“Business Stay in Dublin” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trinity City Hotel

Trinity City Hotel
Ranked #51 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Business Stay in Dublin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Excellent hotel south of the river and adjacent to the University and a short walk to Temple Bar and the numerous restaurants. Rooms very good for business stop over. Relaxed atmosphere, excellent bar and breakfast facilities along with Cafe Cairo which does excellent meals and offers a 50% reduction on a choice of wine if you select a two course meal. The hotel now has a fitness room which I did not find out about until I arrived, so next time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MAKH77, Manager at Trinity City Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time with us.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Trinity Capital Hotel again in the near future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
westwood nj
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We booked three rooms way back in March and two of us were on the 6th floor. The weather was in the 60's but the rooms were in the 90's with no A/C. We do not expect A/C normally but if the hotel KNOWS this hall of rooms is always hot, why wouldn't they do something? 30 degrees higher than the outside temp is abnormal. When we asked the front desk clerk if anything could be done, her response was "'have you spoken to a manager?" Am I really supposed to track down her manager/colleague while on vacation???? Couldn't she speak to the manager on our behalf? What is her job description anyway. In addition, she booked us a car for the airport which was too small for 6 people and the luggage!! So we had to pay for two cars. Training needed for this staff for sure.....
I would stay at the Westin a block away next time.
It may be worth a trip to see the decor as it is quite different; someone was definitely on an acid trip!!!

Room Tip: do not stay on the 6th floor in the wing with the entrance by the grand pianos
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I am sorry that you did not entirely enjoy your stay with us, and we thank you for your valued feedback.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Trinity capital Hotel again in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had reserved two rooms. Upon arrival, they have us an upgrade to an exec. suite because they were unavailable to fulfill request. We happily took the upgrade and were very pleased. The staff were so courteous everywhere within the hotel: the front desk, the bell hops, the restaurant staff, etc. We recommend the buffet breakfast, very convenient and decent price. For those of you traveling alone, especially women, the hotel seemed well staffed and secure. The hotel has elevators that only stop on the floor that your room key is programmed to. Although there are always ways around these things, it does give you a bit more security that only guest can use the elevator- no toon key, no elevator.

Our party consisted of 5 adults. The weekend we stayed was a bank holiday and a 5k race day. Lots of guest in the hotel! Still the desk, swamped with guests, did it with a smile and did not let stress show. Everything is a short walk from the hotel (5-10 min) and Trinity College is across the street (Book of Kells).

The hotel has a gym on the 3rd floor, although we didn't use it.

Our room was on the 4th floor, over the fire station! Lol. We didn't notice it. The exec suite had sir conditioning and was a triple with couch, flat screen tv, and cool colorful art. Our room was a bit more sime with two twins and no a/c. Our windows did open and we were very comfortable temperature wise.

If you are a light sleeper request a room that is not street side, as revel lets will surely wake you up at around 2am when the bars close.

The night before we left, we had the front desk arrange for a cab to the airport for us-(buses were on strike). The next morning our cab was waiting for us. The cab ride was appx. 28 euro and took about 15 minutes at 5:45am.

All five of us were very pleased with our two night stay here and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Clean, friendly hotel. The food in the restaurant was surprising good for a smaller hotel, and the bar stays open late for guests. I had a room in the newer part of the hotel, which was large and very pleasant.

Conveniently located, close enough to the Temple Bar Area to make it home after a few drinks, but not too close to hear the noise.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Swindon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Perfect choice for location,staff very helpful and friendly,great breakfast. Great ambience,will recommend highly to friends. Parking was around the corner,easy to get too. Needed assistance with PowerPoint close to bed ,staff quickly organised extension cord.the rooms were very clean and quiet . We arrived too early too checkiin,the staff organised our luggage too be stored,then marked out quite a few areas of interest on a map for us,also recommended several pubs and restaurants for a meal. The pub we chose turned out to be an excellent choice.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed at the Trinity Capital for 3 nights and in general it was OK but I can't say that I understand how it's a four star. People here raved about how quirky it was but in general I found it a bit dark, worn and claustrophobic. I'm not too picky about hotels as long as they're clean but I suppose based on rave reviews here I expected better. The location is good, although yes, on a main road right next door to a fire station. And when you need to keep the windows open because it's so stuffy in the room, it can get quite loud - and I lived in NYC for 10 years so can tolerate noise. I also agree with others that the front desk staff could be a bit surly - not rude, just not exactly friendly either.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Ossining, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed in the Trinity Capital Hotel 3 times in the course of a month-long stay in Ireland, first for one night when I arrived, then 4 nights in the middle of my stay, then 1 more night at the end before leaving for home. Overall, the hotel is comfortable and I would recommend it.

Several useful things to know:
The desk staff is quite helpful, although some people are more helpful than others. Also, I wouldn't say that the demeanor of much of the front desk staff is consistent with the overall Irish character of gregarious friendliness. Rather, the folks at the desk were generally on the cool side. Still, the majority of the desk staff were very helpful on a number of occasions, and went out of their way to be helpful, including finding and holding my husband's suit coat, which he forgot in the closet when we left in the middle of our trip. They will also hold your suitcases at the desk if need be, which is a nice service. Additionally, we received a free upgrade to our room for the second and third visits during our stay, which was really nice and definitely appreciated.

Also, there aren't that many rooms with air conditioning. I understand that one rarely needs it in Ireland, but it was quite warm (relatively) when I first arrived. If you are someone who is much more comfortable with air conditioning, be sure to request a room that has it.

The location is spectacular. It's close to Temple Bar, Trinity College, Grafton Street, and the Pearse DART station, but far enough from everything that it doesn't get excessively noisy. It's also an easy walk from where the Airlink bus from the Dublin Airport drops you off. We didn't have any problems with noise from the fire station.

I did not get breakfast added to my room, but I was given a voucher for a discounted breakfast when I first arrived. The breakfast was good and quite comprehensive, but quite pricey, especially if you aren't someone who eats a lot for breakfast. If a scone and tea will be enough for you, I'd skip the breakfast and head to one of the cafes- there are tons within a 5-minute walk.

Room Tip: The Tara rooms are lovely, roomy, and air conditioned.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple