“Good hotel choice”
Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Ranked #100 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The hotel has a really nice feeling to it - it's a charming house, with some common sitting areas, nicely decorated and having names for all rooms. The breakfast offered was really good and it was included in the price of the room, as I had booked it on the hotel's website. The Streets of Dublin, the room I had during my stay there, was a clean and decent size room. The only downside was the bathroom, which looked a bit tired, having the shower tray chipped. Nevertheless, I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank B0ghi

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This place was clean and comfortable with no bells and whistles. The staff were helpful and the breakfast was good, esp with it being included from booking through their site. They did overbook tye quad room we had booked but out us in two doubles for the same price.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The hotel is at easy distance walking for most of the attractions in Dublin. Rooms are small, but well organised, clean and have more personality than the bigger chain hotel rooms. A somewhat negative point was that getting warm water for the shower was tricky in the morning. The staff was very helpful.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the courtyard, and these are more quiet than the one overlooking the street...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I booked a room on May 30, 2014 at the Townhouse
for a reservation for July 12, 2014. In looking at the rooms available for 3 adults, & I selected one that said it could be cancelled up until july 10, 2014. Our plans changed & we were not going to include Dublin in our trip. I contacted the hotel on May 30, 2014 & cancelled the reservation & she said fine. I never saw the credit go to my credit card, & contacted them again later. She told me since I had booked it, it was NON-REFUNDABLE. Why would it be non-refundable if it had said could be cancelled up until July 10? I was TAKEN!!!
Dorothy Ahlstedt

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dorothy A
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was in a room facing an alleyway -- the first night, there was a rubbish collection at around midnight and I heard the beeping of the truck as it rolled down the alley as though my windows were wide open even though they were shut. There is NO sound insulation. The second night, it sounded as though a raucous party were happening in the alley all night -- people laughing and shouting and having loud conversations. At one point, there was a huge crash, like a massive number of beer bottles all being broken at once. They sounded like they were having fun -- but I was trying to sleep!

Also, I'm a solo female traveler in my late 20s, but I do look VERY young for my age and felt like I was getting the 'dodgy teenager' side eye from the staff sometimes when I came and went from the hotel. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but it wasn't very welcoming either.

I was not particularly knowledgeable about what I wanted to do in Dublin when I booked this reservation, but by the time I got to my stay here, I'd been through Dublin a couple times and realized that I probably would have been happier looking for something comparable on the other side of the Liffey if possible. Still, well within walking distance of everything I wanted to do.

The room itself was pleasant and clean and had everything I could have asked for in a reasonably priced hotel. There were two beds in the room and it might well have felt cramped if I were sharing with someone, but by myself, it was a comfortable fit.

Over all, a pretty average hotel experience with a serious noise problem in certain rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank A M
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Overall, I enjoyed my four night stay at this hotel. The location was pretty convenient for touring the city. There's a local bus stop right outside the door and the Airlink airport shuttle stops about half a block north of the hotel. There's a Tesco grocery store around the corner from the hotel, where you can get anything you need. O'Connell Street is just a couple of blocks west of the hotel. The hotel staff is really friendly and helpful with anything you may need including directions, booking tours, and the like. The full Irish breakfast is free when you book directly through their website, a great value over booking through 3rd party sites.

As for the room, my 3rd story single overlooking the interior garden was surprisingly large for a European single room. I loved the French doors opening up onto a small ledge. It let in a lot of light and cool air into the room. The room was quiet, save for a couple of birds who liked to sing early in the morning and a little late in the evening.

The bed was very clean and comfortable. (I checked). The TV reception was a little spotty but why are you watching TV when you're in Dublin? My only complaint about the hotel is the need for better cleanliness and renovation. The bedsheets and towels were spotless, but that level of cleanliness did not apply to other parts of the room. The curtain rod had an obvious layer of dust that was quite off-putting and the hot water kettle for the tea service needs replacing. But worst of all was the 4 inch tall mold stains crawling up the side of the wooden bathroom cabinet, just beneath the sink. That's just unacceptable. I also have reservations about whether the bathroom floors are as clean as they could be. Thank goodness I brought flip flops to wear in the bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank faithk
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great location, Airlink stop is 100m from the front door and it takes less than 5 mins to walk to O'Connell street.

Friendly staff and 24 hrs reception. The breakfast is not included for the room price but you can not get better fry for fiver anywhere.

The rooms and toilets are a bit small. No place for the luggage but at least there is no limit on the hot water in shower. Free wifi.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple