“Brothers stag weekend”

Ranked #6 of 112 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
cork
“Brothers stag weekend”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We arrived and everything was organised we had 2 6 bed dorms for the 12 of us, the staff are wonderful friendly and full of advice on the city. the room was very clean and the bunk beds very solid and comfortable... its the place to meet people and the atmosphere is amazing!! it served us for what we needed they also offer cont breakfast in the mornings ie tea, coffee toast, juice, cereals. I will certainly be passing this on to the Irish hostels federation all I can say is well done !!!!!

Room Tip: We had room 216 very warm but large and has a nice fan in the room also has a shower to share with o...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Isaacs-hostel, Guest Relations Manager at Isaacs Hostel, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Geeat that you found everything to your liking - hope the stag weekend was mighty craic and the wedding went off without a hitch!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Stayed in 3 different hostels in Dublin and this has to be my favourite. They've made an effort to create an atmosphere, the staff are very friendly and overall it's welcoming. The location was even better than I thought - close to shops, buses, food, etc. The bedrooms were comfortable enough - large room, decent beds, etc. This is also one of the few hostels I've been to that had a good wifi connection.

The only thing I would've liked to have seen was some more powerpoints in the rooms, especially for the top bunk beds - but that is a relatively small issue that most hostels have.

Overall, it was pretty good.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Isaacs-hostel, Guest Relations Manager at Isaacs Hostel, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Great comments thanks - we would love to have a few more powerpoints - The hostel has a convered wine store with loads of cahracter and mobile charging etc was not high on the agenda back on the day - but we are now working on it !
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Isaacs Hostel is located on a tiny little street right near the center of Dublin, just a short walk to O'Connell St. and literally around the corner from the AirLink bus stop that will take you to the airport (for which you can buy a ticket for 5 Euros at the front desk at Issacs, the normal price being 6 Euros, I think). A friend and I booked a private room for one night before our flights out of the country.

The atmosphere inside the hostel is comfortable and laid-back. The staff at the reception desk were all friendly and helpful, and there always seemed to be someone at the desk, even when we had to check out at 5am for an early flight. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable and warm. We shared a bathroom and shower with an adjacent dorm-style room (unsure of how many beds were in there), and they were tiny but clean. There is free Wi-Fi but it's only available in the lobby area and it can be, at times, difficult to stay connected (I personally didn't have an issue, but my friend did).

However, the big issue I had with this place was the noise. The walls, floor, and ceiling all seemed to be made of paper. Voices, footsteps, dropped items, and slamming doors could be heard from all around us with near perfect clarity. It also didn't help that the people in the next room were up until 4am and kept talking loudly and slamming their door (except for at least one blessed person who shut the door quietly). I'm usually a sound sleeper who can fall asleep nearly anywhere (I was known in high school to take naps in the cafeteria in the middle of lunch hour), but the noise was too much even for me to have a restful night. I do believe you can purchase ear plugs from the front desk, but I hate ear plugs and find them uncomfortable.

Because of the noise levels, I did want to rate this place 2/5, but bumped it up to a 3 simply because everything else was very good (location, service, cleanliness).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank yamada_hanako
NiamhBro, Owner at Isaacs Hostel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Unfortunately I think you must have been staying during a very busy period in the hostel - March is the busiest month of the year with lots of groups staying and as it is St. Patrick's festival, everyone was here to party. I am so sorry about the noise - we are looking into ways to improving the noise levels with regard to our groups' behaviour.
Fife
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Very impressed with lovely hostel, very clean and friendly staff. But the pillow and mattress were thick and uncomfortable. We slept just ok but everything else was great and it was clean. Shower was warm enough. The hostel is not really far from bus tour, activities, grocery, and big shopping mall. Great value of hostel. We will be back :)

Room Tip: Bring an another pillow.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
NiamhBro, Owner at Isaacs Hostel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I had to laugh thought - some of our guest complained that our pillows were too thin and we have just replaced a lot of our pillows and you found it too thick. I'm sure we still have some of the thinner ones around the hostels. But thanks for the comments.
Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Don't get me wrong: the staff ARE nice and helpful. I'd love it if they kept to their rules more strictly though. I wanted to love this place, and it looks fantastic from the outside.

Upon arrival, I told my group to be quiet and behave because nuisance could mean removal of the entire group (it says in the printed set of rules all visitors receive upon check-in). No one apparently tells this to the kids who wreak havoc during night, and no one actually corrects them for the behaviour.

On our first night, the lobby played music loudly until three in the morning, after which rowdy drunk fifteen-year-olds banged through the building (which sounds like it's made of cardboard) on their way to their beds, screaming and shouting and banging other people's doors. The next day, I begged the staff to apply their own rule and turn the music down after ten. They said they would, and would tell people to be quieter. I had to ask again that night at 10.30, but they were very obliging. Kids continued screaming and drinking in the lobby. (These are not legal adults. I have no idea where their supervisors were.)

I still have two more nights to go. I fear them greatly.

Yes, the staff is nice. Yes, the place is clean. Yes, it's in a good location considering the city centre and shopping areas. And yes, it's cheap.

But yes, it's also very noisy. The Isaacs Hostel is filled with young people who spend most of their time drunk off their heads. No, the staff don't interfere. No, no one actually applies rules. The WIFI isn't very good, and keeps zonking out. The breakfast is definitely continental. The lobby plays loud music until deep into the night unless you specifically ask them not to.

Go here if you want to stay at the place where teachers dump their students, not keeping any eye on them whatsoever, and where the earplugs that are sold for €0,50 don't help a single bit. You will get very litle sleep, unless you drink yourself into oblivion first.

Please, if someone in charge ever reads this, do something about the noise. Start by asking the staff to keep the peace, instead of putting that burden on your guests.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kim O
NiamhBro, Owner at Isaacs Hostel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
I am so so sorry you had a bad experience as a result of other groups misbehaving. We do have a code of conduct form which all groups and leaders sign and fill in and they are expected to adhere to our rules. Unfortunately sometimes our staff have difficulty finding the group leaders who are supposed to keep their groups under control - this is something we are trying to address. You were staying at the busiest time of the year with St. Patricks Festival taking place and there is a great deal of socialising taking place. Our rules state that guests should be quiet after 11pm and while we do try our best to enforce this rule during holiday times this is difficult.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I was traveling with a group of six and this was our first time staying in a hostel. It was grand! The people were so nice and helpful. Their accommodations were nice and it was a fun atmosphere. It is located near Connelly street and their is a grocery/liquor store about a block away. It was a great place to be.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
NiamhBro, Owner at Isaacs Hostel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and liked the hostel. It is so important to us that our guest have a good experience with us. Do come again!
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The reception people were awesome and really helpful. They even lend me an umbrella! There was a nice atmosphere in the reception and everyone was loud and having a good time. I stayed in a room with 8 people and it was fine. I sleep like a rock so nothing really bothers me. The WIFI did not work in the room, so you had to go to the reception area to get it, which sometimes it didnt work.

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
NiamhBro, Owner at Isaacs Hostel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thanks for your lovely response. So glad you enjoyed your stay. We don't have wifi in the bedrooms on purpose for a couple of reasons - 1. we want people to be able to sleep and the tapping of the keyboards during the night would drive people crazy and 2. the whole hostel ethos is to meet other people - if everyone has their head stuck in a computer nobody would ever talk - it's bad enough in Reception but in the doms too???