to stay here.

When we first arrived, the staff were very helpful in resolving a problem with our reservation, and seemed to go out of their way to assist us, and make us feel welcome.

The room was beautifully decorated, and facilitated. We had only a slight problem for half of a day with the wi-fi connection, as they were trying to roll it out to use in every room.

But we could barely find a fault with our experience. The only thing I can agree with TheMummykins review, below, is the absence of enough mugs/cups for the coffee machine - but hardly anything to get stressed over - a quick call to room service resolved the issue!

The location could barely be bettered - right in the centre of the shopping, and eating / drinking districts, without obtrusive noise pollution.

The Westbury comes highly recommended as far as we are concerned, and frequent travellers we are, at that.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMReynolds

Dear JMReynolds

Reviewed 24 June 2009

Excellent location. Tip: on booking in ask for kettle for tea and coffee making, they have them for every room but for some reason reception wont offer them. The room and bathroom were clean and nice, beds comfortable. The coffee machine was rubbish, you are given one cup and one small cup, two milks and six coffee of 3 different types, there were two of us, who gets the small cup? Cleaners took cups away then replacements came later in the day, had to phone room service every day for milk and reasonable size cups, it wasnt until our last day that the room service man told us we could have a kettle and brought it for us. Ordered a free paper, never got one delivered, told concierge who waved at pile of papers and said sarcasticly - take two. Still didnt get one delivered. The breakfast was good but while we were at breakfast, the maid cleaned our room, helped herself to a M&S carrier bag that was with our personal possessions and lined the bin with it. That bag cost us 5cents!!!! The bin was not lined at any other time. In our room on our last afternoon, quick knock, door opens, mans head pokes in, oops sorry out again. Two minutes later same again, woman peeps in. We could have been dancing naked for all they knew. Went out to find out what was going on, telephone engineers apparently. Told all our troubles to the accommodation manager, Marion, who was very apologetic and gave my friend and I a nice box of chocolates for all the aggravation. Finally got a paper the very last morning as we were leaving. The concierge of the day, took our luggage and said he would bring it down to the taxi when we had checked out. He then gave us the third degree over what taxi we were getting, we had arranged the taxi the previous day. Wanted to know the sort of car, the name of the driver, where we got him!!! What business was it of his?? Then I had to run back up the stairs for our luggage as he still hadnt brought it down, he wasnt exactly overwhelmed at 6.45 am. Some of the pages were missing in the information book in the room, although told concierge, still didnt get them until the day before we left when everything else got sorted. No information as to where the computer was that we could use to check in at the airport, this was also sorted by the accomodation manager that last afternoon. This hotel could be great, really good location, nice rooms and lounges, tea far too pricey for a few cakes. It is so obviously aimed at business bookings, other visitors seem to be treated badly. Unhelpful reception and concierge staff who certainly never got a tip!!! Hotel is 5 star, staff apart from two exceptions - 0 stars. This experience felt like Fawlty Towers.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends

Dear The Mummykins

Reviewed 24 June 2009

My friends and I decided to treat ourselves and stay in the Westbury for the weekend of the Take That concert. We live in Kildare so it was a bit of an extravegence but turned out to be worth every penny in the end.

We checked in quickly and effciently and our rooms were fantastic with lovely touches like the funky coffee machines. We didnt eat here as there is so much of a selection on your doorstep but the atmosphere and ambience in the Gallery and the bar is just lovely. You have to try one of their cocktails. Great girly fun weekend. So much so I am going back in 2 weeks with my partner to have a different experience. Hopefully it will be as enjoyable!

Dear sweetsal

Reviewed 23 June 2009

I am glad I stayed here overall, but there are a few things that bothered me about this hotel. In general, it was good. The service was great, and they went out of their way to fix a small mechanical issue in my room (and did it within 2 minutes). Then, the manager called to ask if anything could be done to make it up to me, but I didn't even think it was a big deal. The concierge staff are all very friendly and helped me find about 100 things to do during my short trip. So, this hotel gets very high marks for service.

Some of the issues are minor but here were my small pet peeves: The shower doesn't really have any water pressure, and it has no curtain or full door. There's just a piece of glass over 1/2 of the length of the tub & feels awkward. There is a lot more noise when you are in your room than I expected (from inside the hotel - not the view - which was the back side anyway). They have a phone in the elevator lobby that (I think?) rings for housekeeping on each floor. It is *very* loud and rings a lot. If you are close to this phone, it will get on your nerves by the 3rd day. I could also hear my neighbor's TV until 2 AM a few times. It wasn't even loud or I would've called the front desk. It was very quiet, but they mounted new plasma TVs on walls that were built a long long time ago & not meant to buffer that noise. The food prices are way out of wack with the room prices. My breakfast was like 35 euro for a tiny bowl of oatmeal and some eggs. Well, then again, no hotel has restaurant prices that change like their room prices...so I guess that's normal. Most days, I didn't eat there anyway. The hotel internet is slow, and I could not use Skype to call out or to receive calls. However, the internet was free...so I guess it was a trade-off.

The lobby is beautiful and the hotel sort of has a more formal feeling to it. Most people in the lobby are in sport jackets, seem to be there on business, or seem to be having drinks. I was in tourist-mode (and dressed like I was going hiking every day), so I certainly did not fit in. I was actually surprised how formal it felt given the cheap rate I was paying (much less than the nearest competitor).

If I came back, I'd still stay here because of 1. the value 2. how comfortable the rooms were & 3. how nice the staff was. I'd just be asked to stay far away from that annoying hallway / elevator lobby phone.

Dear latesso

Reviewed 23 June 2009

The service,the staff,the location are all perfect.We were on a three night stay and could not fault it one bit.There are two great pubs out the front and we were over looking them,but we could not hear a thing in our room.The hotel is 30 yards from the main shopping street and the Brown Thomas department store.Loads of bars,eating places,five minute walk to temple bar and close to St.Stephens park.Like i said COULD NOT FIND A FAULT ps.the hotel manager is called Joseph,and he is a very genuine and plesant person who would go out of his way(like the rest of his staff) to make your stay very enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear nobby329

Reviewed 22 June 2009

We arrived on the 12th of Juneand on arrival were told that our room was not ready.This was despite being told that we could check in at 2 pm.We were told to come back in an hour and on doing so we were told again there was no room ready.It was only after stressing our displeasure that one suddenly became available..The reception staff were dismissive and blamed a busy weekend.No excuse from a 5 star hotel.We also had to ring room service 4 times to try and get them to come to our room and to top it all there was cobwebs in our room.All in all not a great stay!

Dear skybluestu