“Abit outdated and noisy!”
Review of The Townhouse

and 1 more site!
The Townhouse
Ranked #98 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I got this hotel by pure luck on a busy Saturday night.. Clean bed, old tv and shared bathroom, not exactly high standards but did the trick for a last min stay. Did not sleep very well as the noise is just hurrendous, pretty sure there is no double glazing and doors slamming all the time. Breakfast was ok.. and staff nice enough, Although, Would not stay here again- maybe after a refurb!

• Stayed: August 2013
DublinMurielO, Public Relations Manager at The Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Hi William

Thank you for taking the time to offer an opinion of The Townhouse Dublin City Centre. The contents of your opinion piece have been noted and will help us to continually improve our products and services. Please make sure to BOOK DIRECT on our website for your next stay so that you might enjoy a full Irish Breakfast FREE.

We focus on providing comfortable rooms, informative front of house staff and value for your money. Please make sure to LIKE Our Facebook Page as we have a FREE Draw right now that could see you enjoy your next stay with The Townhouse Hotel absolutely FREE.

As well as delivering on our own products and service we work closely with other businesses in the area to ensure that our area is welcoming and that our local attractions such as Custom House Quay, Samuel Beckett Bridge, Gardiner Street Church and so much more are enjoyed by our guests.

We really try hard to deliver on customer service and your review confirms that it is paying off, our location right in the heart of Dublin is a key selling point, however, we like to think that our dedicated Tourist Information Desk and experienced staff are equally important to our local and international guests. Staycation packages available right now at unbeatable prices.

We are only a few minutes’ walk from Temple Bar and our accommodation prices are about 20% cheaper, including FREE Full Irish Breakfast each morning when you BOOK DIRECT on Our own website. If you are planning a Christmas Party in 2013 please stay in our comfortable, central location.

We have just launched Our August-Get-Away, Staycation Packages Dublin including multi-night discount, FREE Full Irish-Breakfast, Discount vouchers for most major Dublin attractions, including Dublin ZOO and so much more…

I hope you have taken the time to enter our fabulous FREE Draw on Our Facebook page, this draw could see you enjoy a stay at the Townhouse Hotel in Dublin City Centre absolutely free.

As you will know we have day tours leaving from our doorstep each day to such wonderful places such as the Giants Causeway and Cliffs of Moher, you will be back before 9pm, in plenty of time to enjoy a pint in one of our local Traditional Irish Pubs.

Please make sure to BOOK DIRECT on our website to enjoy special offers and see gardinerstreetdublin.com to keep up to date with what is going on in Dublin and Our area in particular.

Please keep up to date with Dublin by visiting gardinerstreetdublin.com

Regards, Muriel O’Connor, Proprietor, The Townhouse Hotel Dublin City Centre

There are newer reviews for The Townhouse

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Check-in was fabulous. I arrived early, and they kindly stored my luggage while I went to meet some friends. The receptionist had a great sense of humour, and made me feel welcomed. I was upgraded free of charge to a doble room, even though I booked a single.

The first day at breakfast (which was included for booking straight with them), I arrived to the breakfast room quite late, at 9:45, just 15 minutes before they stop serving breakfast, and when I asked for coffee, I was told that coffee was finished. But after a couple of minutes, the waitress came and told me that she would make some more. After that, no more issues at breakfast time. Breakfast was in fact really good. Selection of cereals, fruit, cooked, toasts, jams, bread, juices.... everything you may want.

With the houskeeping team, I tried to get them to clean my room for the first two days, but leaving the "Please clean my room" sign didn't seem to work. So I went to reception, asked about it and they told me that I had to hang the sign before 11am, which I hadn't done the past couple of days because I met my friends at midday for lunch and not before. So the third day I finally got fresh linen and towels. Partially my fault, yes, but no one informed me about it beforehand.

The TVs need updating. Sound goes off for a couple of seconds every 20 or 30 seconds. Image was dirty, with white stripes all over the screen. But I didn't go to Dublin to watch TV, so no big deal.

I asked if I could have a late check-out, because my plane didn't leave until 19:40, and I was coming home just in time to start working a night shift (I work in hotels also), but I wasn't allowed because aparently it was full. And knowing the hotel busines like I know it, I'd be very surprised to see a hotel completely full on a Sunday night, unless there is some special ocasion in town.

On the plus side, the bed was one of the best beds i've slept in while on holidays (nothing beats your own bed). The window faced the street, but was thick enough to leave the traffic noise outside. Plenty of pillows.

The water pressure and the temperature of the water was superb, and being on the top floor that's a BIG PLUS. Towels were soft and nice.

If someone expects The Ritz, they should book and pay for The Ritz. I don't understand the complaints.

All in all, I will definitely go back to The Townhouse. I hope sooner rather than later. I strongly recommend this hotel for your Irish holiday :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Its Dublin the people are very friendly and the staff are no different and you have some craic with them even as you walk in the door. The room, facing Lower Gardiner Street, was noisy, small but was clean warm and had all that was expected. The en suite bathroom could do with some work, a quick shower as the drain could not take the water and the tray filled and the taps on the basin sprayed water out over the counter. That said we were there to see and enjoy Dublin this is not a top of the range hotel and that should be born in mind it is a place to put your head down and get washed and a bit to eat before heading out for the day. The bed was comfortable and I had done enough through the day to be able to get a good nights sleep. The breakfast was included in the price and I believe that it had a good election of cereals, fruit cocktail, ham, cheese, breads, toast and the cooked breakfast was of a reasonable standard and choice just tell the staff what you wanted. The staff were very helpful regarding the various tours and general information on the various sights and what to see or do. The buses are just outside the door and the main places Temple Bar, O'Connell Street and Grafton Street are a 10/15 minute walk. There is a small but secure car park at the rear which was great but does cost extra.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear in the newer part.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The staff were very friendly and helpful it the lobby. The rooms are quiet small although what one would expect in Europe. Importantly the room was clean and the linen was fresh. The hotel is conveniently located, close to bus stops and well placed if you like exploring on the hoof.

Our room was located close to the Wifi lounge so we had Wifi in the room as an added bonus. If you are looking for decent accommodation at a reasonable rate and don't expect any trimmings then the Townhouse will do just fine.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street and on the opposite side to the back packers.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The Townhouse is a real taste of Dublin. It's located a short walk away from Temple Bar and the main shopping area, but not smack in the middle of it, which was good for us. The staff at the Townhouse was supremely helpful in every way, particularly when we ran into issues with noise outside our rooms due to the fact that they faced the back of the Inn, which was adjacent to al the outdoor smoking areas for the local restaurants. Lots of racket, chatter, noise till all hours. But any issues (like when they switched our rooms gladly, but put us in smoking rooms) were addressed quickly and with graciousness. Can't complain about that too much, now can you? Breakfast was a feast, and was included in our room rate when we booked directly with the hotel ( vs booking dot com where it was not). They suggested a tour to the Cliffs of Moher which were breaktaking if you can tolerate the 8 hours back and forth. Comfy bedding and clean rooms

Room Tip: Might be less noisy facing from main road vs the back, which is counterintuitive but the aforementio...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ihr
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Very very helpful reception staff and decent rooms. Moaning about the rooms here would be like complaining Harrods prices are expensive. For the price you get decent room, comfortable bed, good location and friendly staff, what else do you need? Would stay ahain

• Stayed: August 2013
DublinMurielO, Public Relations Manager at The Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Hi Tommy F

Thank you for your kind review of The Townhouse Hotel in Dublin City Centre, our personal service, our central location, our comfortable rooms, our Irish Breakfast and our value for money are the corner stones of our business, and we thank you for appreciating our good efforts. Your feedback helps us to understand what we are doing right, and what needs improvement. We look forward to your next stay and please make sure to BOOK DIRECT on Our website to enjoy your full Irish Breakfast FREE.

Please make sure to LIKE our Facebook page as we have a FREE Draw there right now, our latest winner will enjoy Riverdance at the Gaiety Theatre tonight with our complements. We look forward to your next stay, please BOOK DIRECT to take advantage of any special offers such as FREE breakfast and so forth.

We have just launched Our July-Get-Away, Staycation Packages Dublin including multi-night discount, FREE Full Irish-Breakfast, Discount vouchers for most major Dublin attractions, including Dublin ZOO and so much more…

Please keep up to date with Dublin by visiting gardinerstreetdublin.com

Regards, Muriel O’Connor, Proprietor, The Townhouse Hotel Dublin City Centre

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We booked well in advance by their website, but when we arrived they had overbooked and had no rooms. They even lied about this and mentioned a "flooding" as reason for them having no room. Really ! We were offered a not-so-nice basement room in a nearby B & B, and didn´t have much choice as it was a busy summer Saturday with not many rooms left in Dublin. Not happy with their policy !

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple