“Wonderful, but waitstaff needs help”

InterContinental Dublin
Ranked #18 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 19 October 2009

My husband and I stayed here one night before heading into the country to visit family.

Pros: I arrived early before my husband and the front desk did all they could to accomodate the type of room we wanted (we had several requirements). They so wanted me to be happy with my room, I was escorted by the front desk person to my room, and along the way she gave me a tour of the hotel. The room was quiet, beds comfy, bathroom clean with plenty of towels, nice water pressure. The strange thing was that the clock radio was a small cheap little thing---not the ones you see in other Four Seasons. Concierge and bell folks were all wonderful. Check out was easy and the woman did all she could to ensure we knew where we were going. She made great restaurant recommendations for us in Kilkenny.

Spa: After I got to my room, I called the spa to see if they had anything available in the next 2.5 hours before my husband arrived. She said she'd check, called me right back, and fit me in 1/2 hour's time. I had the most wonderful massage of my life (and I go quite often at home) by Rose. At 135 Euro, it was expensive, but worth it!

Con: The ONLY thing I can fault this place on is their lower level wait staff. One at the lobby restaurant forgot to submit half our order and seemed to have her mind elsewhere. Another at the main dining room was so snotty to me. Another brought us scrambled eggs clearly made with cream, although we asked for eggs without. The trend in Ireland seem to be that they hire folks from Eastern Europe; I'm not sure if it was a language issue or what, but they don't seem cut out for the work (I am currently reading Isadore Sharp's book, and I know the Four Seasons is more concerned with hiring the right attitude than experience). I am not looking for the waitstaff to be my new friends (as is the trend in the US) but simply to be attentive. And snotty service reminds me too much of the Ritz chain, which is why I prefer the Four Seasons in the first place.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Goldrusswoman
icdublin, Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor after your stay with us.

Reviewed 15 October 2009

I stayed at this hotel in March 2009 on a business conference and as expected from the Four Seasons brand it was luxurious, elegant and had very attentive staff. Rooms were large and well appointed. The food was also excellent, particularly so as the hotel was catering for a conference of over 100 people at the same time. The most disappointing aspect was the very poor soundproofing in the bedrooms where the sound of the TVs from rooms on either side could be clearly heard - not at all what I would have expected.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank traveller_constant
icdublin, General Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2016

Dear traveller_constant,
Thank you for choosing us as your destination for your recent stay in Dublin. Thank you also for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor.
I was disappointed to learn that on this occasion we did not manage to meet or exceed your expectations. Rest assured your feedback is taken onboard and appropriate actions are taken to prevent against a repeat.

Reviewed 22 September 2009

The Four Seasons Hotel Dublin is an elegant, quiet, luxurious hotel. Guest rooms are well decorated and spacious, with comfortable beds and large marble bathrooms. Most rooms have nice views and many have balconies. Public areas are attractive, decorated with original artwork by top contemporary Irish artists. Staff is friendly and helpful. Check-in was quick and easy. Room service was excellent.
The hotel is located a considerable distance from the tourist center. This is a plus in that it is in a quiet area, a minus in that it requires a taxi ride to get most places.
When I checked out, I was presented with the bill, which I reviewed and approved. A week later, I received an additional bill of over 100 Euros, with a note that it had already been charged to my credit card "for your convenience." Apparently, these were charges for wifi, minibar, etc. that had been incurred at various points during my stay and had somehow been left off the bill they showed me when I checked out, but it was rather confusing and difficult to verify. I called the hotel to ask about it, and was told that the manager would call me back, but he or she never did. Given that other reviewers also had complaints related to the hotel's billing practices, I think the hotel needs to address its procedures in this regard.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank AdaminDC

Reviewed 16 September 2009

We had a fantastic time at the hotel with excellent staff throughout in a beautiful appointed room. My only gripe was a mistake on our dinner bill, being charged for 2 rather than 1 bottle of wine, which was rectifyed. Dinner was excellent despite being very busy. Breakfast service was excellent at 11AM in the room following a great night out, however the rashers / sausages were cooked at 9 AM!!!! At €32.50 pp for breakfast , I would have expected it to be freshly cooked.
Would I stay again? Definitely.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JKingKerry

Reviewed 29 August 2009

The staff at the Four Seasons were courteous, friendly and efficient.
The room was immaculate and a welcome retreat for 4 consecutive days of sightseeing.
The only regret was that the food (albeit good) was a bit too cosmopolitan and not the authentic Irish fare I found elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bourne_123
icdublin, General Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2016

Dear Bourne_123,
Thank you for choosing us as your destination for your stay in Dublin. Thank you also for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to see that on a whole you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 August 2009

Having relaxed in the lovely surroundings of this hotel, I decided to order a glass of white wine. It was strong both in taste and odour. I changed it for a Pinot Grigio, funnily it didnt taste much different. Then, I reluctantly went to the bar and changed it for a New Zealand wine. It still didnt taste much different. Now mindyou, I asked two different friends to assist me in forming these opinions and we all agreed that the wine was horrible.
I switched to water for the first time ever at a function in a five star.
The glass of wine cost between 10-12 euro a glass, for that amount it should be palatable.

• Stayed: August 2009

Dear IrishPatMalaga,

Reviewed 21 August 2009

Checked in here to go to a concert. Prices are a rip off for what you get. Room was nice but over priced. Hotel was empty with no atmosphere. Decided to eat in their "Award Winning" Restaurant. This had even less atmosphere with not enough staff to cope. Food was overpriced and came out cold and overcooked. Obviously it had sat in the kitchen as there were barely any staff to take it to us. Had Dover Sole which at 38 Euros only came with two potatoes and some burnt butter. I asked if I could have "Meuniere" Sauce which is my favourite and was sent out this yellow Lemon Butter sauce which turned my stomach when I tried it as it was so bitter. I asked again for Meuniere Sauce and was told quietly by the waiter that the executive chef who was on duty told him that i had been given Meuniere Sauce. Obviously this Chef hasnt a clue and I was disappointed that an Executive Chef from a 5 star property doesnt know his basics.
I wouldnt recommend this hotels food to anyone. Overpriced Rubbish cooked by an Amateur.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RudeDawg

Dear RudeDawg,
I was most disappointed to learn that on this occasion we did not manage to meet or exceed your expectations. Rest assured your feedback is listened to and appropriate actions are taken to prevent against a repeat. It is by taking feedback onboard we have the opportunity to improve our service offering.