“You get what you pay for”
Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Ranked #99 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Very very helpful reception staff and decent rooms. Moaning about the rooms here would be like complaining Harrods prices are expensive. For the price you get decent room, comfortable bed, good location and friendly staff, what else do you need? Would stay ahain

• Stayed: August 2013
DublinMurielO, Public Relations Manager at The Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Hi Tommy F

Thank you for your kind review of The Townhouse Hotel in Dublin City Centre, our personal service, our central location, our comfortable rooms, our Irish Breakfast and our value for money are the corner stones of our business, and we thank you for appreciating our good efforts. Your feedback helps us to understand what we are doing right, and what needs improvement. We look forward to your next stay and please make sure to BOOK DIRECT on Our website to enjoy your full Irish Breakfast FREE.

We focus on providing comfortable rooms, informative front of house staff and value for your money. Please make sure to LIKE Our Facebook Page as we have a FREE Draw right now that could see you enjoy your next stay with The Townhouse Hotel absolutely FREE.

As well as delivering on our own products and service we work closely with other businesses in the area to ensure that our area is welcoming and that our local attractions such as Custom House Quay, Samuel Beckett Bridge, Gardiner Street Church and so much more are enjoyed by our guests.

We really try hard to deliver on customer service and your review confirms that it is paying off, our location right in the heart of Dublin is a key selling point, however, we like to think that our dedicated Tourist Information Desk and experienced staff are equally important to our local and international guests. Staycation packages available right now at unbeatable prices.

Please make sure to LIKE our Facebook page as we have a FREE Draw there right now, our latest winner will enjoy Riverdance at the Gaiety Theatre tonight with our complements. We look forward to your next stay, please BOOK DIRECT to take advantage of any special offers such as FREE breakfast and so forth.

We are only a few minutes’ walk from Temple Bar and our accommodation prices are about 20% cheaper, including FREE Full Irish Breakfast each morning when you BOOK DIRECT on Our own website.

We have just launched Our July-Get-Away, Staycation Packages Dublin including multi-night discount, FREE Full Irish-Breakfast, Discount vouchers for most major Dublin attractions, including Dublin ZOO and so much more…

I hope you have taken the time to enter our fabulous FREE Draw on Our Facebook page, this draw could see you enjoy a stay at the Townhouse Hotel in Dublin City Centre absolutely free.

As you will know we have day tours leaving from our doorstep each day to such wonderful places such as the Giants Causeway and Cliffs of Moher, you will be back before 9pm, in plenty of time to enjoy a pint in one of our local Traditional Irish Pubs.

Please make sure to BOOK DIRECT on our website to enjoy special offers and see gardinerstreetdublin.com to keep up to date with what is going on in Dublin and Our area in particular.

Please keep up to date with Dublin by visiting gardinerstreetdublin.com

Regards, Muriel O’Connor, Proprietor, The Townhouse Hotel Dublin City Centre

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We booked well in advance by their website, but when we arrived they had overbooked and had no rooms. They even lied about this and mentioned a "flooding" as reason for them having no room. Really ! We were offered a not-so-nice basement room in a nearby B & B, and didn´t have much choice as it was a busy summer Saturday with not many rooms left in Dublin. Not happy with their policy !

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tantenina
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Dublin is expensive, so with this in mind the Townhouse offers an acceptable B & B at a very reasonable price. Certainly not to 5 star standards, but doesn't pretend to be. Clean enough and with a comfortable feel, although some of the decor and furnishings are getting a little tired. A quiet but convenient location, Temple Bar being a few minutes walk to the other side of the river. We booked direct, saving a few euros and enjoying the complimentary breakfast, which I enjoyed despite the cafeteria style voucher service. ( The awful instant coffee let the excellent bacon and eggs down ). The free, and fast, Internet was a plus. We were made to feel very welcome by the very hospitable front desk staff, although the the breakfast staff would benefit by raising an occasional smile..
All in all we enjoyed our stay, appreciated the friendly welcome and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We have used this hotel/guest house 5 or 6 times now but we probably will look elsewhere next time we are in Dublin. We booked a triple room several months in advance but when we arrived our room was a small twin with an extra single bed jammed in so we had no bedside tables, the headboards, sockets and light switches were all in wrong places. There was not enough room to swing the proverbial cat! Breakfasts were canteen style select what you want and although the food was OK it was served by people who really did not seem to want to be there. The hotel is co run with a hostel next door and I think too much of the hostel mentality has drifted in to hotel but the prices still seem decidedly hotel - we paid over 450 euros for 3 nights B&B! Shame it used to be a good quality well priced guest house.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TheCrofties
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My friend and I stayed in a twin room it was very affordable and close to bus and rail links. We booked via website and got free breakfast. Room although a little tired decor wise was extremely extremelyclean and comfortable. Staff were just lovely. I will definitely stay again only recommendation would be to make sure and ask for non smoking room if you are not a smoker.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Overall we found the quality of the accommodation at the Dublin Townhouse to be very poor. The noise from within the building was compounded by it being attached to and sharing some facilities with a hostel. Breakfast is included in the price (that's not the same as free), but the food quality was quite poor. I have attached a few pics which give a general idea of the place. I find it curious that after each review the property invites the writer to 'Like' them on Facebook and extolls their awards...even after bad reviews.

Room Tip: If you like rooms at hostels stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ComeSeeHun
Reviewed 28 July 2013

To say I was not happy with my stay in the Townhouse would be an extreme understatement. Having booked 2weeks in advance and having requested a room in the newer building I was still given a room in the older building, having mentioned my request I was told there was no available rooms and they can't guarantee all requests, which to me implied that every other single person staying must have made the exact same request as myself and I was unfortunate not to be able to have my request granted! The room I was then subsequently given was on the top floor and with the good weather that week and given that heat rises the room was like a sauna. Even with the window opened it made absolutely no difference to the stifling heat within the room, but only served to allow the noise from the constant traffic and the gangs of boisterous pub goers on the main street below into the room. Having asked if there were any fans available I was told "no they were all out". As a result I had to sleep both nights with my bedroom door opened on to the corridor. Which needless to say wasn't exactly a safe thing to do given that there were foreign tourists running around the building in their underwear well into the early hours of the morning. There was no bulb in the ceiling light in the room and to cap it off there was no water whatsoever out of the hot water tap. As I was in Dublin to attend a show I needed to print off the tickets so I needed internet access. I had to pay €1 for 30seconds access which I understand but I also had to pay another €2 for printing the tickets on two a4 sheets of paper which was excessive to say the least!! The breakfast experience was also less than desirable as the people serving the breakfast there are only interested in making sure the breakfast vouchers that are issued on checking in are valid and would shout to see the voucher before serving any food. Their english was very poor and trying to explain what I would like to eat was an effort, after all this and being given a half mug of tea I then found a blonde hair in my cereal. All in all it was a shocking experience. I have stayed several times in the past and my partner has been going to the Townhouse every year for past 18years and we have both agreed this was the worst visit we ever made. The focus just seems to be all on making money now, regardless of the service that's being provided. What with the charging for the car that's parked on their premises (which was unheard of a few years back), Charging a euro for a sheet of paper and noticeable cut backs with the breakfast a loyal guest of the Townhouse is definitely not valued or appreciated. It is without reservation that we can say we will definitely not be recommending or staying in the Townhouse again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple