“Very noisy”
Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Ranked #100 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I was surprised that 69 Euros for a double room did not entitle me to a peaceful nights sleep. Our double room was located at the back of the hotel and our balcony door faced onto the back road which was noisy all night with trucks and cars parking, refuse truck collections, bottles thrown into recycling bins and singing at a local bar. I was kept up for half the night and when I complained to the owner and requested a discount she refused outright saying that 69 Euros was a bargain rate.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amymv

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I have stayed here twice, in January 2013 and January 2014. Our room was excellent, very comfortable and clean, and we were not disturbed by loud noise. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast is substantial and tasty! Terrific location, with plenty of good pubs in the vicinity. Would book there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reg44
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was an okay place to stay but we would probably not stay again. The breakfast was okay although the breakfast staff were unfriendly. The rooms were okay except the window frame was stuffed with tissue for some reason? possibly to keep the cold air out?? The cream in the room was also old & lumpy, the glasses were still dirty from the previous guests but the beds were comfortable. Also they were renovating the hotel which I think is odd to do as they were closed a week later due to the Holidays. Possibly the next time they could renovate is when they are closed. The lady at the reception was also rude to my husband. The only people that we found friendly were the people renovating the hotel. But as someone has suggested, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank thomasinab964
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed in the Townhouse 12 years ago and it was fantastic so when I was having a short break in Dublin with my sister I looked forward to repeating the experience. It could not have been more different. They were in the middle of redecorating (something we do at this time of year they told us -no apology) The floors were being sanded till 10pm, dust everywhere, then the next night they were being re-varnished, smell of paint throughout hotel. We had to go next door for breakfast (wished we'd stayed there) We had to take route to our room which involved entering by the Backpackers hostel, through the common room stacked with furniture, climbing stairs covered in dust sheets and wet paint everywhere. As you can see from the response to other criticisms, its never their fault but the customers. An apology would have been good but they seemed to believe it was a good laugh. Well it might have been for them but it spoilt our visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank puddy49
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Thankfully, I only stayed for one night, which was a Friday. In common with many other reviewers, I had a sleepless night, partly because of disturbances within the building, and also because of noise without.
I asked a garda how to find Gardiner St, and as he explained, he mentioned, "It's the street with all the hostels on". This was a fair description of this establishment; it would suit young back packers who are visiting European cities on a budget, who are used to living in halls of residence and are happy with a casual place to stop over. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but prospective customers need to be clear about what kind of accommodation this is.
It would definitely suit a stag or hen party if they intended returning very late, but it is not somewhere for couples, solo travellers or business travellers to stay, and wouldn't be a good choice to take elderly parents, either.
It attracts parties whose aim is to drink late and return loudly, so although this is usually good natured, it is very noisy. Those in the room near mine had been smoking; staff were dismissive of my complaint, as it is a non-smoking establishment, but the evidence was strong.
There is also much noise from adjacent pubs, which I was assured would stop by 1am, but then this racket was replaced with other city sounds, such as the rubbish being collected. Again, my concern was dismissed with "that's city living", but it could be addressed by double glazing.
Other city centre hotels, such as The North Star, manage to minimise similar external noise.
Customer service poor; reception staff during the day were ok, but the receptionist working from the evening was surly and unwilling, displeased, for example, when I asked for a hairdryer.
I used the ironing facilities in the laundry room, and didn't find them particularly clean.
The lobby and public areas are rather shabby.
The room itself, however, was clean and fit for purpose.
Good internet access on the ground floor.
Guests would accept that it is basic, but the noise makes the stay a real strain.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank R N
DublinMurielO, Public Relations Manager at The Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Hi RN

You have made a number of complaints that appear to relate to the suitability of The Townhouse for Families, Business people, Couples and elderly people, all of your assumptions are based on a one-night stay at The Townhouse. The reality is that the majority of people who stay with us at The Townhouse do so in order to enjoy city life, rather than gaze at the wall paper. This summer we have enjoyed the company of many groups of elderly people all of whom enjoyed their city experience and their day tours from our Tour partners. Many hundreds of business people visiting The Dublin Convention Centre have stayed with us this year and every year since we opened, this year we welcomed over 500 Families who enjoyed our discounted Staycation Packages including The Viking Splash Tour, Dublin Zoo and so much more. Thousands of couples and singles have stayed with us at The Townhouse to enjoy a short break or romantic weekend, at this moment 24,000 people have entered our Christmas Bonanza Draw, and many of these people have been associated with The Townhouse for many years.

You mentioned The North Star, and perhaps that is the actual reason for your down-beat subjective opinion piece, the reality is that The Townhouse Dublin is a Georgian Building restored and maintained with due diligence, it has a history that is associated with a number of internationally renowned writers. As for our front of house staff, they are the most experienced and highly trained customer service employees in Dublin.

And to quote your own opening line, “Thankfully you only stayed one-night”.

Regards, The Management and Staff, The Award Winning Townhouse Dublin City Centre

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We had 2 rooms at the Townhouse for 2 nights Nov 12&13. We received a very friendly welcome and were given some good info. regarding things to do and where to go. The rooms were not enormous but large enough for a couple of days,very clean and the bathroom was more than adequate with a superb shower. The breakfast ( which is free if you book direct with the Townhouse) was excellent and set us up for the day. Location is very convenient to shops, Temple Bar, bus stop etc. One downside to the Townhouse is that it isn't licensed but there are plenty of pubs in the locality.
I have no hesitation in recommending The Townhouse.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My mother and I loved our stay at the townhouse in Dublin! Fabulous customer service, paid attention to every detail. A great place to have a quiet rest and a yummy breakfast. I would recommend the place to anyone, the location is close to the temple bar and trinity college and lots of shopping

• Stayed: November 2013