“Not great - room needed much DIT”
Review of Tara Towers Hotel

Tara Towers Hotel
Ranked #109 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless someone was looking purely for a budget hotel. Whilst the location may be good for some, the location for city centre isn't great - transport links are very good but if you're looking for a base for viewing the sights, this isn't it as you can't simply walk to the sights. This may not be an issue for some but felt inconvenient for us. I do need to point out that the the staff we met were nice and the bedding and towels were spotless. However, you get the impression of a basic hotel that will not see a DIY refurb for ages. I'm not usually one to be bothered about fittings as time spent in the room is minimal but the skirting board was hanging away the wall by about 4 inches, the bathroom ceiling was peeling, I was convinced the window was open the whole time due to the breeze and noise and the radiator area was filthy. The boxing in of the pipes was awful and gave off an impression of uncleanliness. I didn't feel comfortable here as it lacked a customer service vibe.

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Requested a room on the 3rd floor (refurbished in 2012) but was given a room on the 6th floor. Room had a nice view overlooking Booterstown marsh and Dublin bay but was let down by the following; .
Room was cold and damp,
Carpet was covered in stains,
Paitwork was chipped
Radiator was not working and leaked, had dirty wet cloth wrapped around the pipes
Bed was 2 singles pushed together
Bedding was word and frayed
Mattress was covered by old duvets
Bathroom tiles needed re-grouting and a thorough clean.
Breakfast was terrible, the staff did not seem to care.
Hotel is in a good location but really needs some investment before it is beyond repair.

Room Tip: Haven't seen one but was told the 3rd floor had been refurbished in 2012. Rooms at the front hav...
1  Thank Ev0ke
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Receptionist lacked interest or courtesy. The room was cold and very unclean, two beds pushed together to make a double- bizarre. The door didn't lock properly and took a while to try close it. The table glasses were filthy. the outside carpark lights were directly shining into my room and the curtains were paper thin and didnt shield the light, so the room was permanently bright - all night. The shower was hit+miss -boiling or freezing. also The car pack ticket machine was out order, and a huge inconvenience asking the reception to help.
Disinterested staff , terrible place. for €80 room only charge. Never again.

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Fiona O
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

I booked one night in tara towers on Friday 27.09.13 for a girls night out in dublin. I had stayed in the Tara towers a few times over last few years and my sister was married there and always found it to be a clean hotel with friendly efficient staff. What a difference it was this time around. The hotel is run down and in need of a major renovation. There was paint peeling,gaps around window sills and around edge of lifts. The safety chain on inside of my door was broken. The bedside lamps where plugged into an extension lead.Overall hotel felt grubby and very tired. The girl that greeted me look like I was an inconvenience to her and she wasnt pleased when I had go back down to her as my key wouldnt work. The key system was so old it had to be jammed hard into the door to open. I booked a twin room for 1 at a cost of €69 without breakfast. I was given a room at front of hotel and was kept awake all night by traffic on main booterstown road.
On the only plus side loads of parking at a cost of €5 a day. I arrived at 5.30pm and was able to stay until 5.30 following evening.
Overall hotel was a let down after so many good years of staying there. Dont think I'll be back unless it has an overhaul.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank wickl0wgirl
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is our 4th stay at this hotel and once again thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes some area are a little tired but I have to say we have never had any issues. We were given a room on the 6th floor, fabulous view over the bay, supersize bed, flat screen tv, and enough plug sockets for all our needs. The hotel breakfast is fab, self service buffet with lots of choice. I personally cannot fault this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 604, on the top floor
2  Thank Kilcullens
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My rating of 'Very Good' is based on my expectations for a 3 star hotel which had some very good points. Although a bit shabby(which is to be expected with a lot of hotels due to the recession), I dont mind this as long as it is clean and it was. We paid a 49eur room only price for the two of us which was great value. It is an easy 5 min walk to the DART station which brings you to Aviva Stadium and Dublin City Centre in minutes. We had a very clean and comfortable bed and room (428 - nice and quiet). We also had a lovely fish and chips meal in the bar before the show, with good service and friendly staff. The cleaning staff we met in the morning were also very friendly, as were the reception staff (well, one wasnt so friendly on greeting - just a bit disinterested really). Although I believe the website says there is free parking, there is a 5eur parking charge and parking is limited but not a big deal as there is onstreet parking alongside the hotel. The breakfast is very average and pricey. 10.60eur for a continental, which had very little choice and 14.50eur for an average full breakfast option. However, I would certainly recommend the hotel to anyone going to an Aviva Stadium event.

Room Tip: 428 nice and quiet.
1  Thank MaryCork
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed in the Tara Towers for one night.
We booked through the hotels website and requested a room at the rear of the hotel.

On arrival we were told the hotel was fully booked and we were getting the last available room,
which was not only in the front of the hotel but also a smoking room. A €5 parking rate applies to hotel residents.

The room was tired and dated and the tv remote did not work.
Don't forget to bring earplugs, the windows are poor quality and the walls are paper thin.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business