“Good stay”

Ranked #54 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Ontario
“Good stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for five nights and chose the hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. The hotel and the rooms are a bit shabby--the teacups in my room were chipped, paint was peeling--this affected my rating a bit. Things I liked: good wifi; staff were generous in replenishing coffee and tea supplies in-room; excellent central location.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
hertfordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked this hotel for 4 of us to stay in 2 single rooms for 2 nights. Having visited the bar on previous visits to Dublin and having had a brilliant time, I thought it would be nice to stay in the hotel itself. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

We arrived at the hotel about 9am and left our luggage whilst we had breakfast in the hotel and then spent our day sightseeing.

On checking into our rooms, I was a little disappointed with the view – the back of the hotel, but thought it would be quieter here than at the side overlooking the hostel. I was also disappointed with the old style TV, not that we used it and the overall décor of the room was very tired.
The towel holder was rusty and the grab rail was peeling.
There was a dirty mark on the wall at eye level, looked like fan tan or something similar.

Anyway, I decided to untuck my bed as I did the sheet pulled back revealing the mattress protector which had 2 black hairs on it, I thought to myself if that is what is on the protector what is the mattress like? What a shock I got!! I have never seen such a badly stained mattress, which was clearly urine. I took photos & went to reception to show them, who said they would come up & sort it.

We were shown another room on the same floor overlooking the hostel, we refused to relocate owing to the fact my sister had stayed in one of these rooms previously & it had been noisy, so they agreed to swap my mattress over, the second mattress was also stained, with what looked like blood and sweat stains.

In the morning I decided to check my duvet, only to find stains on that too, so my sister & the other 2 in our party checked their mattresses & bedding only to find blood on one protector & urine stains on all of the mattresses. We asked to speak to the manager. He came to our room when he came on duty & said he took our complaints on the chin & would reduce our room rate for both nights, we could have left the hotel but for one more night it was more hassle than it was worth to try to find another hotel with 2 twin rooms, the city was busy as it was Pride weekend.

We didn’t sleep very well on our last night knowing what the mattresses were like along with the noise from down in the bar which could be heard even though we were on the third floor.

On checkout, we bumped into the manager who spoke with me and said “you haven’t had a good stay have you? I will write to you” I have been home 8 days now and still not heard from him…..
The rate was reduced but not by the amount the manager had said, so he had to refund us the difference.

As I haven’t heard from the manager as promised, I shall be taking my complaint further.

We will never stay in this hotel again and will not recommend anyone stay here.
I have never checked my mattress in a hotel before, but will be doing so in future and I urge anyone staying here to check their mattress.

Room Tip: Are there any good rooms here? I doubt it
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Val J
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Hotel is looking a bit tired and dated downstairs however the facilities and the staff make up for it. Made to feel very welcome by reception, very helpful booking trips, room is clean and beds comfy, showers good. Live music at night and the Celtic Night downstairs is a must, great band and great dancers and the food was surprisingly good - very well organised. Host at breakfast is fantastic cant do enough for you and the location is superb, really central just over the bridge from Temple Bar and great for shopping. Everyone we met was so warm and friendly, thank you Dublin will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank OxfordshireSue
Fraserburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I went to the Celtic Night. Am night of entertainment and a 3 course meal for €34. Great value for money and a good experience. If you do go to this night out I advise that you order a few drinks at the beginning of the show as its the only chance you will get as no bar down stairs where the show takes place. We are in our 20s and it was mainly older people at the show but was still a good night. Do recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

The Deluxe rooms are ok. Not huge, but adequate for a couple. The location of this place is excellent if you are a young, partying person. But if you are a quiet couple who likes a quiet place to sleep, this is not for you. Got sick of sirens, drunks etc outside. To be fair, it would be pretty quiet in colder weather, but since we were there during summer, and there was no air conditioning or fan, we had to open a window because it was so airless.
We adored the lady running the breakfast room. She made us feel very welcome and greeted people like friends.

Room Tip: Sign up for the dinner and Celtic music evening - we loved it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Itasca, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed in an executive room for two nights. It was huge! There was a king bed and then all the way across on the other side was an extra twin (which we did not need, but a nice place to throw a suitcase). The bathroom was pretty big as well. The only con: we were on the third floor and the elevators only access floors four and above. This was not a big deal for us, but someone who has trouble with stairs would want to make sure which room they are getting. The hotel bar is huge as well. And, when the room wasn't quite ready upon our arrival, we were offered a complimentary drink - yay! The location is excellent. Close to the Abbey St. Luas for access to the rail station, but also a quick walk across the bridge to the Temple Bar area. Free WiFi throughout was also a plus. Breakfast had a lot of variety as well, even gluten free options (not something we needed, but the first time I noticed anything like that during our trip). The staff were all very friendly as well. We had a good time and would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hoppy_Chicago
Palm Beach, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel is centrally placed, hop on hop of bus stops virtually at front door, the tram is within walking distance, rooms are spacious, clean and great value for money. The nightly Irish Dinner and Dance Show is terrific and highly enjoyable. Breakfast is 10/10.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple