“Perfect for location and value”
Review of Kinlay House

Kinlay House
Ranked #15 of 119 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Stayed at Kinlay house with a group of 6 friends for a 3 day sightseeing/drinking trip, after looking through lots of various hotels and hostels for the best deal with the best location we werent disappointed after choosing Kinlay.
We got a really good deal, and when we arrived our room got upgraded so that we had our own bathroom, which was handy although with 6 of us we still ended up using the shared bathrooms which were clean and of a good but basic condition. The rooms were basic but we only needed somewhere to sleep which was fine. The hostel staff were very helpful with directions/suggestions for places to go and the hostel is literally in the heart of where you need to be, the tourist hotspots are all in a walkable distance as are all the shops.
We brought the dublin pass before we arrived which was very useful as we visited tons of tourist attractions and really got the use out of it, but if you are only planning on visiting the guiness storehouse for example its probably not worth it.
The restaurants and bars were pretty expensive but we were prepared for this, there were lots of early bird deals in the restaurants which we took advantage of and if all else fails theres always places like pizza hut to go where you know what price to expect.
The nightlife was lively and fun especially as we visited during the week so were not quite sure to expect.
Overall a brilliant stay and would definatley reccomend to others as a base for the city.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
ronanbrady, Manager at Kinlay House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

Great review - thanks for the feedback. Hope you'll be back soon.

There are newer reviews for Kinlay House

Reviewed 20 April 2010

After deciding to take a last minute trip to Dublin, I had a very short time in which to find somewhere to stay on a very tight budget.
I decided on Kinlay House after a bit of research and reading a couple of reviews and it completely surpassed my expectations.
I usually hate staying in hostels, prefering to save up a bit more money and book a hotel but in this situation that wasn't possible. Kinlay House was really central to all of Dublin's attractions and was really easy to find. After being caught up in all the flight cancellation drama due to the Icelandic volcano, me and my friend arrived late after a long day of travelling and the staff checked us in quickly and gave us directions to the room.
I was staying in the 24-bed dorm which was massive! All the other residents were really courteous and it was a great atmosphere (but quiet when you wanted to sleep!) and the beds were really comfy.
I never had to queue for the showers and although the water pressure was quite weak, they were always warm and adequate.
The hostel was clean and had great facilities - towel hire for 1 euro, hairdryers, toast breakfast and internet free of charge. The receptionists were great and very knowledgable about the area.
When my return flight to the UK was cancelled, they were happy to extend my booking for an extra night.
If you want 5* accommdation, pay for it, but otherwise Kinlay House was great and I wouldn't hesitate to return (and I'm a girl who loves my home comforts and a bit of luxury!)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2010

We stayed here and after spending almost $180.00 US dollars for a two bed ensuite room, we would have expected at least clean sheets! They were coverd in hair! The room had a damp moldy smell which I imagine came from the black mold growing all over the shower area. We ended up using the communal showers as our own was so filthy. I would never stay here again and also found the staff to be less than inviting.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank traveler482055082
Reviewed 19 January 2010

the kinlay hostel is very well located. breakfast is poor, reception guys are the nicest.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2009

For those travelling with Shamrocker Tours (good trip, but not reviewed in conjunction with this hostel), Kinlay House is the obvious choice due to convenience (you start the tour in reception).

However, avoid at all costs due to poor value for money. I booked the 4-bed hostel room, and for its price is NOT worth it. The bunks were shonky, the carpet was worn and dirty, and the 'upgrade' to having a bathroom (including shower) in your room was awkward when used with strangers in your room (think no fan or sound barrier!), and had a funky, dank smell. For the ladies, the communal shower was lacking in basic facilities (chairs to put your clothing on - shelf space would be fairly handy), and through preference, I'm no big fan of unisex toilets.

There was free internet - as in most hostels; working kitchen; reception were helpful, but just because I'm Australian doesn't mean I care about perpetuating some Kiwi versus Aussie banter; you get a small welcome pack with some free beer and a discount to the bar behind the hostel; and there seem to be wall safes in a public area that you are able to use for valuables.

For price, you are better served at the hotels in the immediate vicinity (adjacent and opposite, respectively in Christchurch), such as the Harding Hotel and the Jurys Inn. The cost of a double in Kinlay was the same as a double ensuite in a hotel. Though strangely for both hotels, I found that Internet prices were about 20 Euros more expensive than walking up to reception at each hotel and asking for the night rate. So, risk being roomless, or pay more to book ahead.

Would not recommend. You'll kick yourself over wasting your money.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2009

I was very curious about the arrival in Dublin, because I only saw the hotel on photos then. But I stepped into it and felt welcome. First and foremost I have to say, that it's not a hotel, but a hostel. So this means you have a general kitchen, where everybody can cook his/her own meals, and you have a laundry room.

Almost everyone is looking at the price first (I didn't care 'cause I was in a group and my teachers planned), but just for information - it is 85€ in a week for a person in a six bed room. Very good price, if you think about the location. You only have to walk 10-15 minutes to get to O'Connell Street. Trinity College and Guinness Brewery are very near too.

Service is competent. If you ask for something they always have an answer for you or a visiting tip. The bedrooms are very generous in space - while the bathroom is often quite small. You have free internet and wlan access (unlimited) and a great program (for example free irish stepdance lessons on wednesday and sunday).

Probably the greatest value is that you always meet people from all over the world there and they are also interested in talking to you. In general Dublin is a very warm-hearted city and you can experience new places while having a lot of fun. Don't let your Dublin journey be boring - go to Kinlay House!

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Stayed here before picking up the a 5 day bus trip and then again when I returned.

The Hostel is where you would want to be in Dublin, close to everything and not hard to get to and from either by Ferry or Plane.

Stayed in a female 6 bedroom, with own bathroom, they offer toast tea and coffee for breaky which helps start the day.

the tour I went on started & ended from this hostel so it was easy for me.

do the free walking tour it start just down the road...great way to learn a little history and where everything is.

The weekend I arrived there was a U2 concert in town so the place was full, great vibe

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo