“Did not impress unfortunately”

InterContinental Dublin
Ranked #17 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Ottawa
“Did not impress unfortunately”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

We booked the 4 Seasons Dublin as part of our honeymoon, and had high hopes for this special indulgence, but it was far the best hotel we stayed at. Check-in was slow and plagued by poor communication, but at least we had the opportunity to use the lobby computer during the delay. The major plus was that they had a small treat tray waiting for us in the room upon arrival, as well as provided airplane amenities packs upon request. Aside from that we found the price very high for the results of both the room and the restaurant (although the breakfast buffet was the exception). We didn't even sleep well as the air conditioner seemed to be broken. Upon check-out we mentioned this but the guest services manager wasn't interested. Would not recommend this Four Seasons option. Hotel location is also quite far from downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J P
GMFSD, Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear JP,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your Trip Advisor review. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this special occasion. I fully appreciate the frustration you felt on arrival and departure. This is not to our usual standard. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. I have discussed your feedback with the team to ensure it does not recur.

Should you wish to discuss any of this feedback further please email me directly at lucius.farrell@fourseasons.com and I will more than happy to follow up with you.Thank you once again and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Dublin in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Lucius Farrell
Assistant Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

It is exactly what you expect from a fabulous Four Seasons Hotel. Wonderful staff, beautiful hotel, superbly run. Everyone is so friendly and the service impeccable. A bit of luxury. Food is delicious and beautifully delivered. The only thing to note is that it is not in the centre of town - about 10 mins out by taxi. But Ballsbridge has many great pubs and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Susannah M
GMFSD, General Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Dear Susannah M,

Thank you kindly for your thoughtful review regarding your recent stay at Four Seasons Hotel Dublin. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your room and dining experiences, and I will be sure to share these comments with our team. For your consideration on your next stay, complimentary car service is available to take guests to the city centre (subject to availability) and we will be happy to assist you with any transportation needs you may require during future visits.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Four Seasons Hotel Dublin the next time your travel plans see you return to Dublin.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

We just stayed at the hotel for a few days a few weeks ago in the executive suite. We travel to Dubai twice a year and are used to outstanding service and we will say that the staff, particularly the restuarant managers were second to none. The food in the restuarant was superb as with the cocktails, however, the menu could have been more varied but this goes for most restuarants in Ireland overall…not much Asian infusion. The room was spotless, the sheets and towels were of a 5* + standard. The only problem I found rather disappointing was the lighting….we all know that hotels now need to play their part and use energy efficient lighting but each time we looked at ourselves in the mirrors in the room we felt we looked ill (slightly green)! The downside if you have children is there is nothing for them to do apart from swim….the hotel should create a room with a pool/games table. The spa was outstanding as with the products they use, we ended up purchasing a few but very expensive. If ever we rerturn to Ireland there would be no other hotel which we would even consider. Thankyou.

Room Tip: Overlooking courtyard, 4th floor...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
GMFSD, General Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear shakinborders,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review regarding your recent stay at Four Seasons Hotel Dublin. I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for your most kind comments regarding our staff and services. I also appreciate your comments regarding our menu selection, lighting, and children's activities, and I will be sure to share your comments with our team. For future stays, we offer our 'V.I.K' (Very Important Kids) Club during certain holiday periods and we would be delighted to assist in arranging activities for you and your family during your next stay. It is only through reviews such as yours that we are able to improve our guest experience. I am happy to hear that overall your recent stay was an enjoyable experience and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

My family and I stayed at Four Seasons Dublin for three nights from December 27 - 30, 2012. I booked a junior suite (227 Euro/night) and a moderate/superior room (127 Euro/night), breakfast excluded.

A few days before arrival I got an email from Four Seasons Dublin - with a big picture of the hotel entrance showing several doormen and porters welcoming new guests - asking for special enquiries or information on an allergy against flowers.

We arrived at about 6pm on December 27, 2012 - no doorman or porter at the door! I entered the lobby and wanted to check in at the front desk (which was the concierge desk in fact, what I didn't know). Without any word the concierge pointed with his fingers to the front desk, located in an opposite room. The problem: there was no staff available. So I waited about one minute, got back to the entrance and shouted into the lobby something like "Is there anybody responsible for arriving guests in this hotel"? Within the next minute three (!) empoyees arrived at the front desk for checking in my family and two other arriving ladies. I was a bit annoyed at this moment but the best was the first question of the receptionist: if I would like to have an upgrade from junior suite to a regular suite for xx Euro/night? Doing business as usual and no feeling for the situation, this really wasn't well trained.

We were guided to our rooms by this front office team member and met the two ladies checking in besides us in the elevator. They were lost as they were not guided by hotel staff and didn't know where to put their room cards to activate the elevator. - Needless to say that these two ladies did carry the luggage on their own as there wasn't any help offered as they said.

The rooms were fine (superior room 144, junior suite 139). Any special welcome was missing: no welcome note of the management or guest relationship, no chocolates or christmas sweets, no complimentary bottle of water or even a single flower in the bathroom (why did they ask if we are allergic against flowers and why is on every room photo on the Four Seasons web page a bunch of flowers?). The view of the superior room is shown on the picture ("ornate courtyard adjacent to the showgrounds of the Royal Dublin Society, or homes in the surrounding neighbourhood").

The luggage transfer from front office to the rooms took about ten minutes, 15 minutes later we discovered that we got luggage from other guests. They changed the luggage within a few minutes.

Unfortunately the restauarnt was fully booked this evening and there even were no seats available for hotel guests before 9pm. So we decided to start with the soup in the room and booked the table at 9pm. Roomservice was fine but bad luck continued as the waiter lost a big bottle of water in the room and housekeeping had to remove the glass with a vacuum cleaner afterwards.

So I complained that night at the reservation department by email. Next morning I got a nice call from the front office manager and they find a nice way to apologize. From that moment on everything was O.K. - really not breathtaking but solid service one expects in a luxury hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear Warum,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your Trip Advisor review. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations over the festive period. I fully appreciate the frustration you and your family felt on arrival, a poor welcome is not to our usual standard.

I would be happy to discuss the additional points of your review with you directly, please feel free to email me directly at lucius.farrell@fourseasons.com. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel with a view to exceeding your expectations in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Lucius Farrell
Assistant Director of Rooms
Keysville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

This is a great place to stay. Every detail is excellent. The bathroom was especially spacious and elegant. There is absolutely nothing not to like. However, two things which absolutely stood out for me were the complimentary transport via BMW and a very friendly driver into the city center and the menu at the lounge. The cheese, fruit, and bread board I ordered was a nice change. We stayed here at the end of our trip, and I was excited to see this choice on the menu. It was very substantial and beautifully served. The business center is also first rate.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
GMFSD, General Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Dear Margaretann218,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Four Seasons Hotel Dublin.

I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us, and in particular, our food and beverage offerings and complimentary transport service. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our team, as there is no better motivator than a 'job well done'. Thank you for your most kind comments regarding our staff and services.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another enjoyable stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

I really loved my stay with Four Seasons. I can not seem to fault anything with the hotel, maybe location(not too central), but not too bad.
Very personalised service, little note from the manager and a nice touch to have some complimentary chocolate on arrival. I had a junior suite which was great, but I am sure other rooms are fine too.
Everyone is trying to help and being very courteous.
Stayed one night only an did not have a chance to use hotel's pool or gym.
Definitely would not mind staying again!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Myro_LON,

Thank you kindly for your thoughtful review regarding your recent stay at Four Seasons Hotel Dublin. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your room and overall experience with us, and I will be sure to share these comments with our team. We hope that the next time you visit you can make use of our fantastic fitness, pool, and recreation facilities. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Coleraine, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Everything that you would expect from a Four Seasons Hotel. I've stayed in a few Four Seasons around the world. The Ballsbridge hotel keeps the good name and reputation of the group intact.

My wife got a shock when we entered our room to find a small but lovely birthday cake..I'd made a remark when booking and the receptionist arranged this complimentary surprise. Nice touch.

Loads of different good quality restaurants within easy walking distance and right next door to the RDS exhibition centre.

Dublin is expensive and so is the Four Seasons, but occasionally a little bit of luxury and spoiling yourself is good.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
GMFSD, General Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Dear 777Bogeyman777,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Dublin and for your valued review.

I am really pleased that we managed to create a special memory of Four Seasons Hotel Dublin for you during your wife's birthday. Please be assured that I will be sharing your words of appreciation with the team. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon for another memorable stay.