“The best B&B in town”
Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Ranked #99 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great location, Airlink stop is 100m from the front door and it takes less than 5 mins to walk to O'Connell street.

Friendly staff and 24 hrs reception. The breakfast is not included for the room price but you can not get better fry for fiver anywhere.

The rooms and toilets are a bit small. No place for the luggage but at least there is no limit on the hot water in shower. Free wifi.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here two days in June 2014. Hotel staff were great, we arrived early and they happily took our bags to their baggage room. Our room was OK... A little tight, nothing fancy. No AC, but windows do open. I believe the hot and cold water shower taps in our room (211) were swapped as I had to take it to cold to get warm water. One of the nights we stayed was a Friday night and could hear bar music well into the night, and there were bird noises constantly. All rooms came with breakfast (if you booked directly with hotel), breakfast was a good way to start the day. Plenty of pubs nearby to finish out the evening after a great day of touring. Hotel offers a start location for a group of guys that offer a FREE walking tour of Dublin. The one guide we had was very personable and knowledgeable. So I would recommend them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights and it was an overall good stay. The location could not be better. The staff is friendly and helpful. The facilities are clean and very homey. Sometimes the water pressure was bad but only during peak nighttime hours and it didn't make the experience bad. We stayed on the 3rd floor and the only problem was it was so noisy at night. Even from our window we could hear people partying when it was closed. There was also an extremely annoying chicken or some sort of bird that crowed at all hours. The staff made up for it with how nice they were and the walking tour we did more than made up for the lack of sleep!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the street not the alley
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Very friendly hotel, great rooms, warm .. we had a four poster bed! You pay for breakfast when you have it so if you wake up late you havent paid for something you've missed. Good idea. Wifi is excellent, probably the best I have ever encountered. Shortly to make our 3rd trip to this hotel.
Very good value for money

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I booked the last night of my trip to Ireland at the Townhouse. I needed it merely as a place to sleep for one night before flying out of Dublin, back to the US. I'm sorry I didn't book a longer stay! The reception was very friendly and helpful in advising me about how best to get to the airport, my room, though small, was very well appointed, and I had a small balcony looking out onto an inner courtyard - NO noise at night on a busy street in central Dublin. My only regret is that I had to leave too early for breakfast - though I could have taken the staff up on their offer of tea and toast whenever I needed it.

I must add that the hotel is in an historic house, once lived in by Dion Boucicault, a major 19th century actor/playwright. I taught theatre history before I retired recently, and really appreciated the memorabilia on the walls of the hotel re Boucicault in particular and theatre in general. In addition, there was a very pleasant and in-depth description of Boucicault in the usually quite dull hotel directory - it contained all the usual information, but in addition this delightful bio. Brava to the proprietor!

If I ever return to Dublin I will make every effort to book again at the Townhouse - you should too!

Room Tip: I'm sure there are noisier rooms than mine, that face the street - so you might ask for a room t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DottoreGianni
DublinMurielO, Owner at The Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hi jack_hrkach

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us in The Townhouse Dublin. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay here in The Townhouse.

Yes there is a lot of history associated with our Georgian Townhouse, we are very proud of the fact that Dion Boucicault once lived in our house. Lafcadio Hearn also is another famous person who lived in our house. We have information about both famous men displayed around our reception.

Thank you for the lovely comments about the staff, I will let them know. Our reception staff are always happy to help guests with any questions they have. We hope the next time you come to Dublin you will BOOK DIRECT with us and stay a little longer, there is loads to see and do in Dublin city centre.

Thank you for booking with us, we really appreciate your business.

Regards, Muriel O’Connor, Proprietor, The Townhouse Dublin City Centre

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Enjoyed this B&B in Dublin during our 3 days there - clean room, good location, 5-10 minutes walk to everything in town. Bus tours and airport bus within a few steps of the hotel. Friendly staff - highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Hi Julia S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us in The Townhouse Dublin. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay here in The Townhouse and in Dublin.

Thank you for the lovely comments about our staff and facilities, our main focus is providing guests with comfortable, clean rooms that offer the best value for money. Our reception staff offers guests more service by informing them of tours, airport transfers and best locations in Dublin.

Thank you for booking with us, we really appreciate your business. Next time you come to Dublin BOOK DIRECT with us and you will get the full Irish breakfast FREE, also guests who book direct are kept up to date on all our offers and free draws on Facebook.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the Townhouse Dublin.

Regards, Muriel O’Connor, Proprietor, The Townhouse Dublin City Centre

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The website looked great and the promise of a lovely boutique hotel seemed to be just what I needed. But the room was noisy, the curtains dirty and couldn't close, the chair seat collapsed and the shower room was awful. The shower door fell off - and it had been like this for ages judging by the wear on the aluminium frame. The loo was cracked, as were the wall and floor tiles. I let the night porter know, but he wasn't interested.
This place is in dire need of a good refurb.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else until they remodel the place.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business