“It put us off staying in a hotel 4 a long time anyway thats for sure beware”

Uppercross House Hotel
Ranked #77 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 25 May 2009

After Only Being Able to get a chance to read the reviews now after I stayed I can relate quite considerably our bad experiences.
First of all I just have to say the breakfast is a complete no no, im still very unwell from it and its been and few days and its certainly the breakfast which caused it the same as another reviewer felt, my girlfrield being a vegatarion was only offered hash browns and beans as the full breakfast.
Upon our arrival and shown to our room we knew we had made a big mistake a strong musty smell greeted us in the room followed only by the schock to see tiled flooring. We felt very uneasy and uncomfortable in the room. We then discovered that within our room there was a door into the next room which could of being very disruptive had there people being staying there.
We also incurrred the same problems of another reviewer regarding the toilet breaking, the water pressure on shower and our underfloor heating wasn't working which wasn't to bad seen as we stayed there in may!.
A taxi into dublin city is about 10/11 euro, there is a taxi rank just across from hotel which is handy.
Im sorry i dont have much good to say but i don't even like to remind myself of our stay although some staff were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JamesWicklow

Reviewed 16 May 2009

located in rathmines in dublin the uppercross house hotel surprised me with its classy stature,tucked neatly away at the top of rathmines.i organised to meet friends there and have a bite to eat and a few drinks.
it seemed to cover every eating option meaning you could eat at the bar and in whats best descibed as a tunnelled shaped glass conservatory.to finish it off they have a full restaurant upstairs.
staff were friendly and casual,be prepared for the odd jibe, locals were off all sorts office workers and students.
rooms were clean and very reasonable all the hotel staff seemed down to earth.allin all happy enough to stay again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2008

Having read the reviews here before going to stay at this hotel it was with some trepidation we set out on our journey for Dublin. However, the reviews I read could not have been more incorrect.

The staff were fantastic from the word go, they were so helpful and friendly. This was the case from check-in to check out even though they was a change of staff from one day to the next. The room was spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable and the bathroom pristine.

Breakfast on the day of our departure was excellent, again the staff in the dining room were wonderful and the food was great. One of the reviews I read complained of there not being any bread rolls only sliced pan available! If this is the only "complaint" about the breakfast I dont think the owners of the establishment have anything to worry about! We also dined in the pub attached to the front of the hotel, Mother Reillys - again, great staff, great food and the four of us will certainly be returning to this spot in the coming months.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed one night on this hotel. Our first reaction was unclean rooms that stunk of cigarettes.
It was close to busstation with buses to Dublin city centre every 10 minute.
The breakfast was awful, do they know how to make scrambled eggs? Yes, with old eggs!
So I spent the days after on the toilette. I know it was from their breakfast because I didnt eat anything else that day.
Avoid if u can.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UglyInTheMorning
Reviewed 29 May 2008

Having read some of your reviews I thought I should write mine something that always bothered me.. i stayed in uppercross house in 2005 cannot remember the exact date. I met a receptonist about 5ft 5ins approx wearing glasses dark hair and in her 30s approx. Her manner was terrible she was rude off handish etc. I was very stressed at the time and I just happened to say to her on passing I felt very stressed nothing more I remember well and she said something to the fact coming in here talking about your stress. Then i asked can i please see the room that really put her out big time. She was to put it bluntly horrible and a big turn off for me. I have since stayed in uppercross house and was made to feel so great met a beautiful foreign girl cannot remember polish or what. She restored my faith in uppercross house. I was delighted not to see the previous irish girl i had met

Stayed: December 2005
Reviewed 9 May 2008

I stopped here as part of a hen weekend, when we arrived the staff were helpful in showin us our rooms except we had requested a smoking room and wernt given one, later to be told the only available smoking room would be over a noisy part of the building. Also the bathroom door didnt shut at all. Eventually we got moved but the toliet in the new room kept breaking, the thing that you flish it with kept coming off so I had to remove the back of the cistern to get it back on! The room was clean and pleasent. The breakfast was ok, there was lots of choice but not much could be said about the full irish breakfast, it was quite overcooked. Rathmines is a bit of a distance from the airport and about 10 euro in a taxi from dublin town. It has a KFC and tesco just over the road.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 3 September 2007

My wife and I have just come back from what I can say was a fantastic weekend.
I have stayed at this hotel previously soI had knew what amenities were nearby and and that is was good location.

City centre is a 9-10euro taxi each way. st stephens green 7-8euro each way. there are several bus route to city centre so that is also and option. Airport taxi is approx 22-25 euros each way. It was 25 euros going back but there was a big all ireland final game at croke park on the way back and the traffic was a little bad.

Rody Bolands is a top pub to visit the best in dublin in my opinion. One of the main reasons I stayed at the uppercross again as it is crawling distance from the hotel literally!!!! By day they serve food up until 9pm very reasonably priced and our meals were excellent. They also have all the sports on. By night it was absolutey buzzin great atmosphere little busy but good all the same. Live music sat night also, and if you like it a little quieter but still good atmosphere the madison bar a few down the road had a live band on who were really good also.

I was a little bit dissapointed in the room however, reason being, when I had stayed before there was nice power showers, comfy beds and underfloor heated floors. This time I must of got one of the older rooms should I say. The shower had no power more like (drip trickle drip trickle!) and the hot water only kicked in when when you turned the bath tap on. The bed was also very rickety and not very comfortable. If you get room 23 ask to be moved there are better rooms in the hotel.
On arrival the receptionist wasnt very welcoming either, was too busy eating her kfc and reading he magazine. I was stood there for about 30 seconds while she probably finished off her story befor she bothered to acknowledge me. Then we checked in we didnt get told where breakfast was, this wasnt a problem as I knew where it was but she didnt know I had stayed before and and should of explained where breakfast was and what time it is served from etc.

These minor details didnt effect my weekend as I had a fantastic time. Dublin is a superb place with good people. On returning I dont think I will stay at the uppercross I will venture else way however I willl return the Rathmines and visit Rody Bolands.
Mines a Guiness!