“cheap, friendly, central”

Ranked #98 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
England, United Kingdom
“cheap, friendly, central”
Reviewed 5 September 2006

I have stayed at the Townhouse a couple of times when visiting Dublin, most recently when I was at my Aunt`s funeral. Have visited Dublin many times and this is by far the best low price accommodation I have stayed in.
Dublin accommodation is expensive so this was a revelation! Friendly, clean, comfy beds( in the modern mews wing) and a great location near to Busaras and O`Connell Street.I am amazed at some of the reviews I have read.- were they in the same place? The staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms were spotless and comfortable. If you are looking for 5 Star accommodation dont come but if you want something of reasonable price, central and friendly it is perfect. I have recommended the Townhouse to several friends- they all loved it. I will be staying there agin in November if I can get a room. It is always busy which speaks for itself ! Smoking and non smoking floors which I think is perfectly reasonable-just make sure you specify what you want when you book. Decent food at O`Sheas over the road and just minutes walk from the shops on Henry Street, Trinity College(15 mins)and Temple Bar where the accommodation is much more expensive and very noisy. Enjoy!

• Liked — location, price, friendly staff
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you ask for a non smoking room/floor
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled with family
6 Thank MsRiley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 26 August 2006

First of all, this is a guest house, more like a B&B than a hotel, and although it is also a hostel, the two sections are separate. The breakfast, which is included in the price, is cafeteria-style, and the food is decent. The dining room can get crowded, but it all depends on the day and time. Considering I went during peak season, I didn't think the dining room was unreasonably crowded.

The staff were exceptionally helpful, courteous, and fun. We parked our car in the attached garage with no problem. The rooms are a little small, but clean and well-equipped with TV, hair dryer, and a good shower. Wi-fi in rooms is available for 5 Euros (1 hour) or 10 Euros (24 hours). On the ground floor is also a terminal where you can check e-mail and use the Web. Across the street is an Internet cafe and call center. O'Shea's on the corner of Lower Gardiner and Talbot is a great local pub.

The location is superb, away from the other guest houses and hostels on Lower Gardiner Street and two blocks from the Liffey. There are two decent restaurants around the corner on Talbot Street, the Italian Connection and 101 Talbot Street. You can find a supermarket, laundry, and other amenities along Talbot as well. O'Connell Street is about a 4-city-block walk. The Abbey Theatre is less than a 10-minute walk. Trinity College, Grafton Street, and Temple Bar are all very short walks from the Townhouse, as are the DART station and the bus depot. All in all, a very central location.

The Townhouse has about 80 or so rooms of varying sizes. My partner and I had a double room on the 3rd floor in the back. Before going to sleep we heard a lot of noise from the pub around the corner on Talbot Street, but I expected that in a non-residential neighborhood. The pubs close down around 12:30 and the noise disappears. If you keep your windows closed, you won't hear much. We sleep with earplugs, so noise was not an issue at all.

The interior is sort of dark and drab, but I do not consider that a drawback. The owners wanted to preserve the 19th-century charm of the original house, which had been home to two playwrights at different times. The lobby has four or five comfortable chairs if you're waiting for others. I do not share the opinions of other commenters that the staff were unresponsive or rude. I found everyone to be helpful and charming. They cheerfully recommended places to eat, park, and shop, and, like most places, they will hold your bags for several hours after you check out.

The Townhouse was the first impression of Ireland for me and my partner. Neither of us had been to the country before. My mother enjoyed her stay, as did one of my best friends and his 80-year-old mother. We are all well-traveled New Yorkers, and all of us are pretty picky. We stayed for three nights, then traveled around Ireland and returned to the Townhouse a week later for our final night in Dublin, and we still had a great experience.

I chose this guest house on the basis of others' reviews here. In the end, whether you like it depends on your expectations and tastes. After reading some of the negative reviews, I had some doubts, but I was pleasantly surprised and more than satisfied. I highly recommend it if you can't afford a fancy hotel.

• Liked — Central location, efficient service, nice rooms
  • Disliked — Average breakfast, can be noisy at times
  • Tips/Secrets — Book ahead!!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank kayokid
london uk
Reviewed 24 August 2006

The hotel is much darker on the inside than it implies on the website. It looks like a cute little townhouse - I was thinking it'd be floorboards, nice furniture... it's all weird, dark, patterned carpet inside.

The whole place pretty much stinks of fried breakfast. Reception, stairs, even my room! The breakfast made me feel like I was back at school - you know, you line up, help yourself to pre-poured shotglasses of diluted down orange juice and cereal, then there's a lady with a plate and you point to the fried things you want and she plonks it unceremoniously in a pile in the middle of your plate, one thing on top of the other. There was nice soda bread and plenty of scones at breakfast though. The hotel is also a hostel so you'll be breakfasting with them (there were two large school trips of kids who spoke no English when I was there, it was chaos).

The room itself was fine - cramped, but fine. Bathroom was clean enough but not immaculate, and again it was very small. There was soap and so on in the bathroom. The room was very, very dark. I can't overemphasise how dark this hotel is - and not in a nice, old-fashioned, character-filled way... they've got dark pattern wallpaper, dark patterned carpet (a different pattern from the wallpaper though, so it's also kind of weird), dark patterned bedlinen.....everything in this place is dark green or dark red. It's not a nice, bright airy place to stay.

There is a lift to go up to the rooms. I always thought it seems kind of dodgy - it creaked and went very slowly and didn't seem to stop at the floor you had told it to. Then, I got stuck in the lift for about 15 minutes. I was at the ground floor and the doors just would not open. The lift was evidently as unreliable as I had thought...and this served me right for using it for only 2 flights of stairs. I eventually got out (although this was in no part due to the fact that I was ringing the alarm bell - which, apparently, doesn't do anything, anywhere!) and was greeted by a bunch of grumpy looking guests who had evidently been waiting ages for the lift. So, you know, being English, I apologised for the fact that my imprisonment had delayed them, and walked off.......

The location of the hotel is great. It's walking distance from everything really, but it is on the 'bad' side of the river. The shops around here are not cute and they are not nice. I did not feel at all safe around here at night. It was quite scary, there was a lot of drugs and drinking on the streets and I simply didn't feel comfortable with that - but that's a personal thing, I'm sure a guy wouldn't have had this problem.

Would I stay here again? Hmmm. That's tough. If I had more money I would DEFINITELY prefer to go somewhere else. No doubt about it. I also think a couple of the hostels looked better (Avalon House does for sure) but they were booked up when it came to my stay. But Dublin is expensive and although I thought this place was expensive too, compared to the other hotels, it was cheap. This place is a weird cross between some kind of dodgy chain hotel where nothing works, and a youth hostel. It's not horrible, and my stay in Dublin was great, but that's not due to this place - please don't expect it to be the character-filled gem the website might lead you to believe it is.

• Liked — The proximity it had to areas significantly better than that in which it was located.
  • Disliked — The location, the darkness of it all, the greasy breakfast, the lift, the dodgy area it is in.
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared to walk 15 minutes to anywhere you'd actually want to be, and to have to wash the smell of fried food out anything you brought inside this hotel, when you get home.
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank laurentp

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Amsterdam, NL
Reviewed 9 August 2006

This hotel is close to the bus and train station, and public transport, and the price was reasonable. We had a large double room with a small corner balcony. The size was great, lots of room for luggage, and furnishings were fine, but the decor was a little worn, especially in the bathroom. The room was reasonably clean, but it could have been better.

The staff were friendly and helpful at check-in and at breakfast, but when we reported a problem, they seemed indifferent. The problem was every morning we were there (3 mornings), the fire alarm went off at least once. The first time, it went off 3 times. When you are looking forward to sleeping in on your holiday, this is very inconvenient. When we asked at the front desk about the situation, they did not really provide any adequate explanation.

Otherwise, the hotel was pleasant and other than the fire alarm, we enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — The size of the room and the balcony
  • Disliked — Problems with fire alarm
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for room with balcony
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Damgirl
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 9 August 2006

Friendly hotel with a good location. The central bus station Busarus, from where buses to the airport leave, is very close. The hotel works well for families even with small children (if you can lift your pushchair up the entrance steps). We traveled with our 1 year old twins and we got a babycot free of charge. Our room faced the backside and was very quiet. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Some drawbacks though:
- The queue to the breakfast was very long unless you were there before 8:30. This was when the hotel was fully booked.
- The water faucets in the bathroom were very irritating. They were the type where you press a button and they give you a 5 second massive splurge of water which you cannot control. It was impossible even to fill a normal glass without everything splashing out!

All-in-all can recommend this place.

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — The water faucets in the bathroom.
  • Tips/Secrets — Third floor is non-smoking.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank Reseflickan
London
Reviewed 31 July 2006

Definitely did not live up to expectations.

Our room absolutely stank of smoke. When we raised this with the staff we were rudely informed that that was because we were on a smoking floor, but when we booked we were not informed that there were smoking and non-smoking rooms. We told them this, and were then told that if there were only smoking rooms available we wouldn't have been given a choice ... an interesting policy.

Staff rather brusqe and not particularly interested in dealing with problems.

Our room was on the road side of the hotel, and incredibly noisy.

The hotel is MUCH bigger than it comes across as being on its website, and has a backpackers hostel attached to it.

This is not a cheap stay and definitely not worth the money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you find out whether you've been given a smoking or non=smoking room
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank TbugB
Cheshire
Reviewed 23 July 2006

I must start by saying that we were in Dublin on the hottest week since records began.

The hotel has a fabulous location, should you wish you could walk the whole city from there. It also has a car garage. The staff were friendly and very helpful.

The rooms were a good size. We were, however, on the top floor at the front of the hotel right on the road. Traffic in Dublin is 24/7 and there is no air-con so to prevent our early demise the windows had to be left open. We had a 3 year old with us and it was a nightmare with the heat and the noise. This, I must stress, was not the fault of the hotel.

Should you wish to book this hotel, I would request a room at the back of the hotel, unless you have no intention of sleeping or will have imbibed so much of the 'black stuff' the noise wouldn't penetrate.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The traffic noise
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family