“Enjoyable stay”

Sandymount Hotel
Ranked #25 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here for the second time. Rooms are a decent size and bathrooms have shower, bath, etc. tea/coffee in rooms and wifi via bitbuzz vouchers, which works just fine.
Across from Aviva stadium and a short walk to Sandymount green (Mulligans great pub and good food) or Ballsbridge.
Nice enough hotel, no frills, but then again you're not paying normal high Dublin prices. Would stay here again for the value for money.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sandymount_Hotel, Owner at Sandymount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your review.

Ciaran Mulligan lives beside the hotel and owns a great pub. He always looks after our guests.

We look forward to having you with us on your next visit to Dublin.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was able to be pampered by the incredible staff for almost 2 weeks. The hotel is lovely, quaint, charming and quiet. The staff are attentive and so helpful. Delicious meals and drinks and impeccably clean rooms rounded out my experience. It's obvious that this is a family business because everyone is committed to doing their best for the owners and guests. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Because of the quiet neighborhood I think all rooms are fine. Each room seems to have its own perso...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JuliaGulia1952

Dear Julia,

Thank you for your kind review.

We are proud to be one of the last remaining family hotels in Dublin, and it is a great boost when guests such as yourself take time to acknowledge our efforts.

We look forward to having you with us on your next visit to Ireland.

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on weds night for a concert (we had stayed before for a concert in the O2 and as they offered a free shuttle bus to the venue we chose this hotel again).

Firstly when we arrived to check in we inquired about the shuttle to the O2, this was still an available service, although now not free and cost €3 per person to arrive at the concert 1.5hrs early, so we walked... We got back at about 11.30 that evening and had a drink which was very comfortable and served by friendly staff.

The following morning we were woken by a knock at the door and a member of housekeeping coming in at 8am. When I went to the door after making them aware that we were still in the room I looked down the corridor to see the person trying to hide down the hallway, I asked why she knocked and she just said oh sorry. Then unable to get back to sleep I got ready and called reception asking what time check out was and was there a reason we were being woken to leave early. I was simply apologized to and that's it. Didn't quite make up for the lack of sleep ...

We didn't have breakfast included but went to the restaurant and paid €10 each for a full irish buffet. Unfortunatly it seemed that €10 wouldn't even buy you a slice of toast - after standing at a 6 slice toaster for nearly 10 mins I gave up trying to get my toast, it seems that the couple that I had put mine in were broken with no signage to tell people. So people were using the other slots as I was waiting for mine, there was never a chance to use the working ones. I approached the lady who seemed to be in charge (short blonde hair) and asked her why there wasn't a label or something on it to tell us that it was broken and all I got was a dirty look while she ordered someone else to get something for a sign. No apology.

No sleep, no breakfast without attitude, I don't think we'll bother again for our future dublin trips. And on a side note, the day ahead was to be enjoyed with a little shopping whilst in the capital, unfortunatly due to the lack of rest, it was mostly filled with sitting around resting. Waste of a day....

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Mbutler96

Thank you for your review.

I apologise that the service during your stay with us was not as it should have been.

Your comments particularly regarding being woken and breakfast will be brought to the attention of the relevant supervisors.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here on Saturday night may 31st 2014 as we were in Dublin for our visit to the bord gais energy theatre to watch singing in the rain. Over all it was a very pleasant experience. We arrived at the hotel on Saturday evening. We had booked a double room but on arrival were allocated a twin. We phoned reception and we were immediately allocated a new room. The room itself was clean, with a very comfortable bed. As we were late arriving and were in a hurry to get to our show we decided to eat in the hotel bar. The service was quick and friendly, the menu offered great choice and the food was a treat. The map of the area provided at check in was a great help to find our way to the theatre which was only a twenty minute stroll away. The hotel is also a great location for events at the aviva stadium and the rds.

Breakfast the following morning was also very good, with all the usual trimmings, my one complaint being that the coffee wasn't great. On the way back from breakfast we bumped into the owner, John, who introduced himself and asked how we were getting on. After a quick chat we packed our bags and were on our way. Overall, a pleasant stay, friendly staff and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eamonn M

Dear Eamonn,

Thank you for your kind review.

I hear “Singing in the Rain” was a wonderful show. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your comment regarding breakfast coffee will be brought to the attention of our supervisor.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed here whilst travelling alone with my baby, and the staff were incredibly helpful. I hadn't realised it was right beside the stadium, so I would highly recommend this as a perfect place to stay if you are attending an event. The room was perfect for our needs, with a queen and a single. I also really enjoyed walking to the local shops on a sunny evening, as it is such a nice area and there were lots of kids out playing, people having after work drinks, and I felt very safe. I was also glad that the clientele were mainly couples in their 30's and above, as I really didn't want to be in a hotel with all the stag and hen parties (I was there on a weekend). I think the only slight negative were the 2 staff working in the breakfast room pretty much ignored me and were pretty surly. All in all I would highly recommend this place as a quiet but very handy hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind review.

Sandymount is a lovely village, and I am delighted you felt safe here.

Your comment regarding breakfast staff is noted and will be addressed.

We look forward to having you with us on your next visit to Dublin.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed two knights in this wonder full hotel. It is a nice Quaid hotel on a nice location in the suburbs of Dublin. When you want to go the centre off Dublin the train station is just a walk off 3 minutes a way and with the train just 3 stations and off you go into the centre.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jan,

Thank you for your kind review.

I hope you enjoyed your short visit to Dublin, and that you will return soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Bought as part of a deal through Irish Ferries, we ended up in a very basic room at the back of the hotel. The room was very cool - apparently the central heating doesn't come on until 7pm even if it's only 12C outside! WE had very narrow twin beds and had a little trouble keeping the duvet on it.
The hotel is a strange amalgam of 4 large Georgian houses so you may well find that you have to go upstairs to go downstairs for breakfast. The food is well worth it though - full Irish.
It's not just popular for spectators, the hotel is BIG on BIG weddings and these can go on late. Expect kids running in the corridors.
We had one evening meal in the bar which was an excellent (huge) spread washed down by the blackstuff.
Hotel pro's definitely outweigh the few con's we had. Good value for your Euro.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Will

Thank you for your review.

As the hotel is in a quiet residential area with noise restriction, we have had just one wedding this year.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to having you with us on your next visit to Dublin.