“m mull”
Review of The Leeson Hotel

The Leeson Hotel
Ranked #114 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is definitely one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Smelled like a sewer when you walked in. Room door stuck, bathroom door wouldn't close & bathroom ceiling covered in mould. The carpet in reception was filthy & the room was tiny. Very overpriced for what you get .Bad value &I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! Reception dull& smelly with stains on carpet! Made to pay in full before given the room key! The room was not clean. There was a stain on the ceiling & disgusting stain on spare duvet in the wardrobe ( I have attached photos)! When I emptied the sink in the bathroom, water gurgled & came up through the shower plug hole & smelled of sewers! The toilet cistern didn't refill when flushed. When I complained, I was told it would be the day we were checking out before a plumber could come! Also, there is a nightclub at the back if the hotel so you'll not get any sleep either! Breakfast- poor!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Clickyvicky
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Spent two nights here, 31st Aug to 1st Sept '12.
Not the best hotel in the world but not the worst. The room was small but clean with fresh bedding both days on a very comfortable bed. The en suite was adequate and spotless white towels. I booked it through hotels 4 U, who are brilliant and cheaper then the room rate. if you want a big room like the Sheridan, book the Sheridan. if you want to run round the bathroom like in the Conrad...stay in the Conrad, but you won't do either for £126 for two nights for two people.
The hotel is 200 yards from St Stephens Green and then Grafton street and down to O'Connell Street. What more do you want?
The breakfast is only continental but choice of Cornflakes, rice crispies or muesli. Fresh orange or cranberry juice. Fresh brown or white bread with lots of jams and marmalade. Two cheeses and ham, tea or coffee. Do well! A full Irish can be had for 6.95 euros.
If you come out and turn right there is a great bar just over the canal on the left. Music and great Guinness. And was packed to the rafters with about 60 on the foot path too.
If you don't spend all day in the hotel, but go out to explore Dublin this hotel will do.
It is what it is. A clean room and shower for a decent price.

Room Tip: Get out of the room until you need to sleep and enjoy the craic and Guinness in Dublin.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kem777
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Having read some of the negative comments prior to my stay at the Leeson Hotel I was a bit concerned. However, my fears were unfounded as the place was far better than I expected. The rooms were very clean and beds comfortable. The en suite facilities were excellent. Our rooms were cleaned and towels changed everyday. Yes the TV was small but it had a good selection of channels. Anyway who goes to a great city like Dublin to sit in your room and watch TV. We stayed for 3 nights ( Sat, Sun, Mon) at the end of July and the issue of excessive noise did not arise. The Hotel is ideally situated for all the main attractions in Dublin and is exceptional value for money.
So my advice to people reading these reviews is please ignore the moaners and have a great time at the Leeson.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tom C
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I recently stayed here for two nights during a weekend get away trip.
The location is very good, about 5 mins walk from St Stevens Green which is a lovely park, walking through the park to the other side brings you out at the top of Grafton Street which is the top of the 'commercial' type high street, and then on from there to lots of other interesting places in Dublin, its probably about 20 mins walk to Temple Bar.

The hotel itself, well, in my opinion you get what you pay for. I read a lot of comments on here after I had booked so I had almost resigned myself as to what to expect on arrival so it wasn't too much of a surprise/disappointment, but like others have said the photos on their website do make it look a lot nicer than it actually is. The communal areas are very dated and much in need of refurbishment. Some of the wall paper is peeling away from the corridors, dirty skirting/walls, dim/gloomy lighting and it needs a good clean and paint. The room itself (I had a twin room), was ok for my stop-over needs, but again, in need of cleaning and modernising. There was dirt and mould in the bathroom (on the ceiling, around the fitttings etc), reminded me of my student housing days. The breakfast is very basic, totally help yourself (including having to toast your own bread!), consists of toast, cereal and continental hams etc with a selection of juices and tea/coffee. The staff are friendly enough, mostly eastern european/russian at a guess, and just leave you to your own devices and seem happy enough when all you want it to get your key or give the key back.

I read comments on here about the nightclub/bar underneath, I stayed on a Saturday night and it must have been closed as I did not hear any noise.

To sum up, if you just want somewhere cheap to lay your head for the night, no frills, and you're not bothered about the cleanliness and decor then you should be ok. If you prefer somewhere a bit more up market, cleaner, and somewhere bright and friendly where you are made to feel welcome, then pay a bit more and look elsewhere. I was travelling solo so it didn't bother me too much, but its not the sort of place I'd bring a girlfriend for a romantic weekend away.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Yooster
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We were looking for a budget hotel that was central: this came out very cheap on late bookings.com and we have no regrets. However, there are steps to climb to get into the front door and there are few frills. But the room was clean and surprisingly well insulated from traffic noise ( triple glazed window). I guess you get what you pay for here and we have no complaints. Continental breakfast was more than adequate, but someone ought to put up instructions on how to work the Duallit toaster! I made toast for all. If you only want somewhere to sleep and a well placed central base this does the job well. The lift is minute, btw: a challenge for two with baggage! We'd go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I booked this Hotel as it was conveniently located for the National Concert Hall however I wouldn't have done so if I had read the negative reports and seen the pictures of dirt/mould before doing booking and I'm glad I didn't. I've stayed in a lot of Hotels and B&Bs and this is nowhere near as bad as what people are claiming it to be. Okay the decor may be a little dated but this adds charm and I can safely say the room I stayed in (room 23) didn't look anything like those of the pictures? The room was spacious, the double bed was large and comfy, the shower was a little small but served its purpose and the shower gels provided smelt really nice considering I usually use my own also there is tea/coffee facilities provided in your rooms. The room was cleaned, the bed was made every day and the 2 girls who work the reception where both really nice too. I can't comment on the breakfast as I opted to eat out as it's only a shortish walk to Bewleys. This is a GOOD budget hotel and when I re-visit I will probably stay here again. 4/5

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo